Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradley.s
    replied
    Regore, don't take it personally. It's not about you.

Leave a comment:

• KEtheredge87
    replied
    Regore =wogg;n1418123]Welcome to the forum Regore !

Don't let a little friendly arguing dissuade you. The general spirit here is getting bang for your buck, anywhere from a couple hundred dollars like myself up to a couple thousand for higher end drivers, so posting OEM speakers in the tens of thousands is always likely to get some attention which usually turns into some sort of flame war. Don't take it personally, I find them entertaining sometimes.

Also to add to the Parts Express competition thing.... we can talk all we want about competitor's products. To respect our hosts, just don't post direct links to purchase from elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

@ Regore, I second wogg in saying welcome to the forum! I find that most forum posts on the internet are subject to interpretation, and thus aren't worth ever being upset over. Hope you'll stick around and enjoy the conversation. I'm also looking into open baffle bass because of the InDIYana speaker design competition that will take place in April 2020. The theme is dipole/omnidirectional designs this year (because hindsight is 2020). Maybe as we get closer to the event we'll have even more open baffle stuff to discuss!

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied
    Way to welcome the new guy! Legacy does some pretty good stuff in their designs, which generally sound quite good.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    As long as measured data is available, I enjoy seeing what high end manufacturers are up to. Often they're not real impressive, but sometimes they are. As for price, I know that real companies have employees and overhead, and they have done all the design and construction of the speaker, so the cost doesn't bother me. Still, I'd rather build my own

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Welcome to the forum Regore !

Don't let a little friendly arguing dissuade you. The general spirit here is getting bang for your buck, anywhere from a couple hundred dollars like myself up to a couple thousand for higher end drivers, so posting OEM speakers in the tens of thousands is always likely to get some attention which usually turns into some sort of flame war. Don't take it personally, I find them entertaining sometimes.

Also to add to the Parts Express competition thing.... we can talk all we want about competitor's products. To respect our hosts, just don't post direct links to purchase from elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Respectfully, your original post reads like an endorsement. BTW, -10dB at 22Hz is nothing to get excited about, especially when there are four fifteen inch woofers and a $15k price tag. As for Stereophile reviews, John Atkinson et al never reviewed a speaker that they didn't like, so long as there are advertising dollars to be had. They've been irrelevant for over 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

This is not technically a DIY forum, however the majority of posts are of a DIY nature. There are plenty of posts with technical questions and suggestions on commercial speakers.

However, the forum does have problems with spammers which usually involve someone registering and posting their first post promoting something or other (much like your post).

And, while many people are in fact argumentative and lacking in reading skills, there is a lot to be gained from the forum if you are interested.

So welcome to the forum and good luck!
    Technically this is a DIY forum and more specifically a (cant post competitor products) P.E. DIY forum, which is why majority of posts are of a DIY nature. SMDH

Regore was not promoting anything in his first post, he was giving a example of a O.B. speaker design because the original poster was asking about it, talk about one being argumentative and lacking in reading skills. LMAOROTF

Luck has nothing to do with one being on this forum one just needs thick skin.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Regore View Post
    I did NOT buy these speakers. To repeat myself for the third time now. This is an open baffle design that reproduces low bass ! Not only are you people argumentative but your reading skills leave a lot to be desired.
    This is not technically a DIY forum, however the majority of posts are of a DIY nature. There are plenty of posts with technical questions and suggestions on commercial speakers.

However, the forum does have problems with spammers which usually involve someone registering and posting their first post promoting something or other (much like your post).

And, while many people are in fact argumentative and lacking in reading skills, there is a lot to be gained from the forum if you are interested.

So welcome to the forum and good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Regore
    replied
    I did NOT buy these speakers. To repeat myself for the third time now. This is an open baffle design that reproduces low bass ! Not only are you people argumentative but your reading skills leave a lot to be desired.

Leave a comment:

• bradley.s
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    This is a DIY forum, where members might be comfortable spending $1500 on the components to build their own speakers that work as well as, if not better than, commercial speakers that cost ten times as much. As for the specs on the Legacy Whisper, I can't find any on their site.
    $15K and they don't show measurement details? I smell a rat. Also, after what I've learned there's no reason to spend $15K on a speaker *unless* it comes with a guy who comes to your house and sets them up using measurements, then prints out those measurements so you can post them on Instagram to explain why you spent $15K on speakers.

Leave a comment:

• Regore
    replied
    This is a DIY forum, where members might be comfortable spending $1500 on the components to build their own speakers that work as well as, if not better than, commercial speakers that cost ten times as much. As for the specs on the Legacy Whisper, I can't find any on their site.
    I didn't know this was a DYI forum. I thought it was a technical forum. Wavefunction stated he never heard bass in a open baffle design in a hi fi setting. I merely provided an example of a OB design that has bass down to 22hz. All I had to do was Google Legacy Whisper specs and the Stereophile review popped right up. Sorry for posting on the wrong forum.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Originally posted by Harvylogan View Post
    There is no mystery to open baffle bass. It takes lots of cone area and lots of power. I have been listening to it for years, as well as closed box and bass reflex. It is just about setting up the system and getting what sounds good to you.
    Depends what you mean by lots of power. As compared to small sealed alignment, not much power is needed to drive a woofer to Xmax at low frequencies on open baffle.

Separate from that. A sealed alignment rolls off 2nd order at low frequencies, -12_dB/octave with decreasing frequency. For flat response that corresponds to an inverse square relationship between excursion and frequency, 100x the excursion at 1/10 frequency. A dipole rolls off 3rd order at low frequency, -18_dB/octave with decreasing frequency. For flat response that corresponds to an inverse cube relationship between excursion and frequency, 1000x the excursion at 1/10 frequency.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    I agree Bill, although I like to keep up on what state of the art speakers are doing. Stereophile measured the Whispers, BTW:
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Looks listenable, if laid back. Sort of like some headphone curves (Sennheiser?)

The article sort of alludes to it, but I bet the setup and the room really matter to get them sounding right.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Regore
    replied
    Check out the specs. on Legacy Whisper speaker. These are a steal at about $15,000 compared to the competition at $60,000. A very successful open baffle design.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X