No announcement yet.

New Build Advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the Continuums can play loud? I'm not unreasonable but I like a reasonable amount of output.

Comment

Originally posted by adam215 View Post
      Does anyone know if the Continuums can play loud? I'm not unreasonable but I like a reasonable amount of output.
      Yesterday, I searched for posts on the design. Jeff seemed to think it had good SPL, and others had similar comments as I recall. Still, it's not a large driver. You could model the response and excursion with an 80hz x-over to a sub, and see how loud it plays without exceeding x-max. For my room, my 5,25" sealed Peerless speakers were loud enough when used with a 15" sub, but the blend to the sub was not as good as the 6.5" due to a higher f3. To me, bigger speakers sound better than smaller speakers when the volume gets turned up. Maybe if you get the subs dialed in just right, that's not the case. I only use my sub for movies.

A while back, my plan was to have two pairs of speakers. One smaller pair for audiophile type playback, and one larger pair for more spirited playback.

Comment

Hey Guys, I want to build some new mains for my living room and I was looking for some advice. I was considering the original Continuums as I already have a pair of RS28A-4 tweeters from my last build that I could recycle. I also see that the first Continuum is available as a kit with woofers only at another website. My only hesitation is that I would like to have the option to add a center channel in the future and I know that there is no specific matching center for these speakers. For that reason I am also considering the Swope HT because it has a matching center. The limiting factors are as follows: The speaker needs to be a bookshelf that performs well when placed near the wall due to space restrictions, there is built-in cabinetry near the front of the room so floor standers are out. My room is pretty big, about 25' x 30', and sometimes I like to play music loud. I have 2 subs placed at the front of the room so bass extension isn't a huge priority. I really just want a nice, wide and detailed soundstage that can play loud if needs be. I also have a pair of Vifa NE180W-4 woofers from my last build. So if anyone knows of a build that incorporates the RS28A-4 and NE180W-4 and meets my above needs, let me know. Thanks for any help.
        This design I did used the NE180w-08 and RS28a but you could half the inductor and double the capacitor in the woofer section and you should come close. You’ll have to adjust tweeter padding to make up for the change in sensitivity a little as well.
        -Kerry

Comment

Sorry, forgot the link: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...clusive-830883
          -Kerry

Comment

Continuums cannot play very loud if there is a lot of low frequency content. I love my pair but they have their limitations, but if you’ve got subs and highpass for the Continuums shouldn’t be a problem. I would encourage you to go with the Continuums and use a third one for the center channel. They have a really mellow sound and are ok to use closer to room boundaries than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
              At the risk of sounding like a fool... aren't those different woofers?

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
                Continuums cannot play very loud if there is a lot of low frequency content. I love my pair but they have their limitations, but if you’ve got subs and highpass for the Continuums shouldn’t be a problem. I would encourage you to go with the Continuums and use a third one for the center channel. They have a really mellow sound and are ok to use closer to room boundaries than most.
                Thanks for you take on this

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a fool... aren't those different woofers?
                  Yes, like I said, you’d have to adjust the crossover values on the woofer. Half the inductor and double the capacitor. You might have to play around with the resistor on the tweeter.
                  -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                    Yes, like I said, you’d have to adjust the crossover values on the woofer. Half the inductor and double the capacitor. You might have to play around with the resistor on the tweeter.
                    ok thx

Comment

How does this look for a rough stab at it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	xover.png
Views:	3
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	1418392Click image for larger version

Name:	fr.png
Views:	3
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1418393

Comment

I know that this is just modeled and that measured could be totally different... How do I account for phase?

Comment

You don't want the "sum" to be LESS than an individual driver (like what you've got from 2k to 10kHz). That means they're OOP (fighting each other).
                          This might still all work out if/when you get the phase accounted for ! ?

Comment

How does this look for a rough stab at it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	xover.png Views:	1 Size:	6.3 KB ID:	1418392Click image for larger version  Name:	fr.png Views:	1 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	1418393
                            Don't add a resistor in series with the woofer. It's normal to show about .3 ohms for the coil dcr though. Might want to notch that spike at 5k using a capacitor to bypass the 1.23 mH coil shown.

Comment

Can you measure?

Comment

I know that this is just modeled and that measured could be totally different... How do I account for phase?
                                If you get the woofer, and tweeter to follow a 4th order target, the phase will probably be close enough to be in the ballpark. Sometimes it can get tricky, but that's part of what makes it interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X