X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanP
    started a topic DIY Speaker Event in Grand Rapids, MI - Sept. 2019

DIY Speaker Event in Grand Rapids, MI - Sept. 2019

Come one, come all to a casual, show-n-tell style DIY speaker event hosted by Meniscus Audio and CSS. This is a dual location event taking place Friday September 20th and Saturday September 21st per the details below:

Day One - Friday September 20, 2019 @ 5:00 pm – 11:45 pm

Meniscus Audio
    1642 Broadway Ave NW
    Grand Rapids
    MI 49504

This portion of the event will be held onsite at Meniscus Audio. Bring your latest creation and take it for a spin in the Meniscus listening room or just bring your curiosity and chat in the back with some of the hobby's best designers and newbies alike. Kerry and I will bring a remote controlled demo switcher, built by kenrhodes to finally put to bed the question "do high performance crossover components make an audible difference?" Pizza will be provided and adult beverages may be consumed responsibly. The traditional junk speaker roof toss will occur just before dusk - make sure to get here in time to find cover.

Day Two - September 21, 2019 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Grand River Hotel - Pier 3 Room
    270 Ann St NW
    Grand Rapids
    MI 49504

This portion of the event will be held in the hotel conference room - a larger venue than years past to accommodate increasing attendance. A slightly more formal version of Friday night's activities, each speaker will be subjected to the 5 minute house demo for comparison and then given 5 minutes to play music of the designer's choosing. All levels of entry are encouraged. We will repeat the upgraded crossover test for those who couldn't make it Friday evening. No food or beverages in the conference room, but the hotel has a restaurant/bar on site for easy lunch/dinner options.

For those here who have never been to an event like this, it is a great way to get in touch with other designers, hear drivers you've never heard, get ideas for future builds, or get good direction if you're just starting out. Don't think you're not advanced enough to attend - just save the dates and show up. Hope to see you all there!

Dan

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by mcargill View Post
    I'd like to do some calculations of the room modes in the rooms we will be using. I think I remember seeing the dimensions of the room in the hotel on Saturday in the event description on the Meniscus website, but my browser is now not letting me access the page where it is most likely to be. Could someone post here the room dimensions? Even approximately, if you have been to this event before.
    This is the first time it's been held in the venue it will be held in on Saturday, so it is new to all of us.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied
    Originally posted by charlielaub View Post

This type of system is called a "nude" open baffle. There is no spoon - there is no baffle. It's nude, meaning the drivers are not mounted to anything. Where you are expecting plexiglass there is only air. I have suspended the drivers - the woofer via nylon wires and the tweeters at the end of a strip of plastic mesh. The nude open baffle has some real advantages but presents some crossover design challenges.

This system has been conceived to have identical forward and rearward radiation, and uses a dipole tweeter arrangement composed of two back-to-back Dayton ND25FW-4. It's a "20-20k dipole" based on some of the principles I have espoused in the attached pdf article.

One very interesting thing about this kind of speaker is that you can walk around the speakers, to the side, in back of them, etc. and the tonal balance stays exactly the same. You can also listen in the "null" spot between speakers, where the "room sound" consisting primarily of reflections dominates, especially in more live and reflective listening spaces. It's very different from other kinds of speakers.
    Charlie, very interesting design and write-up. Just out of curiosity could you share the other drivers you chose.

Leave a comment:

• mcargill
    replied
    I'd like to do some calculations of the room modes in the rooms we will be using. I think I remember seeing the dimensions of the room in the hotel on Saturday in the event description on the Meniscus website, but my browser is now not letting me access the page where it is most likely to be. Could someone post here the room dimensions? Even approximately, if you have been to this event before.

Leave a comment:

• mcargill
    replied
    Yes, Charlie, your approach to a no-baffle design is quite different from mine. For one thing, I include a little multi-sensory aesthetic in my design.

Ken, I have a pair of those TangBand woofers you are looking for, and am willing to let go of them. I presume you are asking in this thread because you will be in Grand Rapids this weekend, so I plan to bring them with me. I have two pairs, do you want all four?

