Open Baffle Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regore View Post
    I did NOT buy these speakers. To repeat myself for the third time now. This is an open baffle design that reproduces low bass ! Not only are you people argumentative but your reading skills leave a lot to be desired.
    This is not technically a DIY forum, however the majority of posts are of a DIY nature. There are plenty of posts with technical questions and suggestions on commercial speakers.

However, the forum does have problems with spammers which usually involve someone registering and posting their first post promoting something or other (much like your post).

And, while many people are in fact argumentative and lacking in reading skills, there is a lot to be gained from the forum if you are interested.

So welcome to the forum and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

This is not technically a DIY forum, however the majority of posts are of a DIY nature. There are plenty of posts with technical questions and suggestions on commercial speakers.

However, the forum does have problems with spammers which usually involve someone registering and posting their first post promoting something or other (much like your post).

And, while many people are in fact argumentative and lacking in reading skills, there is a lot to be gained from the forum if you are interested.

So welcome to the forum and good luck!
      Technically this is a DIY forum and more specifically a (cant post competitor products) P.E. DIY forum, which is why majority of posts are of a DIY nature. SMDH

Regore was not promoting anything in his first post, he was giving a example of a O.B. speaker design because the original poster was asking about it, talk about one being argumentative and lacking in reading skills. LMAOROTF

Luck has nothing to do with one being on this forum one just needs thick skin.

Comment

Respectfully, your original post reads like an endorsement. BTW, -10dB at 22Hz is nothing to get excited about, especially when there are four fifteen inch woofers and a $15k price tag. As for Stereophile reviews, John Atkinson et al never reviewed a speaker that they didn't like, so long as there are advertising dollars to be had. They've been irrelevant for over 20 years.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Welcome to the forum Regore !

Don't let a little friendly arguing dissuade you. The general spirit here is getting bang for your buck, anywhere from a couple hundred dollars like myself up to a couple thousand for higher end drivers, so posting OEM speakers in the tens of thousands is always likely to get some attention which usually turns into some sort of flame war. Don't take it personally, I find them entertaining sometimes.

Also to add to the Parts Express competition thing.... we can talk all we want about competitor's products. To respect our hosts, just don't post direct links to purchase from elsewhere.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

As long as measured data is available, I enjoy seeing what high end manufacturers are up to. Often they're not real impressive, but sometimes they are. As for price, I know that real companies have employees and overhead, and they have done all the design and construction of the speaker, so the cost doesn't bother me. Still, I'd rather build my own
            Francis

Comment

Way to welcome the new guy! Legacy does some pretty good stuff in their designs, which generally sound quite good.

Comment

Regore =wogg;n1418123]Welcome to the forum Regore !

Don't let a little friendly arguing dissuade you. The general spirit here is getting bang for your buck, anywhere from a couple hundred dollars like myself up to a couple thousand for higher end drivers, so posting OEM speakers in the tens of thousands is always likely to get some attention which usually turns into some sort of flame war. Don't take it personally, I find them entertaining sometimes.

Also to add to the Parts Express competition thing.... we can talk all we want about competitor's products. To respect our hosts, just don't post direct links to purchase from elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

@ Regore, I second wogg in saying welcome to the forum! I find that most forum posts on the internet are subject to interpretation, and thus aren't worth ever being upset over. Hope you'll stick around and enjoy the conversation. I'm also looking into open baffle bass because of the InDIYana speaker design competition that will take place in April 2020. The theme is dipole/omnidirectional designs this year (because hindsight is 2020). Maybe as we get closer to the event we'll have even more open baffle stuff to discuss!
                Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Regore, don't take it personally. It's not about you.

Comment

wrt to the original post. I understand "hi-fi" setting as a small room, or, typical home audio. In small rooms, bass (<250Hz) frequencies are physically large so the interactions between the low frequency waves and the small room cause standing waves. So you could have two guys listening to open baffle bass in the same room and one guy might love it while the other guy hates it because they're standing in different locations.

Personally, if I wanted to have open baffle bass I'd use only one speaker and I'd place it in the near field of my listening position so I didn't get stuck in a bad room mode. And, you would play it at lower volume in that case which would be helpful.

https://www.jdbsound.com/art/frequen...art%202013.pdf

Comment

Here's JBL's wavelength chart so you can see the physical length of bass frequencies.

https://www.jdbsound.com/art/frequen...art%202013.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by bradley.s View Post
                        So you could have two guys listening to open baffle bass in the same room and one guy might love it while the other guy hates it because they're standing in different locations.

Personally, if I wanted to have open baffle bass I'd use only one speaker and I'd place it in the near field of my listening position so I didn't get stuck in a bad room mode. And, you would play it at lower volume in that case which would be helpful.
                        So, you seem to be implying that open baffle is more sensitive to room modes. The opposite is true, there's less overall energy to excite the modes and the rearwave reflections tend to smooth out room performance somewhat relative to monopoles.

The much, much bigger issue in dipole bass is displacement, baffle size, and power. Smaller baffles perform better but need more power, displacement, and EQ, much moreso than the more efficient monopole systems. It's not uncommon to use 2-4 15"s per channel in a serious dipole setup (or just look at how Magnepan scales their systems) because of all the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post

So, you seem to be implying that open baffle is more sensitive to room modes. The opposite is true, there's less overall energy to excite the modes and the rearwave reflections tend to smooth out room performance somewhat relative to monopoles.

No. open baffle woofers, depending on position, may excite fewer room modes. Is that good or bad? The result is they are more sensitive to listening position ( and speaker placement) because it is very easy to move on or off a position of modal reinforcement or cancelation.
                          John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

I can see how someone might read my statement and come to your conclusion. So I'll add, you could have two guys listening to bass enclosures in the same room and one guy might love it while the other guy hates it because they're standing in different locations.

Less energy means lower volume, which is why I'd place one open baffle in the near field. As an alternative, one could place a single bass enclosure in the near field.

I don't know why anyone would specifically want dipole bass in a small room. You have long wavelengths that wrap around the enclosure anyway; 250Hz is a 4.5 foot wavelength. Also, why would you want 2-4 15"s per channel? You can't hear low bass in stereo and you'd make it impossible to control the low frequency small room modes. You wind up introducing problems rather than solving them.

I don't know why Magnepan does what they do. If I'm not mistaken, they use large panels for physically short high frequencies and delicate lightweight panels to generate bass. They seem like the worst of all worlds. You get beaming with high frequencies and weak bass. Plus, the large ones are ginormous.

Comment

Originally posted by bradley.s View Post
                              you could have two guys listening to bass enclosures in the same room and one guy might love it while the other guy hates it because they're standing in different locations.
                              That applies to all low frequency speakers, not just OB.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Plus the type of direct servo (Rythmik?) amps used by GR Research can enhance control over the driver for better quality bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X