MWAF results: pictures & winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Got the scores. This was initially an active speaker and I had a bunch of steep notches etc to shape the response and steep crossover slopes. Going passive I tried to recreate the FR response, and the initial versions had a lot more parts, which were then cut down in order to simplify. It turned out good for what it is as I couldn't hear much of a difference between a more complex crossover and a simpler one... The current XO has has 6 parts on the woofer and 7 on the tweeter. The tweeter is also not the easiest to work with and I prefer the non waveguide version of the Wavecor tweeter - it reaches just as low and has a smoother FR. Also, it is not a transmission line, but a simple tall ported box with a curved back... the dimensions have not been optimized for MLTL

Also, this project is the "Autumn Vibes", the 1701 which was on the card is supposed to another project which i didn't complete - so this stood in its place! The box is Duratex Brown and the baffle is oak, grain filled and transtint orange with waterbased varnish

Category / Vance / McJerry / Avg
    Clarity - 9.5/9/6 / 8.16
    Craftsmanship - 9/8/8 / 8.33
    Dynamic Range - 8/8/6 / 7.33
    Originality/Design - 9/7/7 / 7.66
    Soundstage / Imaging - 9/6/6 / 7
    Tonal Balance - 8/6/7 / 7
    Total = 136.5, Avg = 7.58

Comments:

Vance:
    Beautiful Front Baffle
    Well executed 2 way 8" design

Tom:
    Low bass weak
    Imaging shallow and not stable
    Lower treble forward

McJerry:
    Very Nice cosmetics, Love the colors, Nice shape of the box
    #1 - Nice, Ok image
    #2 - Ok Vocals, slight sibliance
    #3 - Vocal a little muddled on this track. Cut 1-2khz a little

Usually i get to play my speakers at a few venues and get feedback in bigger rooms, but didn't a get a chance for this pair in it's passive form, so please give your feedback / notes etc regarding this speakers...
    Which judge was seated closest to a dead center sweet spot? I'm assuming maybe it was Vance. Maybe the speakers have a narrow sweet spot.

Comment

• Tom was in the middle, Jerry on the left side and Vance on the right side. While each speaker set played, Vance got up and walked around a bit apparently to get a handle on width of sound stage.
      Paul

Originally posted by rpb View Post

Which judge was seated closest to a dead center sweet spot? I'm assuming maybe it was Vance. Maybe the speakers have a narrow sweet spot.

Comment

• Or maybe he was looking way to escape. You would have strap me down like Alex in Clockwork Orange to get me to listen to that many speakers in that short a time period. You can’t meaningfully Judge very good speakers in that short of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by fdieck View Post
          Or maybe he was looking way to escape. You would have strap me down like Alex in Clockwork Orange to get me to listen to that many speakers in that short a time period. You can’t meaningfully Judge very good speakers in that short of time.
          +1 I think that explains some of the inconsistency I was seeing. With more than 10 speakers in the over and under $200 it might be better to break the large groups up and have a run off the of the top three in each group. If we were to add a run off we could break a big group into testing on Friday night. A run off would also get more judge ear time on the top projects.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• After about trial six in the Black Box competition at one of Wolf’s gatherings, I would have signed a confession to almost anything short of homicide. I could not even pick out my own speakers that finish third.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
              Tom was in the middle, Jerry on the left side and Vance on the right side. While each speaker set played, Vance got up and walked around a bit apparently to get a handle on width of sound stage.
              Paul

Sounds like a great event, were the judges really Tom and Jerry?!

Just being silly, but for a while we had Tony Abbott as Prime Minister and Peter Costello as Treasurer!

Sadly for the headline writers, the Abbott and Costello government did not last long.

Geoff

Comment

• SP32: Easter Eggs with Big Woofer
                Tom B./Vance D./Jerry McN.
                Clarity: 2/5/3
                Craftsmanship: 2/8/6
                Dynamic Range: 2/3/3
                Originality/Design: 10/9.5/10+
                Soundstage/Imaging: 1/5/4
                Tonal Balance: 1/5/4

I certainly had fun. And if others had fun with my entry, I count it a success, for my part.

