Suggestions for Desktop DAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Desktop DAC

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on the forum. Still check in every once, but not as often as I should, sorry bout that. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on a small desktop DAC. Fairly certain the DAC chip built into my workplace's computer is crap and I would like to upgrade if it's not going to cost an arm and a leg. Haven't done a lot of searching but stumbled across this one from SMSL, was wondering if anyone else has it or has heard good or bad about it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLRDVGX...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Another option that seems to get good reviews is the Dragonfly Red. But, it's twice the price of the SMSL unit, is it worth it?

To clarify, any suggestions would need to be a DAC only, the amplifiers will already be built into my speakers. Will share those here at a later date. Thanks for you input.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

That looks great, for the money. The size is perfect for the desk.

I have one from PE, and they do have: https://www.parts-express.com/smsl-x...pport--230-236

It is nice having the small size of the M100!

Comment

For my killer desktop DAC, I use a Resonessence Concero HD and I think it sounds good.

I scored mine for around $400, and you can find them for around that price. There's one on Canuck Audiomart for $450. I recommend it.

Comment

PE ha several really cheap USB DACs.And some more expensive ones. I use a cheap one. It sounds fine to me. I always look at PE first for my audio needs, if they sell it, that's what I link in the forum. All I needed was L/R phono plugs out to my 2.1 PC sound. What features do you need?

dac - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          PE ha several really cheap USB DACs.And some more expensive ones. I use a cheap one. It sounds fine to me. I always look at PE first for my audio needs, if they sell it, that's what I link in the forum. All I needed was L/R phono plugs out to my 2.1 PC sound. What features do you need?

dac - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.
          Any size USB input, output can be worked around with adapters, but RCA would be preference. Won't need a volume control or built in headphone amplifier. I didn't realize PE carried as many as they do, thanks for the link. I'll check their stuff out in more detail later today.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          The Archers
          The Gandalf's

Comment

I use a Dragonfly Red and like it very much! It also works with this iPad and a pair of headphones when I travel.

Audioquest just came out with a new version called Cobalt. It’s a c-note more and getting very good reviews.

I think they are worth the money. You have to decide for yourself.

Have Fun! Mark

Comment

I use the FX-Audio DAC-X6. Costs about $55 here and there.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Khadas Tone Board. Also, look at DAC reviews on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...x.php?reviews/. lots of good inexpensive DACs reviewed, and also some stinkers. Topping has some good cheap ones. Also, for good deals look at drop.com (used to be Mass Drop). They always have DACs for sale.

Comment

The SMSL unit cited above is not a DAC but a converts USB to SPDIF.

Comment

I have a SMSL i like but I also use a Beringer umc22. What I like about the UMC22 is all the other options not normally found on a DAC.

Comment

I was recently looking for a DAC to use with the TPA3255 amp I had just assembled which doesn't have a volume control. I had a couple of requirements:
                      The DAC needed a remote to adjust the volume and it needed USB input so it could connect to a raspberry pi based audio player.
                      The SMSL Sanskrit 10th was one of very few DACs that has a remote, is fairly inexpensive, and has good reviews (once powered by a 5V micro-USB charger...not included, but I have so many....)
                      Good luck in your search!
                      My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys. Turns out Tom had an extra one sitting around in his closet not being used. He's offered it to let me have it if I can make use of it, I emailed him a shipping label. I'll try to report back on how it performs compared to the built in DAC on my office computer. Thanks again all.
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
                        X