Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to switch Amp source for a single set of speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to switch Amp source for a single set of speakers?

I have one listening space which is also the HT space. I have a decent Onkyo TX-NR555 AV receiver, but am enamored with the idea of a better amp for music. Is there any sort of device available or that could be made to power a single set of speakers (currently KEF Q100, but am building a pair of Classix 2.5s) from 2 different amp sources. I'm imagining speaker cables going into this from each source and a single set coming out with a switch to let you select the amp/receiver source. not going to have 2 sets of speakers in the room. Would obviously connect turntable to the "better" amp, plus some sort of digital source

Some amplifiers are not all that happy running unloaded. What is more commonly done is that you use the front L+R pre-out from your home theater receiver and send that into the inputs on your nicer amp so that you can just use it as the front L+R amp when you're watching movies.

Comment

The Onkyo doesn't appear to have preouts.

I have stereo LXminis and a separate HT system. Kept it small, no problem.

Comment

Just use the pre-out for zone-2.
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Duh.

Comment

I did this with a very simple A/B switch put together with parts from PE.
            It worked for both 2 sources or 2 speaker sets.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/17g7b8qme/

Andy.

Comment

Define 'better amp'. 0.08% THD isn't exactly shabby. It might be a bit underpowered, AVRs never meet their claimed spec with all channels driven, but that's more likely to be a problem for surround HT than for 2 channel music.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                Wolf
                Hmm, I have Zone 2 passive speakers already wired for downstairs, I wonder if having Zone 2 preamp outs connected to 2nd amp will kill the ability to drive those Zone 2 passive speakers. Will have to look at the manual or just try it an see

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                  Define 'better amp'. 0.08% THD isn't exactly shabby. It might be a bit underpowered, AVRs never meet their claimed spec with all channels driven, but that's more likely to be a problem for surround HT than for 2 channel music.
                  Guttenberg's review today of the Cambridge Audio AXA35 brought on a case of G.A.S. I'd looked at going with a "hi-end" A/V receiver. Those get really pricey and that Onkyo has some really cool features like Spotify Connect which I use quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by andykriech View Post
                    I did this with a very simple A/B switch put together with parts from PE.
                    It worked for both 2 sources or 2 speaker sets.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/17g7b8qme/

Andy.
                    That's what I was thinking about. Didn't know if a pre-made switch like this already existed. Looks easy enough. Do you happen to have a part number for the switch/board?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Wolf
                      On the back panel the "Pre-Out" label is identified with subwoofer. Do you mean "line Out"? And does line out have all the A/V Receiver's pre-amp settings in the signal? I would think so but I couldn't get that from the unit's user manual. It only had the line out spec: 2.3 mV at 2.3K Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

On the back panel the "Pre-Out" label is identified with subwoofer. Do you mean "line Out"? And does line out have all the A/V Receiver's pre-amp settings in the signal? I would think so but I couldn't get that from the unit's user manual. It only had the line out spec: 2.3 mV at 2.3K Hz.
                        No, Wolf is talking about the separate preamp stereo output that is designated for “Zone 2” on this receiver

Comment

Originally posted by mhester View Post
                          Guttenberg's review today of the Cambridge Audio AXA35 brought on a case of G.A.S.
                          A completely subjective review is as useful as mammary glands on a male bovine, unless of course it's done in a double blind along with other amps.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by paulbirkeland View Post
                            Some amplifiers are not all that happy running unloaded.
                            I believe this is typically an issue limited to amps with transformer output stages, like a lot of tube amps.

Comment

+1. The output devices of an SS amp with no load don't produce current, so it's not a problem. Power tubes put current into the output transformer primary whether there's a load or not. That current can cook the transformer and blow the tubes when the lack of a load gives it no other outlet.
                              www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
                              X