After I disassembled Big Woofer, I found at least three drivers that did not stay glued to the cardboard tabs that connected them to the big dome, so instead of driving it their dustcaps were tapping against it when driven loud enough. No wonder it made lots of ugly noises. I might have won “most fartliche” if I hadn’t been competing with the Wright Bros. flight simulator.

After I disassembled the Easter Eggs, I found a dead resister in series with the midrange driver, which means the midrange disappeared in the left channel. No wonder I got low scores on imaging and tonal balance. There was more to the difference in timbre than just the difference in timber.

After I disassembled the crossover box, I found a significant pool of incapacitance in the bottom, where it had apparently accumulated instead of being distributed, meaning the Capacitative Aura control knob wasn’t functioning, which could explain the slightly veiled upper midriff clearly audible to those who knew how to listen for it.

One might wonder what it would take to get Vance to give a score of 10 for Originality, if not to this project, but I will agree there were ways I could have improved on Design. I can think of lots of ways to improve that design; I pray and pray I will never ever let myself try to do so.

I was impressed with Chris’s elegant style in his RSX and Barrett’s deep communing with a maple tree. I also give style points to Ethan’s OSB line arrays—guerilla speaker building at its best. I was impressed with the problem solving that went into J. Hollander’s C-Cake and Bill’s Side Towers.

I apologize for missing the <$200 category. I got caught in a time warp and time sink at the tent sale. Maybe in a year or two I will bring something unpredictable using 140 $.54 drivers.

I think the judging needs to be reorganized so that when listening, small speakers are competing only with other small speakers, and the music is accordingly band limited, so they do not suffer from trying to play bass they were never designed to play. Maybe listening tests could be three categories: Small, Big, and Active. Then other awards could be given for best use of Dayton drivers and most economical, plus maybe separate awards also for best craftsmanship and design.

Meredith

Comment

• I hate when my capacitative aura leaks! Awesome project Meredith, I was completely entertained. 9.5 on originality.....completely wrong, Jerry has it right 10+.

Comment

• Sorry, late to the party. Better late than never, I say!! Great meet as usual, fab to see all the speaker geek nation united. Got to meet some new people and catch up with the old. Thanks for all the kind words and such for my project. Defiantly super awesome creation this year, so many fantastic builds. The eye candy was totally on point this year. Thanks to all the judges and to PE for putting on a hella show again. Scores for my project:

Jerry/Tom/Vance
                    Clarity: 7/9/9
                    Craftsmanship: 7/9/9.5
                    Dynamic Range: 6/9/8
                    Originality: 8/10/9.5
                    Sstage/Imagining: 5/8/9
                    Tonal Balance: 7/7/9

Comments:

Jerry:
                    Nice bass-well defined. Small image
                    Nice vocals. Sound stage small
                    A little strained at this level.
                    Overall very good

Tom:
                    Low bass excellent. Mid bass a little forward. Midrange a little forward. Voices well separated.

Vance:
                    Interesting network design.
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

• Originally posted by 4thtry View Post

Ani, Did you voice these to be placed against a wall with little to no BSC? I was sitting way off to one side and could hear very little bass coming from your speakers. The low notes on the 1st track were completely missing. This is probably what made them sound thin & slightly bright with a limited sense of depth. Sorry for the negative comments; just trying to provide some useful feedback, as you requested. Cosmetically, very beautiful cabinet work with an interesting curved back detail which probably helps to spread out internal cabinet resonances.
                      it is voiced for playing in my living room, close to the wall and crowed by furniture... of course a much smaller room, so the bass fills in nicely. They are crossed around 1800, so might be beaming a bit. There is BSC but not the full 6DB

Also negative comments are good, after listing to the speakers for a while, becomes very difficult to make out faults. MWAF is very short listening time. I do like taking my projects to different venues and listening with other projects and sizes/type of speakers and of course soliciting feedback

Comment

Working...
                      X