Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to switch Amp source for a single set of speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andykriech
    replied
    Originally posted by mhester View Post

That's what I was thinking about. Didn't know if a pre-made switch like this already existed. Looks easy enough. Do you happen to have a part number for the switch/board?
    mhester, I can't remember what the part number is and i couldn't find it in a quick search. it is a simple speaker A/B selector switch, but I don't know what eh PE name for it to be able to look it up...
    you might try calling PE support to see if they could figure that it is.

Sorry. Andy.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I don't think PE sells these.
    Amazon.com: Baomain 4 Pole Double Throw Electric Brake Safety Knife Switch 380V 100A: Home Improvement

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Just use the pre-out for zone-2.
    Wolf
    Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap! I forgot that freaking Onkyo will only run Zone 2 from non-HDMI sources!!! This won’t work for TV at all. Will have to do the switch box route. Only way to run stream thru it will be via BT I guess. Unless I perhaps dedicate a laptop for Spotify and connect directly to the Carver receiver. Not like that idea at all.

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Wolf
    I need to run Zone 2 speakers off the B speaker outs on the Carver. In the setup on the Onkyo you have to choose whether Zone B will be run via the Onkyo via the speaker outs or external amp. So I have the functionality of the Onkyo and TV with a nice amp running me L/R speakers now, plus my downstairs Zone 2. Only thing O can’t do is separately control volume downstairs but I can put a rheostat in to manually do that. I’m a pretty happy camper now! Thanks Wolf and everyone else. Allman Bros “Whipping Post” from Live at Fillmore East sounds killer on a Sunday afternoon!

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    A completely subjective review is as useful as mammary glands on a male bovine, unless of course it's done in a double blind along with other amps.
    I’m not getting that amp. I’ve just been wanting an AB amp and it’s just that his review happened to spur on that desire. I actually found a working Carver HR-742 locally on Craigslist for $85 that I’m picking up today. He has it hooked up to speakers, CD and turntable for auditioning.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    +1. The output devices of an SS amp with no load don't produce current, so it's not a problem. Power tubes put current into the output transformer primary whether there's a load or not. That current can cook the transformer and blow the tubes when the lack of a load gives it no other outlet.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    Originally posted by paulbirkeland View Post
    Some amplifiers are not all that happy running unloaded.
    I believe this is typically an issue limited to amps with transformer output stages, like a lot of tube amps.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by mhester View Post
    Guttenberg's review today of the Cambridge Audio AXA35 brought on a case of G.A.S.
    A completely subjective review is as useful as mammary glands on a male bovine, unless of course it's done in a double blind along with other amps.

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

On the back panel the "Pre-Out" label is identified with subwoofer. Do you mean "line Out"? And does line out have all the A/V Receiver's pre-amp settings in the signal? I would think so but I couldn't get that from the unit's user manual. It only had the line out spec: 2.3 mV at 2.3K Hz.
    No, Wolf is talking about the separate preamp stereo output that is designated for “Zone 2” on this receiver

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Wolf
    On the back panel the "Pre-Out" label is identified with subwoofer. Do you mean "line Out"? And does line out have all the A/V Receiver's pre-amp settings in the signal? I would think so but I couldn't get that from the unit's user manual. It only had the line out spec: 2.3 mV at 2.3K Hz.

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Originally posted by andykriech View Post
    I did this with a very simple A/B switch put together with parts from PE.
    It worked for both 2 sources or 2 speaker sets.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/17g7b8qme/

Andy.
    That's what I was thinking about. Didn't know if a pre-made switch like this already existed. Looks easy enough. Do you happen to have a part number for the switch/board?

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    Define 'better amp'. 0.08% THD isn't exactly shabby. It might be a bit underpowered, AVRs never meet their claimed spec with all channels driven, but that's more likely to be a problem for surround HT than for 2 channel music.
    Guttenberg's review today of the Cambridge Audio AXA35 brought on a case of G.A.S. I'd looked at going with a "hi-end" A/V receiver. Those get really pricey and that Onkyo has some really cool features like Spotify Connect which I use quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• mhester
    replied
    Wolf
    Hmm, I have Zone 2 passive speakers already wired for downstairs, I wonder if having Zone 2 preamp outs connected to 2nd amp will kill the ability to drive those Zone 2 passive speakers. Will have to look at the manual or just try it an see

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Define 'better amp'. 0.08% THD isn't exactly shabby. It might be a bit underpowered, AVRs never meet their claimed spec with all channels driven, but that's more likely to be a problem for surround HT than for 2 channel music.

Leave a comment:

• andykriech
    replied
    I did this with a very simple A/B switch put together with parts from PE.
    It worked for both 2 sources or 2 speaker sets.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/17g7b8qme/

Andy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X