Nice!!

Tom:
    No Low bass Weak midbass. Voices thin Dynamic range poor
    Can't handle power
    voices congested

Vance:
    Need a highpass on the the woofer, bot
    otherwise a nice "Mini Monitor"

I'm not going to bring small speakers to MWAF again!

Comment

Here are more scores for my <$200 entry. Considering the low cost of the drivers and simple design I really can't complain.

SP5: Woodies
      Jerry/Tom/Vance/ AVG
      Clarity: 8/9/8.5 /8.5
      Craftsmanship: 7/8/8/ 7.667
      Dynamic Range: 8/7/8/ 7.667
      Originality/Design: 7/6/8/ 7
      Soundstage/Imaging: 9/8/9/ 8.667
      Tonal Balance: 8/8/8.5/ 8.1667

Total: 144
      Avg: 8

Jerry:
      #1 Clear-Nice. Very open. Great Image Good balanced sound.
      #2 Great image. good vocals.
      #3 Very dynamic - handled it well.
      Great!!

Tom:
      Overall balance good. slight rise in low mid, high bass. space good.
      Transients good.

Vance:
      Nice sounding Two-Way monitor

Comment

My over $200 entry was the most disappointing to me considering the amount of work I put into the design. I didn't think they had a chance of winning but a better score would have been nice.

SP4: Versono
        Jerry/Tom/Vance
        Clarity: 8/8/9/ 8.333
        Craftsmanship: 10/9/9/ 9.333
        Dynamic Range: 7/7/8/ 7.333
        Originality/Design: 8/8/8.5/ 8.167
        Soundstage/Imaging: 8/7/8 7.667
        Tonal Balance: 8/7/8 7.667

Total: 145.5
        AVG: 8.083

Jerry:
        High Tech: Great job on design.
        #1 Good image. bass is there good detail.
        #2 Nice. Voice ok. Big sounding.
        #3 Nice pace, foot tapping good!
        Thanks!!

Tom:
        Very low bass missing, upper bass a little exaggerated.
        Upper mid a little forward
        top a little bright.

Vance:
        Great application of 3D printing TECH.

I didn't bring my best game but I had fun talking to people and got a lot of inspiration from all the great speakers at the event.
        Shawn

Comment

Shawn, I liked your over 200 entry the best of your entries this year. I felt the bass was extended well, but peaked a little on upper bass. The driver integration wasn't awful, but could have been better. I did think they were a bit shouty, and maybe pushed the tweeter a bit hard in that larger venue. That said, the mids were very clean, and I liked the bass attack and definition. I believe you were in 7th on my list, but it was really tight up there.

I am really splitting hairs here, as they were quite well done.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf, Thanks for the feedback on my speakers. Integrating those driver together was a pain in the you know where; I almost gave up on that combination many times. The biggest issue was phase tracking.

Comment

I thought your Two Cherries were gorgeous and very well finished.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                Your baffles looked amazing Adam. They had lot of nice things going on, but I remember the bass quality really standing out to me as very nice.
                Thanks dynamo! I was impressed with the RSX and had the safaris in the top 4.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                  I'm glad I do this for fun as my 7 on craftsmanship would have bothered me...
                  John, I have to say your craftsmanship is always topnotch, and the projects from this year were no exception. Seems like the scoring always has at least one score or comment that is a head scratcher.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM3 View Post

John, I have to say your craftsmanship is always topnotch, and the projects from this year were no exception. Seems like the scoring always has at least one score or comment that is a head scratcher.
                    on both comments. John's work always looks flawless to me.

Great job on your speakers, BTW. You have some seriously well rounded skills!
                    Dan N.

Comment

• Thanks for the nice comments, I assume one judge just did not like the look of my speakers, which is fine. I have nothing to complain about. I am grateful for my second place finish with the C-cake.

I really enjoy seeing what everyone brings and the quality of work.
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Here are the scores for my Cornettas in the >$200 category (Tom/Jerry/Vance):
                        Clarity: 10/9/8.5 (9.17 avg)
                        Craftsmanship: 10/8/9 (9.0 avg)
                        Dynamic Range: 9/9/9 (9.0 avg)
                        Originality/Design: 8/7/8 (7.67 avg)
                        Soundstaging/Imaging: 10/9/8 (avg 9.0)
                        Tonal Balance: 9/9/9 (avg 9.0)
                        Total: 158.5 (avg 8.81)

