MWAF results: pictures & winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dynamo View Post

I really liked those little speakers. I also enjoyed talking to you at the show. They just look really cool, your crossover layout was very clean, and the crossover covers were very innovative and well executed.

I think the pop was an artifact of the music source and small speakers (inherently low efficiency requiring additional input power to meet the spl requirement), not a fault of your design. I’m not sure if it was between all tracks, but I noticed woofers on everybody’s speakers driven to a quick but large excursion spike between the “pink” noise and first track.

I remember hearing yours pop but don’t remember when. I suspect it was right after the noise track. I would put no effort in finding fault in your speakers because I don’t think they are the cause.
    Thanks, enjoyed talking with you at the show as well. I really liked your Dayton entry, great workmanship and unique design, a well deserved win IMO.

I won't work on it too hard, but feel I should cover any potential causes from my end. Just didn't want to jump too quick and blame the source or equipment. That and I love a good investigation, best way to learn in my book.

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post

Check for a cold solder joint. I had a similar occurrence at a NY/NJ DIY.
    Thanks, I guess that might be possible, I'll take a look. Probably unlikely though since I tightly wrapped then soldered each connection, 4thtry posted a good pic in Post #51 if you want to take a look. But there are a few connections inside I can look as well to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GTPlus View Post

Thanks, I guess that might be possible, I'll take a look. Probably unlikely though since I tightly wrapped then soldered each connection, 4thtry posted a good pic in Post #51 if you want to take a look. But there are a few connections inside I can look as well to be sure.
      That is one nice crossover assembly...weird how that sound was like a ruler snap on a desk, made me jump. I'm glad everything was OK.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Here's what I got with The Defiants

SP34: The Defiants (Under $200)
        Tom/Dickason/Jerry

Clarity:9 / 9 / 8 Avg: 8.66
        Craftsmanship: 8 / 9.5 / 9 Avg: 8.833
        Dynamic Range: 9 / 8 / 8 Avg: 8.33
        Orig/Design: 6 / 8 / 8 Avg: 7.33
        Sndstge/imaging: 10 / 9 / 8 Avg:9
        Tonal Balance: 9 / 9 / 8 Avg:8.66

Over all points: 152.5
        Over all average: 8.469

Tom Perazella:
        Upper bass bump otherwise good response. Good voices. Good transients. Good detail and space. Slight high frequency rise.

Vance Dickason:
        Very nice cosmetics - nice use of tweeter waveguide. Excellent off-axis response.

Jerry McNutt:
        Nice Design.
        #1- Very full sounding. Heft. Good! Good vocals, clip too short! want to hear more!
        #2- Good vocals. Tons of good bass.
        #3- Good details and dynamics.
        Great Job!

... So Tom gave me a 10 on soundstage / imaging, but a 6 on originality / design. I wonder if he dislikes snakes or 80's hair metal?
        Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
        Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
        The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
        SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
        The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

It was really great seeing everyone and meeting some new people as well. I have to say, this year had some of the best projects out of any I have been to previously. Very good competition! Here what I got from the judges( I was #25 Provare, 3rd place in >200). It must have been really tight, judging by the scoring.

Tom/Dickason/Jerry

Clarity:10 / 9 / 10 Avg: 9.33
          Craftsmanship: 10 / 9.5 / 9 Avg: 9.5
          Dynamic Range: 9 / 8 / 9 Avg: 8.66
          Orig/Design: 8 / 9 / 9 Avg: 8.66
          Sndstge/imaging: 9/ 9.5 / 8 Avg: 8.83
          Tonal Balance: 9 / 8/ 9 Avg:8.66

Over all points: 162
          Over all average: 9

Tom-Low bass very goo, mid bass a little high. Overall balance good. Separation of voices good

Jerry-#1 Great Bass! Dynamic, very good
          #2 Nice vocal size and clarity. Great!
          #3 Fun and clear, Handled this level well
          Thanks

Vance-Very nice finish on baffles

Comment

Wow- 1 total point between me and Keith.... Only a 5.3% difference in average score. That's close!
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Nicely done, Adam! Those are your best yet!
              Wolf
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Ben! Really enjoyed listening to yours, as usual they sounded great!

