Help - Goodwill cabinets need a new design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Goodwill cabinets need a new design

Hi there...I am a novice. I have built a couple of speaker kits, but in truth I am just lost when it comes to speaker design. So, I bought these two awesome speaker cabinets at goodwill the other day. They are circa 1960 solid maple octagon end tables (yes, they are actual end tables), with an 8" woofer and a horn tweeter. The cabinet is about 2' diameter, and 30" tall. They sound TERRIBLE. But really, the cabinets are what I wanted, and now I need to figure out how to make them sound good. There is no bottom on the cabinet, but I can fix that. My budget is going to be about $200 for the set, but that is, well...you know. I would really like to use a pre-built crossover, but I can solder if I have to. My amp is a Dayton Audio APA150. I would appreciate ANY help.

Some photos would be helpful, please.

Thanks

Geoff

Comment

My first thought was the dayton 8 MTM. I did not verify the accuracy of this link https://www.hometheatershack.com/for...mtm-rocks.html

Chris R may have a better link
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Yes, pics (and some actual dims) will be required.
        Those SEEM like they might be about 7cu.ft. each (around TWICE the volume needed for the "Dayton 8s"). Could you run a divider up in there to make two halves?

Comment

It might have finished, but four of PE's Deal of the Day - Peerless SDS 160PRO 6.5" woofers - could be combined with a cheap VIFA or Peerless tweeter for something interesting with a driver cost of under US$100.

The woofers need around 1 cu ft each if vented.

I used the Peerless and the BC25TG in a two way floor standing speaker (an existing DIY design but I tweaked the crossover with help from PETT members) and thought it was nice for the $$.

Geoff

Comment

Whatever drivers you choose, spend a little time and effort on bracing and damping the walls of the cabinet. It doesn't have to be expensive, even scrap pieces of (say) 1x2" lumber in the right places make a huge difference. You might be surprised how good even cheap drivers sound with a good cabinet and crossover.

BTW, those Peerless buyouts Geoff pointed out above are really nice drivers if you don't push them hard. Definitely worth the money.
            Last edited by fpitas; 08-07-2019, 10:30 AM.
            Francis

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I am attaching the requested pictures. Actual inside measurement were considerably smaller than I thought. My wife tells me I always think things are bigger than they are! It is a hexagon, with a 13" diameter. The speaker mount takes 3 inches top to bottom from the inside volume. It is 18" from the top(inside) to where I will seal the bottom. Again, any help appreciated!

Comment

Probably a bit less than 2cf in there (!). You COULD drop in Dayton's "Classic" 8" 2-way. Have to close up the bottom and add a (downfiring - probably) port.

Comment

Originally posted by hangtentex View Post
                  Thanks everyone for the input. I am attaching the requested pictures. Actual inside measurement were considerably smaller than I thought. My wife tells me I always think things are bigger than they are! It is a hexagon, with a 13" diameter. The speaker mount takes 3 inches top to bottom from the inside volume. It is 18" from the top(inside) to where I will seal the bottom. Again, any help appreciated!
                  What are the dimensions of the outside panels of the hexagon, please - it looks like the 'baffle' might be 13" high, but not sure about the width. You could then compare the dimensions with a design such as Chris Roemer posted above.

NB Chris really knows his stuff and has helped many, many PETT members including me with their projects.

It looks like an interesting and unusual project, good luck!

Geoff.

Comment

Since the drivers will be well below ear level, you need to tilt the listening axis upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                      Since the drivers will be well below ear level, you need to tilt the listening axis upwards.
                      I think we should move pass the idea that these can be used for critical listening. Perfect surround speakers imo
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post

I think we should move pass the idea that these can be used for critical listening. Perfect surround speakers imo
                        The OP said he wanted them to sound good. You should show him what the response of an mtm looks like vertically off axis.

Comment

Yes a TM would be best vertically.
                          John H

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Probably a bit less than 2cf in there (!). You COULD drop in Dayton's "Classic" 8" 2-way. Have to close up the bottom and add a (downfiring - probably) port.
                            Could you be a little more specific about what is a Classic 8" 2 way? I see the 8" classic woofer, but what are the other components? I have decided that these are not going to be "keepers". I want to make them decent, and then put them in our resale shop for sale. Honestly, most of our customers think they get great sound from their phone speakers, but I do have some integrity...so they have to sound better than they do now. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

For resale? I would search craigslist for a pair of cheap 2 way speakers that would fit and just install them as required.

Comment

Working...
                              X