Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

midrange enclosure

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • midrange enclosure

    I am testing several midrange drivers and was wondering the best kind of enclosure to use. A simple closed box, an open back tube, an open back tube with stuffing, etc

  • #2
    You model midrange drivers the same as with woofers. Between the modeling for the region near Fs and the data sheet SPL charts for above that there's little need for testing, especially if the charts show off-axis.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      You model midrange drivers the same as with woofers. Between the modeling for the region near Fs and the data sheet SPL charts for above that there's little need for testing, especially if the charts show off-axis.
      I think you misunderstood what I am asking. I am trying to decide between several midrange drivers I have but I guess that doesnt have anything to do with my question.

      Better put, what enclosure sounds better for a midrange driver? For instance, I have heard that open tubes sound less boxy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Do. Or do not. There is no try.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll point out that with a long tube filled with a good absorber, it doesn't matter if you close the back. If you want the sound of some back wave escaping, you will have to moderate the stuffing, although without some you'll get a pipe resonance.
          Francis

          Comment


          • #6
            I think Bill's point is that there is no specific enclosure that sounds better for all mid-range drivers, it depends on the Thiel-Small parameters and box modeling. Some people love open-back mids but that is not a blanket statement for all mid-range drivers - they would then want to identify drivers that will actually perform well under those circumstances.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
              I think Bill's point is that there is no specific enclosure that sounds better for all mid-range drivers, it depends on the Thiel-Small parameters and box modeling. Some people love open-back mids but that is not a blanket statement for all mid-range drivers - they would then want to identify drivers that will actually perform well under those circumstances.
              That, and some people like the sound of the back wave reflecting off the walls etc. Some don't want that. It's all down to what you prefer.
              Francis

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fpitas View Post

                That, and some people like the sound of the back wave reflecting off the walls etc. Some don't want that. It's all down to what you prefer.
                That means the answer to the OP's question is: it depends. Then the OP needs to explain how he intends to use the speaker.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bradley.s View Post

                  That means the answer to the OP's question is: it depends. Then the OP needs to explain how he intends to use the speaker.
                  True! But he may need to try with and without a back panel on his midrange enclosure. We can't tell him if he prefers vanilla or chocolate ;)
                  Francis

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ha ha. That's the perfect first question: do you prefer plain vanilla or chocolate? Then, where are you going to eat your favorite ice cream, in a car, in a home theater, in fetal position crying over lost loves?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by analogkid442 View Post

                      I think you misunderstood what I am asking. I am trying to decide between several midrange drivers I have but I guess that doesnt have anything to do with my question.

                      Better put, what enclosure sounds better for a midrange driver? For instance, I have heard that open tubes sound less boxy.
                      That doesn't have to be true. A sufficiently sturdy, non-resonant back chamber filled with absorber won't sound boxy. But as we have been discussing, it's a matter of preference if you want an open pipe, or not.
                      Francis

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I probably would design one with one to three inches of dense fiberglass covering 80% of the walls in a random fashion. Any sound that makes it past that shouldn't be very audible, whether it's a sealed box, or open in the back. So if I left the back open, the sound would still be passing through fiberglass, and maybe foam too. I don't want any reflections to bounce back against the back side of the cone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by analogkid442 View Post

                          I think you misunderstood what I am asking. I am trying to decide between several midrange drivers I have but I guess that doesnt have anything to do with my question.

                          Better put, what enclosure sounds better for a midrange driver? For instance, I have heard that open tubes sound less boxy.
                          James Moriyasu did a nice study on midrange enclosure and a writeup in audioXpress magazine. Basically he concluded, the bigger the better. Yes, you do need to add stuffing, how much though is usually empirical.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have had good success with the Fourjay PH8-1 Protective Backbox with about 75% poly fill. It works very well if you have room for it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OK, Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with a closed box that is stuffed. I suppose I will have to experiment and see what I like, I will be crossing over around the 300-500 hz range.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X