Fairing stuffing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing stuffing question

I have a batwing fairing on one of my motorcycles, with a class d amp mounted inside. I would call it a leaky enclosure, as it isn't totally airtight sealed. When I have it cranking a bit, the low end is exciting it and producing audible noise. What would be the best options to stuff it with? I was considering rockwool, due to the fact that I will be getting rained on sometimes. Pros, cons, yay or nays? Any better options? Thanks. Glenn.

Is it possible to seal it with silicone or Flex Seal (As Seen On TV)? Doesn't seem like you should have to use anything special for stuffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
      Is it possible to seal it with silicone or Flex Seal (As Seen On TV)? Doesn't seem like you should have to use anything special for stuffing.
      I could do that with a bead of silicone, but I'm more concerned with the stuffing material that I could use that won't hold moisture. I may be over thinking it, as far as being worried about it being much of a problem. It isn't a problem unless I have it cranking for clarity at higher speeds. Glenn.

Comment

Would something like Lucite Tite foam spray work ?
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
          Would something like Lucite Tite foam spray work ?
          That would work very well to seal the inner and outer fairing, I would assume. I'm actually more concerned with damping the enclosure, so that I won't get the box boom effect from harder hitting bass, and thinking that it would tighten the bass, and clean up the mids as well by lessening back wave reflection through the speaker cone. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post

That would work very well to seal the inner and outer fairing, I would assume. I'm actually more concerned with damping the enclosure, so that I won't get the box boom effect from harder hitting bass, and thinking that it would tighten the bass, and clean up the mids as well by lessening back wave reflection through the speaker cone. Glenn.
            I think it would do that as well.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

You might try some of the stick on auto sound deadening mats or pull the fairing off and spray the inside of it with some rubberized undercoating.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

I think it would do that as well.
                Craig, do you think that the density of the curved foam would act to lessen the internal volume of the enclosure? I think that I am going to give this a try. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by devnull View Post
                  You might try some of the stick on auto sound deadening mats or pull the fairing off and spray the inside of it with some rubberized undercoating.
                  I may go this route if the foam doesn't give me the desired outcome. Thanks. Glenn.

Comment

Why not just Dynamat the fairing?
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                      Why not just Dynamat the fairing?
                      That would be too sensible and easy! And I forgot to mention, that I am always looking for the cheapest way that actually works. Lol. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post

Craig, do you think that the density of the curved foam would act to lessen the internal volume of the enclosure? I think that I am going to give this a try. Glenn.
                        I think it will do just what you are looking for.
                        craigk

Comment

From a bassist to a drummer, the cheapest way is to come by and I'll give ya some.
                          A mains
                          The Ventures
                          Open Invit8tions
                          RSR
                          Sound Troopers
                          Acorns
                          DGBG's
                          The Monuments

Comment

"producing audible noise" Is it vibrating the fairing or parts of it? wiring rattling, fasteners? What type of noise?

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                              From a bassist to a drummer, the cheapest way is to come by and I'll give ya some.
                              That is a very kind and generous offer, 6thplanet! I would love to hear some of the speakers that you have designed and built. Glenn.

Comment

Working...
                              X