amplification = to tube or not to tube ,that is the question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amplification = to tube or not to tube ,that is the question

tube equipment always seems to be the choice at audio shows , music only applications , what's the reason ?
    surely there are high end companies out there that make pre-amps and amps that could compete with or possibly outperform tubes !?
    donc

• donwc
    replied
    a lot of good points made by everyone .thanks for everyone's contributions .
    donc

Leave a comment:

• donwc
    replied
    chad1376 you are welcome or please accept my apologies !?
    donc

Leave a comment:

• chad1376
    replied
    OK - just so I don't derail this thread any more than I have already. It's Friday afternoon....

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't find your refurb boring at all. Hope you do a thread.
    What he said. Do a build thread.

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    EL 34 Dynaco like. From Triode Electronics? Nice. You will like that. Original iron?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Actually, I wouldn't find your refurb boring at all. Hope you do a thread.

Leave a comment:

• chad1376
    replied
    See what happens when I get into a thread, and start talking about stuff? Another big project is the result. I blame you all

I won't bore you with the details.

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    Good points, Washuliu. My experience with Korg NuTube is that, yes, microphonics can be an issue but can also be readily deat with. As to low gain, that is not correct, and you can read Nelson Pass's buffer article. 16DB of gain. A guy I know has a 1991 Ferrari. I would be hard pressed to tell him his car and its engine and transmission are outdated, inefficient and obsolete by today's standards. Looks great and drives pretty damn nicely if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied
    Some of these responses is a good reminder why this a speaker forum not an amp forum. For people posting under 60, please know that tube designs have expanded over the years and tube amps now sound whatever way you prefer - 'warm', 'transparent', 'accurate', hybrid, SE, push-pull, OTL on and on - the whole spectrum is covered. B*****ng about tubes is like saying paper drivers are nostalgia-driven, distortion-prone, over-priced and just not competitive with drivers made with newer materials.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by dst View Post
    In general, I confess to preferring the sound of the EL34 or 6550 tube amps I have owned over the SS amps I have owned, MOSFET and Hypex UCD180 (PWM). But I have heard brilliant tube amps and terrible tube amps, and the same in SS. Then of course one has to consider the DAC or speakers one has mated to the amps. We can argue which type of tubes people think sound better or, in SS, who are the class A aficionados (Pass Labs), high power (Boulder Amp), Class D, etc. Hey, whatever your ears like is fine with me. I heard a $100,000 set up of Boulder Amps and their pre, Focal speakers and mega buck CD and turntable at GABF several years ago and thought it sounded dry and lifeless. Andrew Jones SS powered speakers for 2K at GABF last year were brilliant. My friends old Sonic Frontiers 6550 tube amp and matching pre through a pair of old B&W Matrix 801's was one of the best systems I have ever heard. Sigfried L's LXMini with Emotiva mid level amps was one of the best systems I have ever heard at GABF. I was blown away by Audio Research Tube and Pre Amps and CD driving a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppies. I can't afford that high end stuff, but my Hypex amp through my SEAS DIY monitors sounds good. it's better with my EL34, but is in the EL34 sick bay with a dead channel. I am building a Nelson Pass designed Triode Tube buffer, but the tube is the Korg NuTube -- a mini low voltage triode that is very different. Check it out at First Watt or DIY audio or here: https://www.audioxpress.com/article/...org-nutube-6p1. Embrace the audio diversity!
    Reviews say microphonics are terrible and its gain is low, but it's about time the Korg NuTube started gaining ground with the diy community.

Leave a comment:

• chad1376
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Bob Latino's updated and improved ST-70 based amps would be my overwhelming choice over an old Dynaco. Stainless steel chassis, better quality PC boards, tube sockets.

I may still build one of those little Tube Depot amps. Maybe a pair of the monoblocks to sit on top of little TM speakers. Active speakers lol.
    I just took a quick look on Ebay for original ST-70's. After seeing what current pricing is, I agree. I think I only paid about $200 when I got mine, but complete amps are hovering north of $700 now. For that price, I'd want new stuff that I know works.

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    In general, I confess to preferring the sound of the EL34 or 6550 tube amps I have owned over the SS amps I have owned, MOSFET and Hypex UCD180 (PWM). But I have heard brilliant tube amps and terrible tube amps, and the same in SS. Then of course one has to consider the DAC or speakers one has mated to the amps. We can argue which type of tubes people think sound better or, in SS, who are the class A aficionados (Pass Labs), high power (Boulder Amp), Class D, etc. Hey, whatever your ears like is fine with me. I heard a $100,000 set up of Boulder Amps and their pre, Focal speakers and mega buck CD and turntable at GABF several years ago and thought it sounded dry and lifeless. Andrew Jones SS powered speakers for 2K at GABF last year were brilliant. My friends old Sonic Frontiers 6550 tube amp and matching pre through a pair of old B&W Matrix 801's was one of the best systems I have ever heard. Sigfried L's LXMini with Emotiva mid level amps was one of the best systems I have ever heard at GABF. I was blown away by Audio Research Tube and Pre Amps and CD driving a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppies. I can't afford that high end stuff, but my Hypex amp through my SEAS DIY monitors sounds good. it's better with my EL34, but is in the EL34 sick bay with a dead channel. I am building a Nelson Pass designed Triode Tube buffer, but the tube is the Korg NuTube -- a mini low voltage triode that is very different. Check it out at First Watt or DIY audio or here: https://www.audioxpress.com/article/...org-nutube-6p1. Embrace the audio diversity!

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    I heard my Old Skool B9s through a 35 WPC push-pull tube amp in an outdoor setting a few weeks ago. I've never heard them sound so good, everybody was pretty amazed. Would a nice SS amp sound just as good, I don't know but a tube amp is definitely on my radar.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Bob Latino's updated and improved ST-70 based amps would be my overwhelming choice over an old Dynaco. Stainless steel chassis, better quality PC boards, tube sockets.

I may still build one of those little Tube Depot amps. Maybe a pair of the monoblocks to sit on top of little TM speakers. Active speakers lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X