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
                  Here's what I got with The Defiants

SP34: The Defiants (Under $200)
                  Tom/Dickason/Jerry

Clarity:9 / 9 / 8 Avg: 8.66
                  Craftsmanship: 8 / 9.5 / 9 Avg: 8.833
                  Dynamic Range: 9 / 8 / 8 Avg: 8.33
                  Orig/Design: 6 / 8 / 8 Avg: 7.33
                  Sndstge/imaging: 10 / 9 / 8 Avg:9
                  Tonal Balance: 9 / 9 / 8 Avg:8.66

Over all points: 152.5
                  Over all average: 8.469

Tom Perazella:
                  Upper bass bump otherwise good response. Good voices. Good transients. Good detail and space. Slight high frequency rise.

Vance Dickason:
                  Very nice cosmetics - nice use of tweeter waveguide. Excellent off-axis response.

Jerry McNutt:
                  Nice Design.
                  #1- Very full sounding. Heft. Good! Good vocals, clip too short! want to hear more!
                  #2- Good vocals. Tons of good bass.
                  #3- Good details and dynamics.
                  Great Job!

... So Tom gave me a 10 on soundstage / imaging, but a 6 on originality / design. I wonder if he dislikes snakes or 80's hair metal?
                  Not sure where the 6 came from. I thought the blue snakeskin baffle was very original and looked fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Anybody wanna share scores to see how tight it really was? It had to have been TIGHT in the under 200, being what I got and not placing.
                    1) I'm not surprised how tight the under $200 category was and that is a good thing, so many speakers sounded good! I think it is a testament to the DIY community how people can make such good speakers from moderately prices drivers.
                    2) Looking closely at your scores, I would make two observations: for the categories that have to do with actual sound, your scores are excellent. For craftsmanship and originality they are likely below average.

Knowing from your build thread when you completed them, this is probably pretty fair. The Zingers sounded REALLY good. They are not "bad" looking, but I'd love to see Nick S.'s scores on Craftsmanship and Originality/Design on his Moon Drops. (A guess: lots of 10's.)

If you would have just had the time to veneer them in an exotic burl and put 18 coats of piano-gloss finish on them imagine where they would have scored!

Comment

Your baffles looked amazing Adam. They had lot of nice things going on, but I remember the bass quality really standing out to me as very nice.

Comment

I'm glad I do this for fun as my 7 on craftsmanship would have bothered me...
                        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Reiterating what many have already said: this is a really enjoyable event. Lots of friendly and helpful people; lots of amazing speakers; the Part Express people really work hard to make this a nice event for DIYers.

My scores and judge's comments: The Sherlocks (SP28 - Over $200 category)

Clarity: 10 / 8 / 9 Avg 9
                          Craftsmanship: 9 / 9 / 9.5 Avg 9.2
                          Dynamic Range: 9 / 7 / 8 Avg 8
                          Orig/Design: 7 / 8 / 8 Avg 7.7
                          Sndstge/imaging: 9 / 9 / 9 Avg 9
                          Tonal Balance: 8 / 8 / 8 Avg 8

Total points: 152.5
                          Average: 8.47

Comments:
                          • Judge 1:
                            • Low bass good, but upper bass heavy and not well damped.
                            • Mid and treble very well balanced.
                            • Voices well separated.
                          • Judge 2:
                            • Nice cosmetics.
                            • Nice image. Surprisingly good bass.
                            • Nice vocal size - not too big.
                            • Good vocal. A little strained at this level.
                            • Overall, very good.
                          • Judge 3:
                            • Nice cabinet work
                            • Well executed 2-way design.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

Wait, what??

Not sure where that would be coming from. The veneering and finish were outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

1) I'm not surprised how tight the under $200 category was and that is a good thing, so many speakers sounded good! I think it is a testament to the DIY community how people can make such good speakers from moderately prices drivers.
                              2) Looking closely at your scores, I would make two observations: for the categories that have to do with actual sound, your scores are excellent. For craftsmanship and originality they are likely below average.

Knowing from your build thread when you completed them, this is probably pretty fair. The Zingers sounded REALLY good. They are not "bad" looking, but I'd love to see Nick S.'s scores on Craftsmanship and Originality/Design on his Moon Drops. (A guess: lots of 10's.)

If you would have just had the time to veneer them in an exotic burl and put 18 coats of piano-gloss finish on them imagine where they would have scored!
                              The finish was simple, as was the rest of the build. With the driver cost, it would not make sense to go with exotic veneer. Also, since my garage is the target, I didn't want to go that route. Nick's are always flawlessly finished, so that is his normal. Originality I'm sure was not high on my scoring, but with a regular box you get that. I would not say my craftsmanship is below average if you look at what the numbers represent. They also were already very smooth and shiny, without many flaws.
                              Later,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                                I thought your build quality and finish was flawless.

Comment

Working...
                                X