Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam215 View Post
    OK this is my most recent attempt...

How do I smooth out the spike at around 1200 hz?
    OK... this is going to sound crazy. My pc is not available for me to check this idea, but try this.

1mH coil bypassed with a 1uf cap.(approx) This is to deal with the spike at 5k.

Then add a notch for 1200 hz..... try 3mH, 20uf, and 6 ohms. (In series with each other, and placed across the woofer terminals.) I'm guessing at values. Change the 20uf up or down to center the notch on the peak at 1.2k. If it's hard to see where the notch is, reduce 6 ohms to about 3 ohms. With the 3 mH coil, the notch should be pretty narrow. Possibly too narrow. If so, change 3 mH to 2mH, and readjust the cap.

Comment

When the 1.2k notch is set, adjust the resistor value until the peak is blended in like you want. Don't be concerned with the tweeter yet. Get the woofer roll-off smooth, and down 6dB at about 2k.

If you would, post the woofer raw response, and filtered response together. Turn off phase, etc., just look at the response.

Comment

Doing my best but this is getting a little confusing... Here are the requested charts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Woofer xo schema.png
Views:	0
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1418584Click image for larger version

Name:	woofer raw.png
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1418585Click image for larger version

Name:	Woofer xo.png
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1418583
        Attached Files

Comment

And here is the current Summed response

Name:	summed 1.png
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1418587

Comment

Do I need to worry about the big hump at 10K?

Comment

Will xsim let you see something like this? Black is the raw response. Red is the filtered response. It's not important to show it this way, but I like seeing where peaks and dips originate. It also lets you see how much baffle step compensation is used.

Comment

Do I need to worry about the big hump at 10K?
                Yes. Try my tweeter filter from post #31. The response should be smooth at 10k, like this.

Comment

Your baffle will alter the response. A woofer with a very smooth response will measure something like this. The rise in output starts around 300hz, and peaks around 1k. So, the notch you make for the 1.2k peak will also need to address part of this baffle effect. (Not all, since you plan to use them near wall.)

These are two different 6.5" Peerless woofers. The peaks and dips above 3k are due to the drivers. The rise between 350hz, and 1.2k are due to the baffle. For my speakers, I would filter the response flat along the 30dB line, and then roll it off at 2k or so. For you situation, I'd probably pull 1k down to about 27dB, and then roll it off.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                    Your baffle will alter the response. A woofer with a very smooth response will measure something like this. The rise in output starts around 300hz, and peaks around 1k. So, the notch you make for the 1.2k peak will also need to address part of this baffle effect. (Not all, since you plan to use them near wall.)

These are two different 6.5" Peerless woofers. The peaks and dips above 3k are due to the drivers. The rise between 350hz, and 1.2k are due to the baffle. For my speakers, I would filter the response flat along the 30dB line, and then roll it off at 2k or so. For you situation, I'd probably pull 1k down to about 27dB, and then roll it off.

You kind of lost me... I'm using VituixCAD and I'm pretty new to it. I'm not really sure at what point I include the cabinet dimensions in the modeling. "For you situation, I'd probably pull 1k down to about 27dB, and then roll it off" I have no idea how to do this

Comment

Name:	New_speaker_SPL.png
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1418624

Does this look close enough for me to attem,pt to build it?

Comment

Name:	New_speaker_XO-schema.png
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1418626

Comment

I'm short on time at the moment, but I think you could drop the notch on the tweeter. The notch on the woofer probably would work better, or at least cost less with a much smaller coil. I'll try to get my pc up, and run a sim for you. On your part values, just round the off to stock values.

Does your software show filter transfer functions?

Comment

No hurry, the notch on the tweeter was for the hump at 10k. I could drop it but the hump comes back.

Name:	Filter.png
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1418681
                            Is this filter transfer functions?

Comment

Have you simmed your baffle info? It doesn't look like it. I wouldn't use a 4th order network on the woofer either.
                              -Kerry

Comment

No hurry, the notch on the tweeter was for the hump at 10k. I could drop it but the hump comes back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Filter.png Views:	1 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	1418681
                                Is this filter transfer functions?
                                Yes, and the woofer looks about right I think. Maybe the tweeter too.

I've got my computer tonight. Can you post the woofer, and tweeter frd and zma files that you are using? Does the tweeter raw response show a peak?
                                Last edited by rpb; 08-06-2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X