General Enclosure Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Enclosure Question

I am working on customizing some plans for a set of Overnight Sensations but have what I fear might be a loaded question. I’ve read lots of opinions and other semi-related threads on the matter, but don’t really have a feel for what the actual general consensus is. In other words, please be gentle if asking this is faux pas. 😊

I also understand that worrying about this sort of thing is probably also overkill for just a pair of Overnight Sensations, so please just try to help me understand from a more general perspective such as if these were a $1k+ set of speakers instead. I’m still learning a lot about the actual electronic portion of speaker design, but already have advanced woodworking skills and would like to make set of speakers that are unique but don’t harm SQ.

The short of it is that I’m wondering how much the internal cabinet shape matters for a set of 2-way or 3-way speakers. There is a lot of mention of non-parallel walls or =/= 90-degree corners being beneficial to reduce standing waves as well as general guidelines for making sure that none of the dimensions are a multiple of another. There are even a couple notable posts that show others implementing this too, even if their motivations were different:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ght-sensations
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...hread?t=212169

Let’s assume that I keep the front baffle dimensions and driver location on the baffle the exact same dimensions that Paul has specified.
    1) It likely that changing dimensions & wall angles will alter the SQ to a degree that is perceivable, and if so, what are the likely things I’d notice change for better or worse?
    2) Do internal dimensions and geometry affect the behavior of the loudspeaker assuming that there’s no airflow restriction and the port tube is sufficiently away from walls, cones, etc.?
    3) Any other rules of thumb or things to think about?

Non-parallel walls are beneficial, as they reduce resonant modes, but by no means are they critical, as internal resonances are controlled by the damping that lines the cabinet.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'd worry about panel resonances more than internal standing waves. Like Bill said, damping material in the cabinet easily controls the resonant modes.
      Francis

Comment

The main thing you COULD do (to "customize" your own cabs) would be to trade internal box height for depth. The WIDTH of the OS cab helps determine "baffle step", and the position of the tweeter (from the top down) determines diffraction patterns. If you make boxes too "shallow" (not deep), you run the risk of the port no longer fitting (w/appropriate clearance).. If you make boxes too "shallow" (not deep), you run the risk of the port no longer fitting (w/appropriate clearance).

Comment

Working...
        X