Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the coolest features of the forum software - the IGNORE LIST!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the coolest features of the forum software - the IGNORE LIST!

I have seen this mentioned before, so some people may be aware of this, but...

Click on your user-name in the upper right corner and select the drop-down for Profile
    Select Edit Settings button in the left margin
    Click the tab for Account
    The last item at the bottom is an Ignore List, you can just add user-names

Note that not only do you not see posts by the specified user, but if that user has starts a thread, the entire thread will not show up on the topic list when you visit the forum.

For example, if there is an entire thread about celebrity YouTube videos that becomes toxic or someone posts a question but then wants to just post how they know more than everyone giving them advice, you will never have to even see that such things are happening because it can all be ignored automatically for you!

That's great and all, but it don't work for me. I used to have a few annoying posters on there, but they turned up again and I can't get the list to do anything at all for me now.

Such lists can make a forum bearable when otherwise it's just not worth the trouble. Fortunately, this place isn't plagued with more than one or two noxious weeds at a time. The ones who ask questions and then don't like the answers they get always puzzle me. Then the ones who insist on "arguing" with people who know ten million times more about the topic than they do just blow my mind. This place is an awesome resource and I hate to see it abused.

Comment

What's funny, is occasionally it will boot out my list, and I'll have to reselect the same names again. I don't know the cause, but I've had to do that about 3 times over the years.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I did not know about this feature. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Despite there being thousands of members until recently there were only ten insufferable jerks that made their way onto my iggy list. Two more made it in just the last two days. When it rains it pours I guess.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            What's funny, is occasionally it will boot out my list, and I'll have to reselect the same names again. I don't know the cause, but I've had to do that about 3 times over the years.

Later,
            Wolf
            I've had to do that before, but now it just seems dead. Maybe it's an issue with my browser or something.

Ignoring the troublemakers is great, but you still can't avoid the damage they cause like feuds spilling into other threads, or causing helpful, generous people to hesitate to help or even bother to post here. As has been pointed out here before, some of the really knowledgeable people don't even come here anymore.

Comment

I’m sure I’m on a few persons list. Lol You’re only limited by your knowledge and persistence to expand your knowledge and to achieve what you want in getting the satisfaction that you made it

Comment

The key to many head to heads is to ask good questions and follow up with better questions (not stupid answers).
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                  The key to many head to heads is to ask good questions and follow up with better questions (not stupid answers).
                  You're right, but I suspect a few people here simply enjoy making trouble.
                  Francis

Comment

This may sound funny, but I have never seen a member on this forum I could not tolerate...

Now I am 2nd guessing, maybe I am on everyone's Ignore list?.....

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                      This may sound funny, but I have never seen a member on this forum I could not tolerate...

I was that way. I finally added one guy to my list last week.
                      Francis

Comment

I feel the same way.

It's not like this is a forum about politics or religion.

There is not much I can think of on a speaker design forum, that would make someone worthy of not seeing their posts at all. If I come across a post by someone that is intolerable, I just skip to the next post.

Comment

When you post something clever and no one replies, kind of makes you think doesn't it? I'm sure I'm on a couple members ignore list, but that's their choice to make so whatever.

Funny to think that the "coolest" feature of a social forum is the ability to be anti-social. I used to have a couple members on an ignore list years ago, but it only partially worked as you still see quotes when others interact, which just makes the conversation flow look weird. I'd also like to think that people can change, so ignoring someone today because they annoyed me 5 years ago isn't really fair, so I just use my brain now to ignore what I read on my own terms.

"I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            Funny to think that the "coolest" feature
                            To be fair, I did title the thread "one of the coolest". But there were two recent threads that got pretty ridiculous so I thought this might be useful to know. You are definitely right that it is about as easy to just ignore such posts without using the ignore feature.

Comment

Sorry...one of the many coolest things ;)
                              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Working...
                              X