X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeCaWWW View Post

I agree, there should be some differece, but it maybe not so obvious. However, I googled and many articles suggest: "A key difference is that a tube product will require a small amount of upkeep and maintenance. For most who desire the benefit of tubes, it’s a small price to pay." - this is a quote frome one article, but I found the same opinion in several other sources. I also found some reviews and comparisons of guitar amplifiers tube and SS and there seemed to be more sensible difference even among the cheap amps google suggersts as an answer to my request
    https://pickadvisor.org/best-guitar-amp-under-200/
    I wonder, can anyone find some graphs or tech tests result? I didn't manage to find
    I started the thread on this topic in guitar players forum, I'll quote you if there will be some useful info
    You do realize that guitar amps are a whole different discussion? The distortion from the tubes being overdriven is exactly what you want. No connection to hi-fi. In fact, hi-fi amps usually sound terrible when used for guitar. I've seen DSP boxes to simulate the desired distortion so you can use SS amps at less than overdrive.
    Last edited by fpitas; 10-24-2019, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dlr
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    I can remember when tube testers were in just about every corner drugstore, because tubes were in everything, even car radios.
    My father took me along many times when he went to Radio Shack (I think, I was 6-7) to test the tubes either from his table top radio or our first B&W TV. Connections were at times the issue, I think, because one of our ways to get the TV working after going fuzzy was to smack the crap out of it. Sometimes it only took one good, hard whack. That was a good day.

At least the current tube gear is a bit more reliable.

dlr

Leave a comment:

• JoeCaWWW
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

If the amps are competently designed and built, there really should be little difference in sound between tube and SS. Here's an interesting comparison of good, yet reasonably priced amplifiers:

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...ereo-amplifier

Full disclosure alert: I use a J2 to drive my horns.
    I agree, there should be some differece, but it maybe not so obvious. However, I googled and many articles suggest: "A key difference is that a tube product will require a small amount of upkeep and maintenance. For most who desire the benefit of tubes, it’s a small price to pay." - this is a quote frome one article, but I found the same opinion in several other sources. I also found some reviews and comparisons of guitar amplifiers tube and SS and there seemed to be more sensible difference even among the cheap amps google suggersts as an answer to my request
    https://pickadvisor.org/best-guitar-amp-under-200/
    I wonder, can anyone find some graphs or tech tests result? I didn't manage to find
    I started the thread on this topic in guitar players forum, I'll quote you if there will be some useful info
    Last edited by JoeCaWWW; 10-23-2019, 11:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    They may be more similar that different but they do have flavors.

$.02

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

If the amp has glaring problems or tons of distortion, I'll agree. But quality amps? More similar than different.
    We will have to disagree on this.ton of different ways to build quality amps too. My Jeff Rowlands sound very different compared to my Spectrals, compared to my PS Audio, compared to my Musical Fidelties. Once you listen to them you can pick out what is playing instantly.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by craigk View Post

This is just not correct. It is just like speaker building. If I gave 5 people the same tweeter and woofer and tell them to build a speaker, none of them will sound the same. We all have our own, unique way of designing and building a speaker. Amps are the same way. A million ways to build one.
    If the amp has glaring problems or tons of distortion, I'll agree. But quality amps? More similar than different.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

If the amps are competently designed and built, there really should be little difference in sound between tube and SS. Here's an interesting comparison of good, yet reasonably priced amplifiers:

This is just not correct. It is just like speaker building. If I gave 5 people the same tweeter and woofer and tell them to build a speaker, none of them will sound the same. We all have our own, unique way of designing and building a speaker. Amps are the same way. A million ways to build one.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by mrmky View Post
    I argued the ss/tube debate for years with a friend of mine. I finally put it to a test. I listened to a rebuilt Hafler dh200 for a while, hrs. Then listened to a little ss class A Nelson Pass amp, then the Bob Latino st70. The Hafler caused fatigue after about a half hr. The class A amp I could listen to all day. The tube amp I could listen to all day, and it had a little something I can’t really put into words that the ss amps didn’t which made it even more enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• mrmky
    replied
    I argued the ss/tube debate for years with a friend of mine. I finally put it to a test. I listened to a rebuilt Hafler dh200 for a while, hrs. Then listened to a little ss class A Nelson Pass amp, then the Bob Latino st70. The Hafler caused fatigue after about a half hr. The class A amp I could listen to all day. The tube amp I could listen to all day, and it had a little something I can’t really put into words that the ss amps didn’t which made it even more enjoyable.

Leave a comment:

• donwc
    replied
    a lot of good points made by everyone .thanks for everyone's contributions .
    donc

Leave a comment:

• donwc
    replied
    chad1376 you are welcome or please accept my apologies !?
    donc

Leave a comment:

• chad1376
    replied
    OK - just so I don't derail this thread any more than I have already. It's Friday afternoon....

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't find your refurb boring at all. Hope you do a thread.
    What he said. Do a build thread.

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    EL 34 Dynaco like. From Triode Electronics? Nice. You will like that. Original iron?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Actually, I wouldn't find your refurb boring at all. Hope you do a thread.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X