X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomzarbo
    started a topic O.T. Rolling Clamp Caddy

O.T. Rolling Clamp Caddy

Posting a few pics of my newest wheeled creation; a rolling clamp caddy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClampCaddy2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1418729Click image for larger version

Name:	ClampCaddy1.jpg
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1418730

It holds 48 bar clamps of the Harbor Freight Tools variety. The top 2x6 takes care of my 12" to 10" Hand Screws, and the bottom 2x4 houses the 8" to 4" hand screws.
    I really seem to use the small to medium sized bar clamps the most by far; I have a lot of those.

The 'notches' are 3/8" wide and 2" on center. They are about 1.5" deep. I cut those with on the table saw with it's sliding miter sled.
    I used a 2x4 that I beveled to match the 7 degree angle of the uprights. The trickiest part was making sure the framework didn't intrude on the clamp slots. Not hard, but just needed a bit of planning.
    This was done with a sketch on scrap paper, I just built this as I went, trying to think ahead a few steps along the way. Fortunately, and surprisingly, I didn't get into too much trouble due to my lack of planning.

I may also include a piece to hold my medium herd of spring-clamps as well just to keep them handy.

I will likely strengthen the 2x4 pieces that are sticking out and notched for the clamps as they look to be just begging to be banged against something and broken off...

...But for the most part, I think it will be convenient to get to my clamps now, or to get them where I need them. They used to be around the corner in a dark part of the basement on a shelf... with the ends sticking out at eye level... yeah, this is much better.

Thanks for looking, hope this gives others a few ideas. BTW, the casters are HFT items as well.

TomZ

• a4eaudio
    replied
    The sides of both this clamp rack, as well as your wood caddy, would look much better with some curved veneer!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    I like how organized both of you are with the clamps, mine are all over the place. The cart is a really cool idea Tom and I can see how handy that would be. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Kevin,
    I do have some pipe clamps, probably six 3/4" pipe by 4 ft long and four 1/2" by 3 to 4 foot long. .. They're under my lumber caddy at the moment. I don't really use them anymore for the most part so I didn't make a home for them in this clamp cart.

I loved pipe clamps for gluing hardwood together you need some real force to do that sometimes.

I don't know how I got this many clamps, just bought a few at a time when they were on sale I guess. I don't have much invested in them really.

I added some boards to the ends of the long 2 by 4s to strengthen them a bit and add a few more slots. It's much sturdier now and I feel better about it's durability long term.

Name:	20190809_072728.jpg
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	1418986

Leave a comment:

• KEtheredge87
    replied
    I had to add a few of those pipe clamps to my collection lately, which meant a reshuffle of the French cleats.good thing I like flexibility! Got 5 60 inch bar clamps, and some 30 inch pipe if I need something shorter. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Tom, between you and Keith, I'm starting to have clamp envy. From the looks of it, neither of you have any of the old trusty pipe bar clamps, what's up with that? Guess I'm a bit old fashioned. I like how these can be used as standing clamps when needed. Also have a few other types like you guys have for the odds and ends jobs. Nice collection fellas.

Name:	s-l640.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1418977

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    Very nice job Tom! Well-built and compact.

I have a Rockler clamp rack and the thing is very large and bulky and takes up a lot of floor space. Something like what you built would probably serve me better.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
    See, I knew you had a clamp rack in the works there somewhere! Looks good, great use of the space for organization. I went with a more stationary solution when my clamp OCD reached critical mass - French cleat hanging racks! Things have gotten more condensed since this picture too.

Name:	Clamp Rack.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	801.8 KB
ID:	1418794
    I see some HFT clamps in your collection as well. They flex a bit, but I haven't had one slip yet. I like those French cleats, makes for endless repositioning options.
    Nice hermetically sealed dust collection setup as well.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• KEtheredge87
    replied
    See, I knew you had a clamp rack in the works there somewhere! Looks good, great use of the space for organization. I went with a more stationary solution when my clamp OCD reached critical mass - French cleat hanging racks! Things have gotten more condensed since this picture too.

Name:	Clamp Rack.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	801.8 KB
ID:	1418794
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bradley.s
    replied
    Nice shop

Leave a comment:

• DohBCooper
    replied
    Wow. That looks fantastic. I may adopt some of your ideas to achieve some sort of organizational sanity in the basement.....albeit with quite a few less clamps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X