New Build Advice...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by adam215 View Post
    Do u mind posting the schematic so I can see how it should be laid out?
    In Passive Crossover Designer there is a grey button below the woofer and tweeter sections that says "View PCD Circuit Layouts". If you click it, it will unhide a tab called Printout (you can actually see the grey tab in rpb's image in post #114). This shows a generic layout for the woofer and tweeter with inductors (L1, L2, L3,...), capacitors (C1, C2...) and resistors (R1,...) labeled. If you hover the mouse over the cells in the woofer and tweeter areas a comment box will will pop-up showing what position that cell refers to. You should be able to look at rpb's values in certain cells and match them up to the generic circuit layout.

I don't have time to do it now, but if it is too complicated I'm sure someone will take the time to sketch it out; it may just take a little bit for someone to have time to do it.

Comment

Do u mind posting the schematic so I can see how it should be laid out?
      The layout is pretty much like the one in post 48, and 56. Here's the PCD layout. Some of the x-over locations are labeled on my sim. The notches are not, since there are three potential positions. (All three are on the far right side.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PCD LAYOUT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1419507

Comment

• Originally posted by rpb View Post

The layout is pretty much like the one in post 48, and 56. Here's the PCD layout. Some of the x-over locations are labeled on my sim. The notches are not, since there are three potential positions. (All three are on the far right side.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PCD LAYOUT.jpg Views:	1 Size:	177.3 KB ID:	1419507
        Wow, that's a big xover. I'll put those values into my software and see if I get similar results

Comment

• ne180 on baffle simulated.frd
          Originally posted by adam215 View Post

Wow, that's a big xover. I'll put those values into my software and see if I get similar results
          There's a spot for many parts, and different layouts. Most are unused in our sim. The funny thing is, after you use the software a while, you seldom need to look at this layout.

I need to post the modified files for the 9 x 14 baffle. Let me see if I can find them.

Comment

• Tweeter

rs28 on a baffle simulated.frd
            Attached Files

Comment

• Woofer

ne180 on baffle simulated.frd

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Last Schema.png
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1419577
                Does this look like what you have?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Last Schema.png
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1419577
                  Does this look like what you have?
                  Yes. That's correct.

Comment

• Note that some resistors are not real resistors, and are coil DCR or a combination of DCR and real resistor.
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Note that some resistors are not real resistors, and are coil DCR or a combination of DCR and real resistor.
                      Wolf
                      Correct, and the resistor values can be changed to tweak different frequencies by a few dB in the area of the notches. Buy extra parts for tweaking if you don't have some already. Also, assemble the x-over external, so that you can touch resistors, and see if they get warm at all under high spl conditions.

Comment

• And if you have some of those cheap alligator jumpers you can easily switch between crossover components and see what kind of difference that makes.
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

• Originally posted by rpb View Post

Correct, and the resistor values can be changed to tweak different frequencies by a few dB in the area of the notches. Buy extra parts for tweaking if you don't have some already. Also, assemble the x-over external, so that you can touch resistors, and see if they get warm at all under high spl conditions.
                          Thx everyone, I'm away on a camping trip (ugh) right now but when I get back I'm going to start building the cabs. Do you think this general xo design, barring any tweaks, is my best bet? If so, I'll start pulling together the parts. Thx again!!

Comment

Working...
                          X