reattach surround

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reattach surround

I have a paper coned driver (altec) with an accordion style surround. The accordion surround is covered with this sticky black stuff. I laid it face down on a towel and the black stuff stuck in a few spots - doh. In one area the cone pull loose from the surround, approximately 3 inches. Any ideas how to reattach? I thought of a thin coat of rubber cement on the back side. Thanks

Aileen's Tacky Glue.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Aileen's Tacky Glue.
      Wolf
      Good idea, and I actually have some but it's probably 10 years old. Michaels had a sale and sold it for $.25/bottle. I bought 20. I mixed it with sand and coated the inside of an enclosure with a half inch layer. Worked well but was really a mess. thanks

Comment

I don’t think Tacky glue wound work as well as E6000. The E6000 has solvents that might work better on the coated surround. I have used it on several coated cloth surrounds and it works great. Foam surrounds are the only surrounds I use tacky glue. Try to scrape off the old glue before applying the E6000 to both the surround back and speaker basket.

Comment

No love for Mod Podge?

Comment

The reason I said Aileen's is the E6000 is not for foams, and when under force will still let go of what is bonded. I use it for xovers for this reason. If I want to remove the parts, I can with E6000.
            Joel (of the Grand Rapids retailer) recommends Aileen's for driver part gluing or fixing, and they do a lot of that up there. I used it to fix the triple-joint in a pair of RS125-4 that separated at the former/spider connection, and they have held up.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              The reason I said Aileen's is the E6000 is not for foams, and when under force will still let go of what is bonded. I use it for xovers for this reason. If I want to remove the parts, I can with E6000.
              Joel (of the Grand Rapids retailer) recommends Aileen's for driver part gluing or fixing, and they do a lot of that up there. I used it to fix the triple-joint in a pair of RS125-4 that separated at the former/spider connection, and they have held up.

Later,
              Wolf
              I have used it and like it on foam surrounds. It being tacky makes it easy for novices to use since you don’t have to clamp the surround to the cone or basket. I really think the E6000 bonds to smooth metal surface as well as rubber surrounds. It has good damping and is great for DIY slit cones to fill in the slits that I make with rotary saw attachment and a Dremel Tool. Use whatever is easiest and in your comfort zone. I have modded and repaired dozens of drivers. I like to use two parts epoxy with very 1/4 inch pieces of carbon fiber tow mixed in to attach voice coils to cones.I am playing with fiberglass micro balloons mixed in with MODPODGE for cone treatment.

Comment

Working...
              X