Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Schumacher
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Oct 2005

Fripp is the composer, and the electric guitar player, founder of King Crimson ages ago.

I found the recording, performance, and composition riveting . . . all reasons why I build speakers, and I assumed reasons most of you do too . . . for the love of music.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Geoff Millar
      King Crimson were one of Hendrix' favourite bands:

Geoff
      Very cool snippet. Thanks!
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Geoff Millar
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher
        Fripp is the composer, and the electric guitar player, founder of King Crimson ages ago.

I found the recording, performance, and composition riveting . . . all reasons why I build speakers, and I assumed reasons most of you do too . . . for the love of music.
        I remember buying "In The Court of the Crimson King" about 40 something years ago, great cover and great album. It had the late Greg Lake on vocals, sometimes put through some weird effects to make a fairly scary vocal sound in keeping with the artwork. I think Mr Lake played on the second album too but then left.

My old LP wore out many years ago, unfortunately, and the cover doesn't have the same impact at CD size. Still, listening through the scratches, the LP has pretty good sound for its day.

Here's King Crimson's version of the late David Bowie's "Heroes", really like it:

And, for good measure, Adrian Belew and Martha Wainwright doing a live duet of the same song:

I think but am not sure, Robert Fripp played on Bowie's original and then Belew toured with David and played Fripp's parts.

Geoff

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Geoff Millar

I remember buying "In The Court of the Crimson King" about 40 something years ago, great cover and great album. It had the late Greg Lake on vocals, sometimes put through some weird effects to make a fairly scary vocal sound in keeping with the artwork. I think Mr Lake played on the second album too but then left.

My old LP wore out many years ago, unfortunately, and the cover doesn't have the same impact at CD size. Still, listening through the scratches, the LP has pretty good sound for its day.

Here's King Crimson's version of the late David Bowie's "Heroes", really like it:

And, for good measure, Adrian Belew and Martha Wainwright doing a live duet of the same song:

I think but am not sure, Robert Fripp played on Bowie's original and then Belew toured with David and played Fripp's parts.

Geoff
          So many great songs. Some really great musicians. They set the tone for progressive rock music for decades to come.

Comment

• Drummer
            Midrange Member
            • Feb 2018

I love Fripp, and I love Daryl Hall's voice.... this is one of my favorites, and one of the least favorites of Daryl's record company, at the time. Lol. I really miss Adrian and Robert together, and any drummer that hasn't tried to learn from Bruford's work is missing out, IMO. It should always be about the music. Glenn.

Comment

• djg
              Seasoned Veteran
              • May 2008

On a lighter note:

Live From Daryl's House - "Footloose" - YouTube

Comment

• Geoff Millar
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Oct 2014

Well, inspired by this thread I just had to make a compilation of "Heroes" covers by various artists!

Bowie - Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, backed by Queen - excellent, especially John Deacon's bass and the late Mick Ronson's lead guitar.
                The Wallflowers - excellent, from the Godzilla soundtrack, would you believe
                King Crimson, two live versions, both excellent
                Motorhead - still making up my mind on that one but I like it at the moment, a real surprise
                McKenzie Johnson (female acoustic cover) - excellent
                Postmodern Jukebox - OK
                Bowie's own 'unplugged' version - a nice surprise and contrast with the original
                Adrian Belew and Martha Wainwright - excellent
                Nurit Siegler - OK

Yes, a little obsessive but remember that there's a whole album of covers of Stairway to Heaven, and I think Heroes is a better song! Great bass line, too.

That got me thinking about any other songs which could merit the 'whole album' treatment: not Yesterday or My Way, etc etc; , any ideas? I think there's one for The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie".

Many of these artists have passed away but we can still enjoy their music on our DIY speakers.

Geoff
                Last edited by Geoff Millar; 09-12-2019, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Geoff Millar
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher

Very cool snippet. Thanks!
                  This is silly, an excerpt of a British game show which shows that Mr Fripp has a sense of humour, contrary to his on-stage demeanour:

Geoff

Comment

• zomby woof
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by fdieck
                    Show of hands of those who actually know who Robert Fripp is ......
                    I've been listening to Fripp since Exposure and saw the 80's King Crimson a few times. Listening to Sylvian/Fripp - The fist day right now.

Good stuff.

Comment

• fdieck
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

No Pussyfooting, released in 1973. Way ahead of its time. I didn’t hear it till the early 80’s and it was also my first introduction to Brian Eno.

Comment

• Squidspeak
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Mar 2012

The very first time I got to hear music on at the time was a top of the line sound system it was King Crimpson ; In the court of the Crimson king. Probably 1975 and the system was
                        all Marantz mono tube amps and preamp, don't recall the speakers or turntable. The rest is history, I do own Larks touhnge in aspic on CD. Played Book of SAturdays at my wedding.

Comment

• Geoff Millar
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Oct 2014

It's interesting to hear Robert Fripp talk about his role in King Crimson, of which he's been the only constant member. He talks about his role as similar to Miles Davis or Duke Ellington, in that he seeks out talent, tries to form a band of musicians and lets them 'do their thing', rather than always being a rock band front man. He has specific ideas of who he wants, and what he wants the band to look like.

Geoff

Comment

• chad1376
                            Midrange Member
                            • Jun 2010

OK - I had to dig deep to pull this up. My youngest kid drew this when he was 8. Not really exceptional, until I tell you he'd never seen the album cover. I had never shown it to him, and I don't think he would have been exposed to it anywhere else. Weird.

Comment

• Simon Moon
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Jun 2013

YEP!

It is musicians like Fripp, and bands like King Crimson, that fuels my love of audio in general, and interest in speaker building.

Bands and artists, that create music with the: complexity, subtlety, dynamics, high level of musicianship, emotional content, interplay, etc of KC, deserve an audio system with the best resolution, accuracy, detail, etc that my budget will allow.

King Crimson, and their British contemporaries, lead me to explore similar quality bands from many other countries, such as Italy (some of the best prog bands on the planet are Italian), Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden, etc, etc. Sweden was a major part of the prog revival that started in the mid 90's, and continues to the present.

Comment

• scottvalentin
                                • Jul 2015

In this vein, the new TOOL album is an exceptional mix of musicianship, recording excellence, lyrical complexity, and epic musical storytelling. I'm not a metalhead, yet I can listen to this a lot.

Comment

Working...