Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Else Miss The Classic 10” Two ways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say no, as all those I heard, or friends had, were cheap and sounded cheap. Thin chipboard cabinets, crossovers consisting of a capacitor and resistor, etc.

Of course, the speakers may have also sounded poor because of all the abuse, beer spillages and pet attacks!

There was something cool about the appearance, but.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
      I have to say no, as all those I heard, or friends had, were cheap and sounded cheap. Thin chipboard cabinets, crossovers consisting of a capacitor and resistor, etc.

Of course, the speakers may have also sounded poor because of all the abuse, beer spillages and pet attacks!

There was something cool about the appearance, but.

Geoff
      There were no doubt many dubious white-van offerings. Whatever the technical faults of the format, the Dynacos were built fairly sturdy.
      Francis

Comment

There's an argument to be made for crossing over high, and that's about where the proposition ends. 10" is the sweetspot for pretty decent bass that can still hit a couple khz cleanly (with the right driver), but 10+1 is just a way to try to have a proper 3 way without a proper 3 way.

Comment

I did my 442 project, basically RS270S crossed to an AMT-PRO around 1K. Just posted a couple of those tens in the classifieds. They are killer rockers!!
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
            There's an argument to be made for crossing over high, and that's about where the proposition ends. 10" is the sweetspot for pretty decent bass that can still hit a couple khz cleanly (with the right driver), but 10+1 is just a way to try to have a proper 3 way without a proper 3 way.
            Or to get a characteristic sound. Not accurate, but if you like it, you like it.
            Francis

Comment

Kinda miss it, building a set is on my speaker bucket list. Instead of 10" I've been thinking about replicating my old EPI 180s. 2 8" woofers, 2 inverted soft dome tweeters.

Take a look at Human Speakers, the guy that runs it used to work for EPI and Genesis. He's got some 8" and 10" drivers that might work for you.

Comment

Had the 25th Anniversary Large Advents for awhile. Sounded best with my Sonic Frontiers tube preamp and Parasound amp(mosfet drivers and bipolar outputs). Maybe not super accurate, but still musical. Big difference from my current B&W Matrix 805s.

Comment

The RS270p drivers are on sale!

Comment

an AE TD10M and a Beyma TPL-150H combo ,now that's a serious 10" two way.
                    donc

Comment

I think those older Advents did a good job at balancing compromises.

Probably better than some of their competition at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by donwc View Post
                        an AE TD10M and a Beyma TPL-150H combo ,now that's a serious 10" two way.
                        donc
                        If you just have to do it, and are willing to throw money at it, that's a good way.
                        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                          I think those older Advents did a good job at balancing compromises.

Probably better than some of their competition at the time.
                          Ive owned a few speakers with the 10" woofers and a tweeter, but while all sounded fairly good, they seemed to lack a certain midrange clarity or magic, that would make them Really good or great.

I enjoyed those type of speakers, but always felt they could do a bit more with a true midrange covering maybe 1000-2.5 khz.

As they were they got close, but never truly right.

Comment

back in the day eq's were used , if the eq was set in the "smiley face" / "V" position ,didn't that pretty much remove the midrange ? in car audio i always preferred two-ways over three-ways .
                            donc

Comment

Originally posted by donwc View Post
                              back in the day eq's were used , if the eq was set in the "smiley face" / "V" position ,didn't that pretty much remove the midrange ? in car audio i always preferred two-ways over three-ways .
                              donc
                              It did, but the 10" woofer with a dome tweeter has a somewhat different problem. The power response around the crossover is goofy, even if the on-axis response is ruler-flat, because of the mismatch in driver directivities. One way to fix that is by using a horn tweeter, like the one you mentioned above.
                              Francis

Comment

I miss the excitement of building speakers when everything was new about it to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X