Adam's 3rd-place Provare design (really super finish on them Adam) in this category had a total score of 162 (9.0 avg). Dan Neubecker's 1st-place Mystiques (typically original and unique cabinetry/design) had a total score of 167 (9.28 avg). Two years ago when my Brioso speakers won 1st place in this same category, their total score was 160 (8.89 avg). Clearly the scoring shows the competition is getting tougher because the speakers are getting better. Again, congratulations to all of the winners.
                        Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          Here are the scores for my Cornettas in the >$200 category (Tom/Jerry/Vance):
                          Clarity: 10/9/8.5 (9.17 avg)
                          Craftsmanship: 10/8/9 (9.0 avg)
                          Dynamic Range: 9/9/9 (9.0 avg)
                          Originality/Design: 8/7/8 (7.67 avg)
                          Soundstaging/Imaging: 10/9/8 (avg 9.0)
                          Tonal Balance: 9/9/9 (avg 9.0)
                          Total: 158.5 (avg 8.81)

Adam's 3rd-place Provare design (really super finish on them Adam) in this category had a total score of 162 (9.0 avg). Dan Neubecker's 1st-place Mystiques (typically original and unique cabinetry/design) had a total score of 167 (9.28 avg). Two years ago when my Brioso speakers won 1st place in this same category, their total score was 160 (8.89 avg). Clearly the scoring shows the competition is getting tougher because the speakers are getting better. Again, congratulations to all of the winners.
                          Paul
                          I forgot to include the judges' comments:
                          Tom: Good low bass. Good tonal balance. Beautiful wood working. Nice soundstage.
                          Jerry: Nice cosmetics
                          #1-Great image. Great bass-well defined. Nice weight to bass.
                          #2-Nice-Relaxed, but detailed. Good image.
                          #3-Great attack. No strain at this level.
                          Vance: Beautiful cabinet.

Comment

• Another thing that may have boosted the overall scoring this year was the venue itself. The dance hall used in prior years only had an acoustical suspended type ceiling (11.5 feet high) in just the front half of the space. The back half of the space had a slightly higher ceiling with hard reflective surfaces and no acoustical tiles. This created an echo chamber effect in the back half of the room. Also, the back part of the room extended sideways beyond the black curtains into another large, undamped room.

The Bingo hall, on the other hand, had an 11.5 foot high suspended acoustical ceiling throughout the entire space. PE rolled out a thin carpet over the front 2/3rds or so of this space, which, in combination with the black drapes installed all around, made the entire space fairly neutral.
                            SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
                            Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
                            Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                            Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

• Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                              Here are the scores and comments for the Mystiques:

Scoring: McJerry/TomP/VanceD/Average

Clarity: 9/10/9/9.33
                              Craftmanship: 10/8/9.5/9.17
                              Dynamic Range: 9/9/9/9.0
                              Originiality/Design: 10/9/9.5/9.50
                              Soundstage/Imaging: 9/10/9/9.50
                              Tonal Balance: 9/10/9/9.33

Overall Points: 167
                              Overall Average: 9.28

Comments:

McJerry: Nice Form function. Good use of physics! 1)Good bass/Good Image/Depth good 2)Open sound/Good vocal/Good Image 3)No strain/Good Vocal. Great!!
                              TomP: Low and mid bass range very good. Voices very good. Good separation of instruments and voices
                              VanceD: Outstanding Cabinet construction
                              Congrats, Dan, on your 1st place finish. Well deserved. Is there a writeup somewhere on these speakers? I always like to read the details of how you go about designing your creations. They are always well thought out. Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
                                SP# 22 Moondrops
                                under $200

Jerry/Tom/Vance

Clarity 9/10/9 avg 9.33
                                Craftsmanship 10/10/9.5 avg 9.83
                                Dynamic range 9/9/8 avg 8.66
                                Originality/design 10/9/10 avg 9.66
                                Soundstage/imaging 9/10/9 avg 9.33
                                Tonal balance 9/9/9 avg 9

overall points 167.5
                                overall average 9.3

comments

Jerry

Great design. Great research.
                                1 Great image, nice balance, fun sounding
                                2 Handled elevated bass well, great vocals, bass pace is correct, foot tapping
                                3 Great dynamics
                                Great job!!

Tom

Frequency balance very good. Voices & separation of voices very good, space around instruments & voices very good. Voices of instruments very good. Slight mid bass hump. Transients excellent.

Vance

Stunning cosmetics, interesting tweeter topography.
                                Congrats, Nick, on your first place finish. Almost perfect scores on craftsmanship and originality. And almost perfect scores on the sonic elements as well. Very well done.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X