Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for big silly garage speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for big silly garage speakers?

I'm looking for ideas on building some garage speakers. I have a pretty high ceiling so I thought it would be fun to put in a pair of obnoxiously large speakers to jam out to 80s music while I work on other dad things. I don't need amazing sound quality but would like them to be passable. I'm looking to spend $100 total on components, I'll build the boxes outside of that budget. Any similar projects out there or suggestions? Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm more into a big subwoofer and smaller speakers. Less box diffraction that way. For your budget, I'd not go big and you certainly can't afford a sub. I have a pair of 80's speakers that would cost about $50 to ship to you, we found them on the street for free, they sound pretty good. The main reason why it costs $50 is that they are so damn big and heavy. But for large speakers, using the cheapest drivers you can find, you need at least a budget of $300, about $200 for drivers and $100 for crossover parts.

They are Sansui, have somewhat silly surrounds around the tweeter to make them look like a leaf tweeter, use the same drivers as any other 80's large speaker, and could use a couple of lpads on the mid driver to tone down the mids by about 2 db.

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...rs-based-3-way.

^^^These.

I didn't price out the crossover components but it looks like about $80 in drivers. I'm sure the total is more than $100 but not by too much. Big! And sealed, which is good for a garage assuming you live wear there are bugs and/or will do any wood working that creates dust.

Comment

Second for the link above. $100 won't get you much that is big.

Comment

Depends on what you consider obnoxiously large. Maybe some massive Klipsch horn clones? I'd be tempted to start with the closeout 15" FSL-1520R02-08, an F3 of 40Hz in an 8 cubic foot box. Topped with something like Dayton H6512 waveguide and the Celestion CDX1-1010 or the buyout 7x10 horn tweeter . That's about 75 bucks, so 25 left for crossovers. If 8 c.f. is too big, the woofer will do an F3 of 60Hz in 6c.f. and then just use the bass control to bring the levels up a little.

So there's a suggestion for a hundred dollar speaker with around a 95 dB sensitivity, pretty good response and enough output to to p*ss the neighbors off

Comment

I will third the link above. While I have not heard them personally, Johnny is a respected designer and that build is and has been the go-to build suggestion by several people on the board for cheap monkey coffins.

Comment

If I had that kind of room I would not be able to pass up a humungous 3 way horn (including a bass horn). You could power it with a 1W class A amp built out of a few resistors, a transistor, and a cap, powered by a discarded wall wart or laptop supply. Actually I'd build multiple 1W amps and ditch the whole passive cross over and go low level active (just resistors, caps, and op-amps). Of course, the driver cost would probably have to stretch to $200, but all the rest of the electronics (and XO) would be super cheap - maybe $20. It might also be outside the skill set of a lot of folks (just like making a nice looking box is outside my skill set). I'm pretty sure it could PO the neighbors...

Comment

I'd monitor craigslist for a pair of older speakers ... Klipsch Cornwalls or something similar.

Comment

For twice that amount, you could build Dave Tennie's "Dayton 8" project.

Comment

Working...
                  X