wall powered amp for Tang Band 1139SIF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall powered amp for Tang Band 1139SIF

Hi, I've ordered a Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker and plan to use it as a small ported sub to complement a two way Bluetooth project. Can anyone recommend a cheap plate or wall powered 220V amp that will drive it? I was looking at this one: But any other suggestions would be very welcome.
    My concern with this amp as well as some others that I looked at is that the crossover goes down to 40HZ but from what I can see it's possible to get 35Hz out of that driver.
    thanks in advance. rob
    Yung SD100-6 100W Class D Subwoofer Plate Amplifier Module with 6 dB at 45 Hz

The 40-200 Hz adjustable filter is the LOW pass filter. I think you're confusing it with a HIGH pass filter. I personally would pick the Yung SD100 version without the +6 dB boost, but that's up to you.
    "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

right right right. thanks, rookie mistake. I'd just changed to the no boost after reading up on it. thanks for the help

Comment

Those PE buyout amps are a good deal, but I usually recommend the PE amps because of the 5-year warranty. I wouldn't go lower than 100 watts on a plate amp
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Those Yung plate amps are pretty good, and very shallow depth-wise. The 100 watt no-boost should work well with that driver vented.
          PE has a 70 watt plate amp that would also work fine with that driver, I've paired those two before myself several times... but it gets kind of hot during steady/heavy use. The Yung run pretty cool and are only about $15 more... worth the money in my opinion for a bit more headroom and less BTU's heating the house in the summertime.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            Those Yung plate amps are pretty good, and very shallow depth-wise. The 100 watt no-boost should work well with that driver vented.
            PE has a 70 watt plate amp that would also work fine with that driver, I've paired those two before myself several times... but it gets kind of hot during steady/heavy use. The Yung run pretty cool and are only about $15 more... worth the money in my opinion for a bit more headroom and less BTU's heating the house in the summertime.

TomZ
            +1.

The Dayton is a Class A-B amp. The Yung is Class D. That's why the Yung remains cool while the Dayton gets hot. Class D operates @ ~90% efficiency. Class A-B amps have a theoretical efficiency of <65% (for sine waves), usually less than that especially when not at maximum volume (transistors are working harder). So a lot power is dissipated as heat. And over time, component value shift can alter the Class A-B DC bias.

On one project, I was concerned about a built-in amp's heat dissipation. So I placed the amp right behind the woofer port

Comment

Working...
            X