X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adam215
    replied
    Originally posted by rpb View Post

Correct, and the resistor values can be changed to tweak different frequencies by a few dB in the area of the notches. Buy extra parts for tweaking if you don't have some already. Also, assemble the x-over external, so that you can touch resistors, and see if they get warm at all under high spl conditions.
    Thx everyone, I'm away on a camping trip (ugh) right now but when I get back I'm going to start building the cabs. Do you think this general xo design, barring any tweaks, is my best bet? If so, I'll start pulling together the parts. Thx again!!

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    And if you have some of those cheap alligator jumpers you can easily switch between crossover components and see what kind of difference that makes.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Note that some resistors are not real resistors, and are coil DCR or a combination of DCR and real resistor.
    Wolf
    Correct, and the resistor values can be changed to tweak different frequencies by a few dB in the area of the notches. Buy extra parts for tweaking if you don't have some already. Also, assemble the x-over external, so that you can touch resistors, and see if they get warm at all under high spl conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Note that some resistors are not real resistors, and are coil DCR or a combination of DCR and real resistor.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by adam215 View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Last Schema.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1419577
    Does this look like what you have?
    Yes. That's correct.

Leave a comment:

• adam215
    replied

Name:	Last Schema.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1419577
    Does this look like what you have?

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Woofer

ne180 on baffle simulated.frd

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Tweeter

rs28 on a baffle simulated.frd
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    ne180 on baffle simulated.frd

Wow, that's a big xover. I'll put those values into my software and see if I get similar results
    There's a spot for many parts, and different layouts. Most are unused in our sim. The funny thing is, after you use the software a while, you seldom need to look at this layout.

I need to post the modified files for the 9 x 14 baffle. Let me see if I can find them.

Leave a comment:

• adam215
    replied

The layout is pretty much like the one in post 48, and 56. Here's the PCD layout. Some of the x-over locations are labeled on my sim. The notches are not, since there are three potential positions. (All three are on the far right side.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PCD LAYOUT.jpg Views:	1 Size:	177.3 KB ID:	1419507
    Wow, that's a big xover. I'll put those values into my software and see if I get similar results

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied

Do u mind posting the schematic so I can see how it should be laid out?
    The layout is pretty much like the one in post 48, and 56. Here's the PCD layout. Some of the x-over locations are labeled on my sim. The notches are not, since there are three potential positions. (All three are on the far right side.)

Name:	PCD LAYOUT.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1419507

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    In Passive Crossover Designer there is a grey button below the woofer and tweeter sections that says "View PCD Circuit Layouts". If you click it, it will unhide a tab called Printout (you can actually see the grey tab in rpb's image in post #114). This shows a generic layout for the woofer and tweeter with inductors (L1, L2, L3,...), capacitors (C1, C2...) and resistors (R1,...) labeled. If you hover the mouse over the cells in the woofer and tweeter areas a comment box will will pop-up showing what position that cell refers to. You should be able to look at rpb's values in certain cells and match them up to the generic circuit layout.

I don't have time to do it now, but if it is too complicated I'm sure someone will take the time to sketch it out; it may just take a little bit for someone to have time to do it.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Same idea on the woofer. Second order low-pass using 1.3mH, and 5.6uf. Then two notches just like the tweeter notch.
    One notch is centered around 1k to shape that area, the other around 5k to hammer that 5k spike in the response.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    I don't have a good easy way to draw it. Not tonight anyway. You did some sims. The tweeter is a 3rd order. 18uf, .12mH. 36uf. Then there's a notch with the other three values shown They are in series with easch other, and across the tweeter terminals. Two ohm resistor in front of the x-over.,

Leave a comment:

• adam215
    replied
    Don't rush to order parts. Some parts will be expensive like the 2.5mH coil. This coil can be a high resistance "cheaper" coil. The resistor values in the notches include the resistance of the coil, so a 2 ohm, and a 2.5 ohm for the tweeter should work. The .3mH coil will likely be about .2 ohms, but you should verify. The 9.6 ohm can be a 9 ohm. These resistor values are not critical, and changing them allows tweaking the response at different frequencies.

There may also be more x-overs suggested.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X