Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

New Build Advice...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam, if you didn't already know "the Blender" refers to Jeff Bagby's FRD Response Blender and Minimum Phase Extractor

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
      Btw I thought these were suppose to be against the wall?
      They will be very close to the wall

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
        Adam, if you didn't already know "the Blender" refers to Jeff Bagby's FRD Response Blender and Minimum Phase Extractor
        I kinda feel like we have moved well above my level of understanding.... But I'm willing to learn and greatful for the help.

Comment

Btw I thought these were suppose to be against the wall?
          My proposed filter may have too much BSC for near wall. (I think.) I have another filter with less that I didn't post. It's hard to accurately visualize how much compensation is being used. The baffle sim I posted shows a couple dB bump near 1k. The driver response also has some peaking in that range. I figured the response needed to be down a lot at 1k. to offset the above mentioned peaking, and maybe 3dB of BSC. I'm going to use the blender, and see how close my estimate was.

Comment

Can't seem to download the program. Can someone use it, and fix these files for us?

Comment

Seriously? This DIY... We would need the baffle dims with the driver locations to start. I see the files above, where did the NE180-04 files come from?
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Seriously? This DIY... We would need the baffle dims with the driver locations to start. I see the files above, where did the NE180-04 files come from?
                I clicked the download button, and it opened a blank spreadsheet on my computer. I think 9x16 would work. This is just preliminary practice at this point anyway.

Comment

I traced the NE180W files from the spec sheet

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ne180onbaff.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1418928 I miss read the baffle dims and used 9 x 19 with the woofer mounted high, so the file should be very close.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rs28aonbaff.JPG Views:	2 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	1418921
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jhollander; 08-08-2019, 01:42 PM. Reason: finaly got the attachments right?
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Cool. What do I do with this? I know I'm asking a lot of questions and I hope I'm not frustrating anyone

Comment

Originally posted by adam215 View Post
                        Cool. What do I do with this? I know I'm asking a lot of questions and I hope I'm not frustrating anyone
                        Use these frd files in your sim in place of the ones we were using. The software alters the response the same way the speaker baffle alters it. Part of the x-overs function is to correct for baffle effects. For example, there's a 2dB bump at about 800hz in the woofer response. (top graph) In addition, everything above 1k is a lot louder than the bass. (6dB louder) To get the tonal balance more even, the speakers response is altered so that there is less rise in the response. My speakers are on stands away from the wall, and I usually reduce this 6dB step down to about 1dB. With the speakers close to the wall, the step doesn't need to be reduced as much. Placing the speaker near the wall increases the bass. In addition, it sometimes is listener preference. I think I read that the Continuums used 3dB of compensation. If you look back at post 69, my sim shows the bass being louder than the treble. That was an attempt to compensate for the baffle. Now that the files are altered, we sim for flat, or posibly a slightly rising response. I should have a new sim soon if things go well.

Comment

The woofer file appears to contain no data. I think I downloaded the program to my thumb drive. I'll try it on my other pc. Crossing my fingers!

Comment

Last edited by jhollander; Today, 12:42 PM. Reason: finaly got the attachments right?
                            There is nothing there for the NE180 frd file. It's not that the file has all zeros or anything but I don't get a file at all when I click on it.
                            ​​​​​​​RS28A file seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

There is nothing there for the NE180 frd file. It's not that the file has all zeros or anything but I don't get a file at all when I click on it.
                              RS28A file seems fine.
                              Use this one for the time being. I think this is the right one. It's the first time I used the software, so it may have some issues, but it looked right to me.

BlendedMinPhase NE180.frd
                              Attached Files

Comment

Made a few sims with new frds. Here's one of them.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X