A Noob's wiring diagram.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Noob's wiring diagram.

I'm already running wires will someone please look over this diagram and check my work? I just need to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Series/parallel wiring diagram 2 sets of 2 drivers.

Uh, don't do that (what, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?).
    This is OK if it's just for "junk sound". The amp SHOULD see a 6ohm (nom.) load.
    Are these all full-range (co-ax) drivers?
    I THINK you've got the power distribution backward.
    If the amp was outputting 18v, I think you'd end up w/a 12v drop across the 8n drivers, and a 6v drop across the 4n drivers. (the higher impedance would have the higher voltage drop - i think)

Comment

It will indeed make sounds, and the 6 ohms probably won't burn out your amp. Like Chris said though, you certainly will get different amounts of voltage and power to the drivers. What ARE you trying to accomplish?
      Francis

Comment

Ok it is a 2.1 50wx2 +100w sub amp. I have a 200w RMS sub on the sub channel which is not getting enough power to stretch it's legs. The other 2 channels are pushing too much power for the drivers I have to work with. I can't get volume over 33% because of the main channels so it's like my sub is bored and about to fall asleep. I'm basically looking for a combination to tame the main channels so I can let the sub take a jog ya know?

Comment

I have 3 6.5in 4ohm 30w, 1 6.5inch 50w 4ohm, and 2 5.25in 40w 8ohm drivers to work with. And the main channels can be bridged if need be.

Comment

Have you got some sort of active crossover before the amplifier? or are you relying on the highpass functions of the sub amp? If neither - are you intending to just run these drivers full range?

How are you planning to physically arrange the 4 drivers in your diagram?

The key problem you have is matching sensitivity. You might find 2 of the drivers "drown out" the other 2. What is handling the treble frequencies in your system? Are any of these 4 drivers coaxial or are full range drivers?

Comment

Don't do that!!!

The different resonant frequencies of the drivers will effectively filter each other out. Example:
              Say those 5.25" driver resonate at 80Hz... the impedance will rise to say 30 ohms or so, and they'll take all the amp voltage causing a huge null in the 6.5" drivers at that frequency. The same is true for the 6.5" driver resonance.

Instead, put the pairs of the same drivers in series, so their resonances are at about the same frequency and magnitude. That way they'll share about the same signal regardless of frequency. Then, parallel those 2 sets. You still get 6 ohms, but you'll have consistent frequency response.

I learned this the hard way. Had my 4" dash speakers in series with my 6x9 deck speakers in a car a long time ago to work with my custom 8 ohm amp. The result was a huge null at 100Hz where the 4" speakers resonated and didn't let the 6x9's have any signal.
              Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
              Wogg Music
              Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by Krazyk View Post
                Ok it is a 2.1 50wx2 +100w sub amp. I have a 200w RMS sub on the sub channel which is not getting enough power to stretch it's legs. The other 2 channels are pushing too much power for the drivers I have to work with. I can't get volume over 33% because of the main channels so it's like my sub is bored and about to fall asleep. I'm basically looking for a combination to tame the main channels so I can let the sub take a jog ya know?
                Post a pic of the amp and/or model no. What is the impedance of the sub?

Comment

Working...
                X