Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMM or MTM design using Dayton RS woofers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...using Solen and Jantzen inductors, AudioCap Theta and Solen caps, Mills resistors ..."

You can save some on the XO by using less than top-shelf parts. John has the kind of ear that can tell the difference. I don't believe I do.
    Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Tigeroner View Post
      Wolf,

Thanks for the responses and for the design list.
      I researched it a little and it looks like the only SEAS versions are Modula and Pete Schumacher's Dayton/Seas Home theater.
      Modula XO is ridiculously expensive - significantly more bucks than the drivers themselves... Will have to make a special occasion purchase probably.
      As a crossover newbie, I have to say I can't understand that one at all, so best of luck if you attempt it! I'm sure it sounds fine, but.

Do you already have the RS180 (aluminium) woofers? If not, you could consider another similar MTM design.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Tigeroner View Post
        Wolf,

Thanks for the responses and for the design list.
        I researched it a little and it looks like the only SEAS versions are Modula and Pete Schumacher's Dayton/Seas Home theater.
        Modula XO is ridiculously expensive - significantly more bucks than the drivers themselves... Will have to make a special occasion purchase probably.
        If I were to do it again, I likely would consider a design other than the Modula just because of the complex xover.

In my room, the MT's sometimes seem a bit bass heavy and I think I want more high end definition. Other times they sound terrific. I know my room has bass node troubles which I am still trying to solve.

There are other well reviewed designs out there. Jay Kim also designed an MT but not an MTM that I could find. He used fewer parts in the xover.
        http://www.oocities.org/woove99/Spkr...RS180_2way.htm

Comment

The Modula's Xover is designed by one of the speaker designing masters. Yes there are cheaper alternatives out there that are fine also, however I can say with authority that Jon Marsh's designs are worth the price of admission.

Comment

Originally posted by buggers View Post
            The Modula's Xover is designed by one of the speaker designing masters. Yes there are cheaper alternatives out there that are fine also, however I can say with authority that Jon Marsh's designs are worth the price of admission.
            Who's authority are you using to declare this statement ? The " I built it so it has to be the best," or I really have never compared it side by side to another design ?
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

1. My Authority
              2. I never said it has to be the best or is the best. Despite the complexity and cost it is a worthy consideration for the OP.
              3. I have compared the Modula with many different speaker designs and I still highly regard it, as well as designs from Curt C, JCD and others.

Comment

The TBFC is from memory 0.5dB more sensitive than the TDFC. I preferred the TDFC over the TBFC. I don't know why but the lower treble (~ 2.5KHz) the TBFC had some peaking going on (same filter - and a little extra attenuation to level match) than the TDFC.

I prefer the TDFC.... but I'd be inclined to swap it out for an SB Acoustics tweeter in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X