Tarkus speakers - woofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarkus speakers - woofer

I want to build a bass heavy floor standing speaker. The two I'm considering are the Classix 2.5 and the Tarkus. I'm not a fan of the way the Tarkus look split up, I would like to build one cabinet. Could I put the sub on teh side of the speaker, and have the tweeter and mid pointing forward? Or does the woofer put audiable frequencies beyond bass.

Any other speaker designs are welcome, but I want them to be proven. Thanks!

Typically the bass becomes omnidirectional around 100Hz (ish) and subwoofers crossed that low can basically be located anywhere. The woofer on the Tarkus is crossed around 400Hz and will be producing audible frequencies above that. So you WOULD need to change the crossover if the woofer was on the side. However, I don't know how complicated that would be and you might be able to get help from forum members - which would be a pretty cool build.

Comment

Depending on your budget, here is an excellent speaker, the Juggernauts, with side firing woofer and passive radiator. The tweeter is expensive but the designer said they are pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by bgymr View Post
        I want to build a bass heavy floor standing speaker. The two I'm considering are the Classix 2.5 and the Tarkus. I'm not a fan of the way the Tarkus look split up, I would like to build one cabinet. Could I put the sub on teh side of the speaker, and have the tweeter and mid pointing forward? Or does the woofer put audiable frequencies beyond bass.

Any other speaker designs are welcome, but I want them to be proven. Thanks!
        There is at least one Tarkus build which houses the drivers in a single cabinet, it's either on PETT or on Paul Carmody's website.

Judging solely from Paul's write ups, the Tarkus will be in a different league than the Classix for playing loud. They use a more robust tweeter, for example: the DX25 has higher power handling than the BC25.

I've yet to build my 2.5s but if they sound like the Classix II, but louder, they will be great! I couldn't afford the Tarkus, either from WAF perspective or $$ wise, as the tweeter and bass driver are quite expensive in Oz.

Geoff

Comment

I haven't priced the Tarkus, but the 2.5s are around $160 with the current coupon. I imagine the Tarkus is $50-70 more? While I don't have money to blow for something I will use for 10 years i'll stretch the budget. I'm just not convinced I need the Tarkus. I have a 80wpc old school receiver I will pair these speakers with. Currently I am pushing a set of Paradigm Monitor 9s. And they are plenty loud. They are similar to the 2.5 in driver choices. I was playing them yesterday and they lack control in the low low frequencies. So I got to thinking maybe I need a bigger woofer, otherwise I have the Classix parts in my cart.

Are your Classix 2.5 authoritative in the low frequencies?

Comment

I can recommend my Zingers, just use the 1.5ft^3 volume option to extend them to the floor. They are GREAT on bass with an F3 of 29Hz. I built mine at 1ft^3 for stand-mounts for application, but have heard the woofers in 1.5ft^3 and they are really good.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I haven't priced the Tarkus, but the 2.5s are around $160 with the current coupon. I imagine the Tarkus is $50-70 more? While I don't have money to blow for something I will use for 10 years i'll stretch the budget. I'm just not convinced I need the Tarkus. I have a 80wpc old school receiver I will pair these speakers with. Currently I am pushing a set of Paradigm Monitor 9s. And they are plenty loud. They are similar to the 2.5 in driver choices. I was playing them yesterday and they lack control in the low low frequencies. So I got to thinking maybe I need a bigger woofer, otherwise I have the Classix parts in my cart.

I haven't built the 2.5s yet but use the Classix II in my garage/workshop, which is small-ish; the Classix II sound great in that space and have plenty of natural sounding bass.

However, I've tried them in a much larger inside room and the DC160s can run out of puff on more demanding material, such as The Band's "Up On Cripple Creek", which has a hard to reproduce bass and drum pattern. Ditto Sam Brown's "Box". But with other material such as jazz, classics and almost all other pop/rock, fine.

That said, the tracks in question are really a quite difficult challenge for any speaker I've heard, including my 'reference MTMs.

The 2.5s should overcome any issues in that department, I think.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                I can recommend my Zingers, just use the 1.5ft^3 volume option to extend them to the floor. They are GREAT on bass with an F3 of 29Hz. I built mine at 1ft^3 for stand-mounts for application, but have heard the woofers in 1.5ft^3 and they are really good.

Later,
                Wolf
                Great for vintage subwooferless systems.

Theorized and proven: "Zingers", an InDIYana 2019 8" 2-way design... - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

What I am making from Wolf's "Zinger" design - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

hmm, those have my attention. I would build them to be floor standing, I guess as long as the f3 is kept correct wouldn't matter much. How do you like the sound?

Comment

I like them quite a bit. They had good reviews from the past MWAF as well.

If you had to shift dims to get them to the floor for 1.5ft^3, you can reduce width by about an inch. Depth and height are negotiable.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

They sound very nice. I was able to take my 2.1 PC sound system subwoofer out of the circuit. The 8" driver is a dual voice coil subwoofer. The crossover was designed for a DIY event contest to use the least amount of crossover components consistent with good sound.

Wolf mentions Paul Carmody's Aethers using the same driver in a larger vented box.

I went for a vintage look at the expense of sound quality. The old style recessed baffle is out of fashion, it produces sound artifacts. Really, for people with a simple old stereo amp/receiver, speakers like these are perfect. So many modern 2 way speakers are designed to be used with a subwoofer. These absolutely are stand alone full range stereo units.

Highly recommended. An economical build with the exception of one huge coil for the woofer. Tweeter on sale half price until 8/7. Wolf has a parts list somewhere in his thread.

Peerless DA25BG08-06 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter 6 Ohm

Aethers - undefinition

Comment

Interesting. I looked at the parts list and these are pretty cheap to build-$125ish? i will think about it, but they certainly fit the bill. They should be able to take 80 watts, right?

I like the idea of less components in the crossover, intuitively I would think that means a less molested sound. Does that make sense?

I guess the only thing you have me thinking now, why not do it with a 10"? haha

Comment

I made that mistake when I first joined the forum and started learning: believing better bass equates with larger woofers. I had to read an audio science book to snap me out of it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	zinger.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1418525

Comment

Can you please confirm my shopping cart? Specifically the inductor and caps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X