Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Advice...

Hey Guys,

I want to build some new mains for my living room and I was looking for some advice. I was considering the original Continuums as I already have a pair of RS28A-4 tweeters from my last build that I could recycle. I also see that the first Continuum is available as a kit with woofers only at another website. My only hesitation is that I would like to have the option to add a center channel in the future and I know that there is no specific matching center for these speakers.

For that reason I am also considering the Swope HT because it has a matching center.

The limiting factors are as follows: The speaker needs to be a bookshelf that performs well when placed near the wall due to space restrictions, there is built-in cabinetry near the front of the room so floor standers are out. My room is pretty big, about 25' x 30', and sometimes I like to play music loud. I have 2 subs placed at the front of the room so bass extension isn't a huge priority. I really just want a nice, wide and detailed soundstage that can play loud if needs be.

I also have a pair of Vifa NE180W-4 woofers from my last build. So if anyone knows of a build that incorporates the RS28A-4 and NE180W-4 and meets my above needs, let me know.

Thanks for any help.

My $0.02. The center channel speaker is specifically for dialog, so any competent speaker should do OK there. That's if by "matching center" you're not simply talking about cosmetics.
    Francis

Comment

Ya, I feel like I've heard it both ways. I tend to agree with you especially with my primative ears. I doubt I'd be able to hear differences in timbre or tone.

Comment

Originally posted by adam215 View Post
        Ya, I feel like I've heard it both ways. I tend to agree with you especially with my primative ears. I doubt I'd be able to hear differences in timbre or tone.
        If you are using good speakers that measure flat, differences in timbre or tone should be very minor.
        Francis

Comment

With near wall placement, I wouldn't expect great sound quality. Maybe good. Maybe....? With that said, why not try your hand at a design of your own? These 6.5" Peerless HDS woofers look like a steal, at this sale price. They would work well in a sealed box crossed to your subs at 80hz. A low x-over point might be needed, but might not if the slopes are steep. The rs28a tweeters should handle that easily.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1086

Comment

That is a great price for those.
            Francis

Comment

A dedicated center speaker (MTM or WTMW like the Swope) is not ideal sonically but is popular because aesthetically it looks good and is usually practical under a TV.

Nothing wrong with the Swopes, but if you did want the Continuums a possible solution would be a third Continuum as the center channel, but I assume you only have the pair of tweeters? You could post a want-to-buy (WTB) in the PE and diyaudio classifieds and see if anyone has one. I do know they have become pretty scarce.

Comment

With regard to designing something myself, I have been told to use established designs and leave the crossover design to the pros... I could give it a go. I guess it wouldn't cost me much.

Comment

Also, I had read that the Continuums were designed to perform well close to walls, boundries, etc...

Comment

With regard to designing something myself, I have been told to use established designs and leave the crossover design to the pros... I could give it a go. I guess it wouldn't cost me much.
                    I think this depends on your interest in DIY speakers as a hobby. If you just want to build speakers better than commercial speakers for less money, that you can customize, an established design makes sense. If you want to really get into this as a hobby, diving it might be the way to go. I accumulated the parts for several established designs but just finished my own first design based on encouragement from the DIY community and this forum in particular.

Also, I had read that the Continuums were designed to perform well close to walls, boundries, etc...
                    They were designed to reflect the design attributes of the BBC LS3/5A. However, because they are sealed they happen perform better close to walls than many of the DIY speakers that are ported.

Comment

They are probably a good option then. I'm a tweaker, and enjoy x-over work. The 6.5" HDS should be comparable to my 6.5" HDS speakers. ( Nomex, and poly cones ) I've felt that they had sufficient output, and bass, even without a sub in my smaller room. I've also built some speakers with 5.25" HDS drivers. I like the 6.5" better, but the 5.25" had some qualities missed by the larger 6.5". Currently, I'm playing with 10" 2-ways in 1 cu-ft boxes. I like the tens the most. I don't like the sound of speakers placed close to the wall. Not my designs, in my room anyway.

If you design your own, there's no telling how good, or bad they might sound, but x-overs are not permanent. Small changes can improve the sound. If you want it right the first time, then go for an existing design. X-over parts aren't cheap, so that's a factor too. I have lots of parts, but I'd cringe if I needed to buy a 2.5mH coil when I have a 2mH sitting in my parts box.

Comment

Out of curiousity, does anyone happen to have the FRD and ZMA files for the RS28A-04 and NE180W-04?

Comment

If you Google the rs28A the old PE page is still there and has a zip file with the frd and zma files. (It won't come up just searching the PE site since it's no longer available.). The spec sheet (PDF) is on the PE page for the NE180's, you need to get one of the graph tracing programs to convert it into frd and zma files.

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Dayton's F/Z data is included in the .zip files on the product page (look for RS28A-4, NOT -04).
                              Typically for a driver like NE180W-04 the mfr. spec sheet plots are traced w/something like "FPGraphTracer" (one of the best).

Comment

Working...
                              X