Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fdieck
    replied
    It’s not you. My wife laughs seeming at random at stuff I said a couple of days ago.

Background music for you next project:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPESpC9sR5M

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by fdieck View Post

He’s on a roll now....
    Holy Cow... I'm denser than a piece of maple hardwood.... Believe it or not, I didn't get your joke until just now. Funny!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. ):
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Next up, putting the band saw on wheels, and figuring out a clamp rack to bolt to the wall.
    Maybe even mobilize the drill press if I have any more casters floating around.
    TomZ
    He’s on a roll now....

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Next up, putting the band saw on wheels, and figuring out a clamp rack to bolt to the wall.
    Maybe even mobilize the drill press if I have any more casters floating around.
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Here she is loaded up... Probably 450 pounds or so. Loading one side only doesn't make it feel tippy, wondered if it would or not. Takes a little force to get it moving. HFT casters rated at 350 lbs each, so hopefully I'm okay with those.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_070540.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	1418377

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Somehow I inserted two of the same pic up there. If I try to change it, it might not let me post it so...

Name:	Base With 7 Degree Angles.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1418340
    Just a close-er up of the base. If I were really thinking, I probably could have eliminated the top 2x6 and 2x4 and just used the lower upside down "T" setup if I used a 2x6 for the vertical piece. This will be stronger though, and place the boards higher for easier lifting. A happy mis-calculation I suppose.
    Of course... Version 2.0 is always better than Version 1.0... but you can't have Version 2.0 without first having Version 1.0... Todays redundant statement for today... from the department of redundancy department.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by craigk View Post
    How disappointing, I thought it was a swing for the bedroom.
    Craig, I'm surprised at that comment...

...If that were the case... it would need locking casters for sure!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied
    How disappointing, I thought it was a swing for the bedroom.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    You guys are funny! Chris, I love that joke, I laughed a few different times reading it.

Here is the finished product...
    ...Yes... Maybe we'll put a happy little piece of 2x4 here, and a few pieces of 2x6's there.....

... And maybe in our world we want a little scrap of plywood on the bottom holding up the MDF....

Name:	Finished Lumber Caddy.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1418332

Here are a few in-process pics... pretty self-explanatory. I used mostly gorilla glue and drywall screws for assembly. The A-Frame part is all glued together and very sturdy, but it unbolts with 4 bolts to remove from the base so I can get it out of the basement someday, and to make it lighter.

Name:	Base With 7 Degree Angles.jpg
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1418331Click image for larger version

Name:	Base Angles 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1418329Click image for larger version

Name:	Base Angles With Retainers.jpg
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	1418330

Since I moved into this house 6-7 years ago I've just stacked up my sheet goods against the wall on a few pieces of 2x4's. Last year we had a flood on Valentine's Day and it messed up the bottom of lots of sheets of MDF and PB and some plywood. This rack will prevent any basement water from getting to my lumber, as well as -- and more importantly -- get my 4x4 sheets of lumber right next to the table saw so I can just lift and cut.

I was originally going to make the inside a bit larger, so the tops of the sheets would be farther apart. I was thinking I might use the extra space between the sheets to make shelves and use those to store my collection of clamps. But after sketching several ideas up, I decided that it would just make the thing too large. As it is, the wheels are 36" and 34" apart. This was constructed with 4x4 sheets in mind, but no reason it wouldn't hold 4x8 sheets as well... I just can't really manage that size at this point in my back's life.

I plan to make a rack bolted to the wall to hold my clamps in the future. I mostly have the Harbor Freight Tools metal type, so a simple 2x4 with an appropriately sized slot will suffice for this. I mostly do my clamping at the one table, so I don't need those to be mobile.

I hope you guys liked the teaser pics a little, and thanks for the guesses... and especially the Bob Ross sideshow. He really does have some staying power. I read he was a real perfectionist... painting several versions of each picture to get it down 'just right.' Guys that can do that are just amazing. Like Bill Alexander... that guy would just load up that angled putty knife thingy with different colors and scrape it on the canvas and BOOM! There's a mountain -- complete with a snowy peak! Just amazing.

Anyway...

Looks like Chris, John, and especially Eric for the win... Thanks for playing, but sorry, no prize for guessing correctly. ;)

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Bob Ross was a William Alexander rip off! "Happy little trees"...

Leave a comment:

• ericanderson
    replied
    It's a rolling rack to haul 4 x 8 sheets of MDF to the table saw.
    What do I win?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• davidB
    replied
    Obviously a rolling sawhorse.

Bob Ross is again haunting the public airwaves.............

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Why is Bob Ross so hot now? I grew up watching him on PBS, now he's in all my suggested content...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X