Radio Shack Optimus PRO-X77

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Shack Optimus PRO-X77

Came across a pair in very good condition at a thrift store. I looking for a crossover upgrade. I have been looking and seen information about upgrades for the Minimus 7s, LX-5, and so on. But nothing for the X77. Does anyone know of a posted upgrade? Or, can an upgrade for one of the others be used in this case as well? Any help is appreciated.

What is deficient with the stock XO?

Comment

I guess considering the age of the design and that it only has one cap and one inductor, it appears to be working as it should. I have seen others mod the minimus and optimus speakers and was wondering if there was a way to improve on this design. I can leave it alone just as easily.

Comment

My $0.02: it might be fun, and you'd learn how to measure the drivers and SIM crossovers. You might make some improvement at higher volumes. However, in the end you'll get more value for money building a modern design.
        Francis

Comment

That use the monopole version of the Lineum tweeter? I like that tweeter in the figure 8 configuration.

I should have some time in a couple weeks, if you have some measurement equipment hit me up and we can attempt to build a better crossover.
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
            That use the monopole version of the Lineum tweeter? I like that tweeter in the figure 8 configuration.

I should have some time in a couple weeks, if you have some measurement equipment hit me up and we can attempt to build a better crossover.
            Thank you. I appreciate the offer. However, I am not prepared with measuring equipment for this. Ergo, the quest for a designed crossover mod that already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
              My $0.02: it might be fun, and you'd learn how to measure the drivers and SIM crossovers. You might make some improvement at higher volumes. However, in the end you'll get more value for money building a modern design.
              Yes, I agree. More mileage from a better design. I do have Jeff's Picollo's speakers that I need to get working on and I have some parts for C-notes that I need to finish up for some satellites in my HT room. These just happened to be a distraction and I should probably stop doing that. :-) Just a deal I couldn't pass up at the thrift store. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by audiohob62 View Post

Thank you. I appreciate the offer. However, I am not prepared with measuring equipment for this.
                A lot of the measurement software like REW ( I know there are more but old age is kicking in) is free. Add a measurement mic like the minidsp umik1 (~$75) or Dayton umm6-usb (~$77), and you have a decent package to start with.

You would also need something to measure the impedance like DATS (~$110) or build the limp box for ~$30.

That may sound like a lot of money but if you stay in the hobby very long it will be worth it.
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

A lot of the measurement software like REW ( I know there are more but old age is kicking in) is free. Add a measurement mic like the minidsp umik1 (~$75) or Dayton umm6-usb (~$77), and you have a decent package to start with.

You would also need something to measure the impedance like DATS (~$110) or build the limp box for ~$30.

That may sound like a lot of money but if you stay in the hobby very long it will be worth it.
                  Thank you. I had purchased the DATS previously but it never worked out for me (not sure why). Not sure if it was a bad one or what. I will be getting the new one coming out and adding more of the needed equipment.

Comment

If we knew your location, someone might volunteer to make measurements for you?

Comment

Redesigning the x-over for an existing speaker is a nice way to dip your toes into the hobby. If you don't like the results, just restore the original x-over. I redesigned the x-over for my Mordaunt Short MS3.2s (cheap speaker that's 20+ years old) and I like the results. The original x-over was a simple cap'n'coil thing as well.
                      Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        If we knew your location, someone might volunteer to make measurements for you?
                        I am in the Phoenix area, specifically Glendale.

Comment

No problem...
                          can't be more than 1500 mi from here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            No problem...
                            can't be more than 1500 mi from here!

Comment

The easiest mod if you don't want to get too deep into these is to replace the stock electrolytic cap for a Dayton poly. It really wakes those Minimus/Optimus dome tweeters up. About twenty years ago I bought a pair of Minimus 7W (same tweeter), was unimpressed and about to sell them. After seeing about the cap upgrade, I tried it. I still have those speakers. Other than that you might try lining the enclosure with Dynamat and putting in some real polyfil stuffing and plugging the port.

Funny thing, I did an imagine search for Optimus Pro-X77 and scrolling down the page a bit, I came across a pic of my RCA Pro-X88AV's.

Comment

Working...
                              X