X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codyb852
    started a topic Dayton subwoofer enclosure

Dayton subwoofer enclosure

Can someone use their magical software and tell me what the perfect sized sealed enclosure would be for the Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm? This will be used for a car audio application. I will have to get a serious amp because its 4ohm but I want something really musical, not a rattle maker and I've heard this is one of the best options in the price range. I know it's not built for the extreme temperature conditions for car audio but it's cheap enough that I'm not too concerned. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

• Brian Steele
    replied
    Isn't the HO version supposed to be a little sturdier than the HF version?

Leave a comment:

• DohBCooper
    replied
    144.1 cubic inches or .0834 cubic feet is the flush mounted driver displacement according to BassBox Pro

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    a) Box size is no where near as "critical" for a closed box as a vented one (if you screwed around w/WinISD you could see for yourself).
    b) Accurate size is MORE critical on a small box than a large box (YOU are making a small box).
    c) If you just account (add) for the magnet (H * pi*r^2) and any space used up by the amp, you'll be close enough.
    d) You CAN try to account for the cone "shape" intruding into the box, BUT... if you're surface mounting the sub (OFTEN done where diffraction isn't an issue), you might end up ADDing (net GAIN) to the box volume, esp. if you double-up the baffle (essentially you're adding a cylindrical shaped "tunnel" onto the box, then subtracting out that cone shape).

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    The .37 is net of the driver. I can't tell you what the driver volume is. That should be on spec sheets but very seldom is.

Leave a comment:

• Codyb852
    replied
    Ok, you talked me into it. That means I can get by with a smaller amp which is good. Billfitzmaurice, maybe you can help me with the enclosure size as well Does Chris mean a total of .37cf or .37 plus the displacement of woofer? Will these specs change for the HF model. I probably sound like an idiot on here but I like to do things correctly and this is definitely not my area of expertise. Hopefully I haven't annoyed too many people with my basic questions. Thanks to those who took time to give me answers. I will put an order in for the hf subwoofer soon.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Where output is concerned what matters most is the cone displacement, T/S spec Vd. It's the same for the HO and HF, and their maximum SPL is virtually identical as well. The HF gets there with less power.

Leave a comment:

• Codyb852
    replied
    Sorry guys, just need a little clarification. Chris, would the recommendation of .37cf be the total size or would it be .37cf plus the displacement of the subwoofer? Billfitzmaurice, the RSS265-HF 4 looks to only handle half the wattage of the HO at 300w. Would it be enough to give me tingly feelings in the pants?! I want to feel the punch of a kick drum but blending in with my components and being musical are first priority. I have morel maximo ultras that are receiving 75w a piece. Well, they will be when I get them installed this weekend. This is going in a small two door car also. Thanks for the help gentlemen. This is my first subwoofer so I'm stoked!

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Polyfill does not affect the box volume. You probably don't need it. There's no midrange reflections to damp out with a sub, and in a car you don't really want the lower Q that stuffing provides. You don't want lower than a 60Hz or so F3 either, as in the small confines of a car cabin gain will kick in right around that point. This JBL data sheet shows typical in versus out of car response:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28...-Gto1202d.html

Leave a comment:

• Codyb852
    replied
    Thank you. So I would need to build an enclosure .37 plus the displacement of the the driver correct? If I add poyfill, do I need to change the size of the enclosure? I've never attempted to design a box for a given driver so figured I would get some advice from the experts! If I go larger, it will have a lower f3 right? Is that where you get a bump or rise in response? Please Explain in non engineer terms lol.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    I'd go around 1/3 cu ft sealed as well, but with the RSS265-HF 4. The higher Q gives higher sensitivity from 40 to 100Hz, which should complement the cabin gain below 60Hz nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    0.37 cf "net" (no lining/stuffing) yields a "Q" of 0.70 and an F3 in the upper 50s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X