No announcement yet.

midrange enclosure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen guys use a sturdy large-diameter pipe to the back of the cabinet, and try different amounts of stuffing, and closing or not closing the back of the pipe. That way you can experiment.
    Francis

Comment

One thing to bear in mind with oversized sealed enclosures is the high pass effect / rolloff at lower frequencies - essentially your F3 shifts up. That's what I found and had to compensate in the crossover since the rolloff began around 300Hz with a box Qtc below 0.5. I was trying to create as much distance as possible to the back wall to allow varying densities of stuffing to absorb backwave. I probably should have also targetted a transient perfect Qtc 0.5 enclosure size.

Another good thing to do is have a removable back on your test box. That way you can effectively run it open back - placed where you normally would and see if there is any acoustic cancellation to take into account in your XO plus how it sounds to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
        One thing to bear in mind with oversized sealed enclosures is the high pass effect / rolloff at lower frequencies - essentially your F3 shifts up. That's what I found and had to compensate in the crossover since the rolloff began around 300Hz with a box Qtc below 0.5. I was trying to create as much distance as possible to the back wall to allow varying densities of stuffing to absorb backwave. I probably should have also targetted a transient perfect Qtc 0.5 enclosure size.

Another good thing to do is have a removable back on your test box. That way you can effectively run it open back - placed where you normally would and see if there is any acoustic cancellation to take into account in your XO plus how it sounds to you.
        Thank you for making me think about a .5 Q. I will try this out. This will be tri-amped so I will be using an electronic crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
          I've seen guys use a sturdy large-diameter pipe to the back of the cabinet, and try different amounts of stuffing, and closing or not closing the back of the pipe. That way you can experiment.
          Yes, this is what I was thinking. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X