Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 x 14 x 10 sounds perfect lets call it that

Comment

• Any facets you add will affect the tweeter more than the woofer. The woofer cone also will cause a little diffraction in the tweeter response, but there's not much you can do about that. I think it's best not to have the tweeter located equal distances from the top and sides. If the center is 4.5" down, and 4.5" to both sides, the diffraction is increased at some frequency. The software can sim this for you. I can't draw it, but I think shallow facets near the top of the box look neat, and may smooth the response a little. Someone recently posted a picture of their build where they did that on one side. jhollander maybe? For the x-over, it probably doesn't change what's needed very much. I like what large round-overs can do, but they challenge my wood working skills too much, so I usually do an eighth inch radius just to smooth the edges.

Comment

• The Edge is a fairly straightforward and easy to use free software offering found here at Tolvan Data; http://www.tolvan dot com <(not sure if I can post a true link w/out violating forum rules so replace the dot with a .) It lets you see how the frequency response responds to changes in positioning.
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	new speaker.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1419315 how does this look? facets top and bottom.

Comment

• Originally posted by adam215 View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	new speaker.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1419315 how does this look? facets top and bottom.
            Looks nice. How far down from the top is the tweeter, and woofer?

Comment

• The tweeter is 3 7/16 down and the woofer is 8 13/16 down

Comment

• Here's what I've come up with for a x-over.

Name:	latest ne180 rs 28 sim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	1419387

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	latest ne180 rs 28 sim woofer.jpg
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	1419389 Parts, etc.

Comment

• Tweeter x-over.

Name:	latest ne180 rs 28 sim tweeter.jpg
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	1419391

Comment

• Originally posted by rpb View Post
                      Tweeter x-over.

Name:	latest ne180 rs 28 sim tweeter.jpg
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	1419391
                      Thanks for these... I'l order the parts and start building. I'll post a build log as I go. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this conversation, this forum is always great when it comes to sharing knowlege.

Comment

Here's what I've come up with for a x-over.

Name:	latest ne180 rs 28 sim.jpg
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	1419387
                        Would you mind posting the XO schematic... My pea brain is having trouble deciphering it from the posted values.

Comment

• Don't rush to order parts. Some parts will be expensive like the 2.5mH coil. This coil can be a high resistance "cheaper" coil. The resistor values in the notches include the resistance of the coil, so a 2 ohm, and a 2.5 ohm for the tweeter should work. The .3mH coil will likely be about .2 ohms, but you should verify. The 9.6 ohm can be a 9 ohm. These resistor values are not critical, and changing them allows tweaking the response at different frequencies.

There may also be more x-overs suggested.

Comment

Don't rush to order parts. Some parts will be expensive like the 2.5mH coil. This coil can be a high resistance "cheaper" coil. The resistor values in the notches include the resistance of the coil, so a 2 ohm, and a 2.5 ohm for the tweeter should work. The .3mH coil will likely be about .2 ohms, but you should verify. The 9.6 ohm can be a 9 ohm. These resistor values are not critical, and changing them allows tweaking the response at different frequencies.

There may also be more x-overs suggested.
                            Do u mind posting the schematic so I can see how it should be laid out?

Comment

• I don't have a good easy way to draw it. Not tonight anyway. You did some sims. The tweeter is a 3rd order. 18uf, .12mH. 36uf. Then there's a notch with the other three values shown They are in series with easch other, and across the tweeter terminals. Two ohm resistor in front of the x-over.,

Comment

• Same idea on the woofer. Second order low-pass using 1.3mH, and 5.6uf. Then two notches just like the tweeter notch.
                                One notch is centered around 1k to shape that area, the other around 5k to hammer that 5k spike in the response.

Comment

Working...
                                X