Replacement mid for Optimus T100?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• csbrownnine
    started a topic Replacement mid for Optimus T100?

Replacement mid for Optimus T100?

I have a pair of Optimus STS-100's, one of the midrange speakers has a large tear in it and I would like to find a good replacement for it (I would replace it in both speakers. It is a 4" driver, but I don't know any other specs for it. I was wondering if the Visaton M 10 would be a good replacement driver? Anyone with experience with Optimus STS-100's or Visaton M 10?
    Last edited by csbrownnine; 08-08-2019, 11:43 AM. Reason: Corrected model number from T-100 to STS-100

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    4" "closed back" could be a problem (I don't SEE any on PE's site).
    If the voice coil still works, why not just apply white glue to the crack and see how it sounds?

Leave a comment:

• csbrownnine
    replied
    They are closed back, which seems would make repair difficult. I've never tried repairing a torn cone before, although I have used a repair kit from PE to replace rotted surrounds before and was quite happy with the results. Is there a good method for repair of a cone when the back is sealed?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Strange place for a tear ! Are they closed or open backed? Why not just massage the tear back together and apply a line of paper (Elmer's) glue? Does the voice coil still work?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    GRS 5SBM-8 5" Sealed Back Midrange

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Won't be a square frame, but the GRS sealed mid will likely be a decent match for that.

I would link, but PE site has about 40 tantrums per day where it refuses to load, and this is one of those times.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    You may get lucky, and someone here has measured the old driver, and/or redesigned the crossover for a new driver. Or perhaps eBay has a direct factory replacement. Otherwise, a repair might be the best solution.

Leave a comment:

• csbrownnine
    replied
    Here is a closer picture of the damaged midrange driver
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoPictureResizer_190808_112432794_crop_1281x1420[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	1418927

Leave a comment:

• csbrownnine
    replied
    Sorry, it appears that I gave the wrong model number. I was told that they were T-100's, but after doing some more research, it appears that they are probably model STS-100's? Picture attached. Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1418915

Leave a comment:

• kevintomb
    replied
    Originally posted by csbrownnine View Post
    I have a pair of Optimus T100's, one of the midrange speakers has a large tear in it and I would like to find a good replacement for it (I would replace it in both speakers. It is a 4" driver, but I don't know any other specs for it. I was wondering if the Visaton M 10 would be a good replacement driver? Anyone with experience with Optimus T100's or Visaton M 10?
    Could you provide a picture please. I see the T120 as having a mid driver, but not the T100.....

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    When I Google those, all I find is a unit with two woofers and a tweeter. For example:

https://tmraudio.com/product/tmr-1770

Leave a comment:

Working...
X