Towers of Awesomeness Finally Completed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towers of Awesomeness Finally Completed

The Towers of Awesomeness are finally up and playing. Each 7' 11" dipole array incorporated twelve 7" Dayton Esoteric midwoofers and nine BG Neo8 PDR tweeters. The subwoofer is a 12" Dayton Ultimax with the Dayton 500W plate amp. They are controlled by a DEQX digital equalizer and crossover. The crossover is a 48dB/octave at 1,200 hz. For perspective, the ceiling of the alcove behind them is 8'.

What do they sound like?

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
      What do they sound like?
      I hope you realize that's like asking a new mom if her baby is beautiful. I actually completed them a few weeks ago, and initially they were a great disappointment. Then, after placing my ear in front of each driver I realized the voice coil in one woofer was rubbing, and one set of three tweeters was disconnected - a wire had pulled out of a connector. With that repaired I was finally able to measure them using the Omni mic system, which told me the tweeter arrays were about 3dB too loud for the woofers, so I backed them down 3dB. Now they sound the way I expected them to sound - very dynamic, almost limitless power handling capacity, and they sound the same whether you're sitting or standing. Very happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by FredT View Post

I hope you realize that's like asking a new mom if her baby is beautiful.
        Lol - Only too well.

I was so excited when I completed the first set of speakers I ever built. I turned to the girlfriend and asked her what she thought - I soon came crashing back down to earth when she said my large, 50ltr towers, sounded like the kind of speakers you got with a cheap 80s mini system

Comment

Nicely done !!

Comment

Those are cool. They would be a good entry for MWAF, but that would be quite a road trip.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

The only filtering that you mentioned is a 48dB/oct 1.2kHz highpass and lowpass. Are you using any other filtering or EQ as part of the crossover system?

Have you performed any measurements of, or done any modeling of, the frequency response from the system?
              Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I hope they sound as awesome as they look!
                "She don't love my speakers anymore..."

Comment

Wow, they look very nice and your driver quality (and cost) is not insignificant!

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                    The only filtering that you mentioned is a 48dB/oct 1.2kHz highpass and lowpass. Are you using any other filtering or EQ as part of the crossover system?

Have you performed any measurements of, or done any modeling of, the frequency response from the system?
                    Yes, those BG Neo8 tweeters have a large peak at about 13khz that must be filtered out. Passive crossovers use a notch filter, I'm using the equalizer in the DEQX. It's very hard to model a line array because of the way an array of woofers behaves - it's much like there's a 6dB/octave filter low pass filter, even with no crossover. I use the Omni mic system to measure, then I make adjustments to the equalizer and measure again until the frequency response looks reasonably smooth. After this I make small adjustments by ear. The DEQX is capable of making all these adjustments automatically with the typical point source speakers but not with a line array. For those who might not be familiar with this technology, here's some info: https://www.deqx.com/technical/
                    Last edited by FredT; 07-23-2019, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                      Wow, they look very nice and your driver quality (and cost) is not insignificant!
                      24 Esoteric woofers and 18 BG tweeters do add up to a few $$$. Few speaker manufacturers have been able to successfully market a line array design because of the cost of the parts. If the parts cost $4K the speakers would have to sell for at least $20K. A few small direct sale companies have offered completed line arrays for less than $20K. http://www.selahaudio.com/torre

Comment

Those look really nice. They're huge but I imagine it sounds amazing.
                        "If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane..." -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

OMG - those are sexy! I've built several arrays, but have been limited to cheap buy-out drivers . I can only imagine what these sound like with quality components, after you get them dialed in. Limitless headroom..Hell Yah! You'll go deaf before the drivers are even close to their limits ;)

One thing I've found. The sound of an array doesn't really "gell" until you get a little distance between you and the speakers. Hopefully those are in a pretty big room.

Comment

Originally posted by FredT View Post
                            It's very hard to model a line array because of the way an array of woofers behaves
                            Modeling a line array is actually quite easy using The Edge set to "open baffle" mode:
                            http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/edge/edge.php

The Edge is a diffraction simulator that can model multiple identical drivers on a closed or open planar baffle of any shape. Drivers can be round or rectangular, so you could model both the line of Esoteric woofers, and/or the line of B&G Neo8's, just not simultaneously. You will at least get a good estimate of the low frequency open baffle response that you can expect from your line, and that is difficult to measure directly. That will help you design the EQ to compensate down to where your sub(s) take over.

HINT: when you model a driver in The Edge, represent the driver by a shape that represents the radiating area of the driver only. Do not include the frame of the driver. E.G. for a "woofer" that would be the cone and 1/3rd of the surround on either side of it.
                            Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Wow nice work.....only down fall is those speakers will require tall ceilings which wont work in my home. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X