X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fatmarley
    replied
    Originally posted by FredT View Post

I hope you realize that's like asking a new mom if her baby is beautiful.
    Lol - Only too well.

I was so excited when I completed the first set of speakers I ever built. I turned to the girlfriend and asked her what she thought - I soon came crashing back down to earth when she said my large, 50ltr towers, sounded like the kind of speakers you got with a cheap 80s mini system

Leave a comment:

• FredT
    replied
    Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
    What do they sound like?
    I hope you realize that's like asking a new mom if her baby is beautiful. I actually completed them a few weeks ago, and initially they were a great disappointment. Then, after placing my ear in front of each driver I realized the voice coil in one woofer was rubbing, and one set of three tweeters was disconnected - a wire had pulled out of a connector. With that repaired I was finally able to measure them using the Omni mic system, which told me the tweeter arrays were about 3dB too loud for the woofers, so I backed them down 3dB. Now they sound the way I expected them to sound - very dynamic, almost limitless power handling capacity, and they sound the same whether you're sitting or standing. Very happy with them.

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied
    What do they sound like?

Leave a comment:

• FredT
    started a topic Towers of Awesomeness Finally Completed

Towers of Awesomeness Finally Completed

The Towers of Awesomeness are finally up and playing. Each 7' 11" dipole array incorporated twelve 7" Dayton Esoteric midwoofers and nine BG Neo8 PDR tweeters. The subwoofer is a 12" Dayton Ultimax with the Dayton 500W plate amp. They are controlled by a DEQX digital equalizer and crossover. The crossover is a 48dB/octave at 1,200 hz. For perspective, the ceiling of the alcove behind them is 8'.
Working...
X