Leave a comment:

• charlielaub
    replied
    Originally posted by 4thtry View Post

Cool. Look forward to hearing these. Did you use flash to take this picture? I am not seeing a flash reflection in the Plexiglas.
    This type of system is called a "nude" open baffle. There is no spoon - there is no baffle. It's nude, meaning the drivers are not mounted to anything. Where you are expecting plexiglass there is only air. I have suspended the drivers - the woofer via nylon wires and the tweeters at the end of a strip of plastic mesh. The nude open baffle has some real advantages but presents some crossover design challenges.

This system has been conceived to have identical forward and rearward radiation, and uses a dipole tweeter arrangement composed of two back-to-back Dayton ND25FW-4. It's a "20-20k dipole" based on some of the principles I have espoused in the attached pdf article.

One very interesting thing about this kind of speaker is that you can walk around the speakers, to the side, in back of them, etc. and the tonal balance stays exactly the same. You can also listen in the "null" spot between speakers, where the "room sound" consisting primarily of reflections dominates, especially in more live and reflective listening spaces. It's very different from other kinds of speakers.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
    The attached pic is a preview of what I will be bringing (the two tall things in the foreground).. I have only assembled one speaker so far, and have been doing the crossover development in mono. To give you a sense of scale, the towers are each 5 feet tall and almost 3 feet wide. This is a test platform for a couple of different nude open baffle systems that I want to try out over the winter.

Source will be a Linux laptop with CD drive. If I can get on WiFi I can stream from the web. I will be using a USB audio interface that has analog and SPDIF inputs. Of course there will be a couple of amps as well and I could use some help during unloading and set up. I may demo these at Meniscus on Friday evening as well.

Click image for larger version Name:	CharlieLaub_nude_OB_system.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	1421209
    Cool. Look forward to hearing these. Did you use flash to take this picture? I am not seeing a flash reflection in the Plexiglas.

Leave a comment:

• charlielaub
    replied
    The attached pic is a preview of what I will be bringing (the two tall things in the foreground).. I have only assembled one speaker so far, and have been doing the crossover development in mono. To give you a sense of scale, the towers are each 5 feet tall and almost 3 feet wide. This is a test platform for a couple of different nude open baffle systems that I want to try out over the winter.

Source will be a Linux laptop with CD drive. If I can get on WiFi I can stream from the web. I will be using a USB audio interface that has analog and SPDIF inputs. Of course there will be a couple of amps as well and I could use some help during unloading and set up. I may demo these at Meniscus on Friday evening as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CharlieLaub_nude_OB_system.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	1421209

Leave a comment:

• otto802
    replied
    The Von-Ottos are looking Von-Awesome! I wish they weren't too big for my space! Looking forward to seeing and hearing them again!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Ed never ceases to blow me away.
    Ed’s latest cabs. Just wow.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    I'm excited to see what everyone brings and to spend some time with friends.

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Room booked and signed up. The site was a little odd, the top event didn't go anywhere but the second one leads to a Google form registration page.

https://meniscusaudio.com/event/meniscus-audio-css-diy/

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Looking for a pair of buyout tang band woofers. If any one has any that they are willing to part with let me know.
    https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...-ohms--299-135

Leave a comment:

• charlielaub
    replied
    Originally posted by mcargill View Post
    I plan to attend. Am I correct that no formal registration is required? Meniscus doesn't want any head count in advance?

I am working on a minimalist no-baffle three-way. Still not conventional, but a serious machine for listening, unlike some of my recent productions.

-Meredith
    Meniscus just sent out a quick sign-up confirmation for the event. You might get it soon, or check their event page here:
    https://meniscusaudio.com/event/

Wow, what a coincidence. I am also bringing a nude (no baffle) dipole loudspeaker test project. Cool. Looking forward to comparing notes.

Leave a comment:

• mcargill
    replied
    I plan to attend. Am I correct that no formal registration is required? Meniscus doesn't want any head count in advance?

I am working on a minimalist no-baffle three-way. Still not conventional, but a serious machine for listening, unlike some of my recent productions.

-Meredith

Leave a comment:

Working...
X