Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Else Miss The Classic 10” Two ways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the old rs28a and a seos8 WG with the RS270P-4. The dayton 10" really does replicate drums quite nicely. thread link https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discus...-thread#latest
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

malboro2 back when we started everything was new to us even if it had been out for a long time . the excitement of all things new ,learning things ,buying new tools ,some we've never seen or heard of before,learning to use them ,the new people we met in person and internet .learning new skills and sharpening your old ones .going to new places/ stores / websites . maybe something new ,good and affordable will come out that sparks your interest .
      donc

Comment

DA32 Tweeter can do 1.2khz. Would be a great choice for a 10". I remember all the pooh-poohing of 8" 2ways 10yrs ago - now it's become less 'controversial'. Why have all these low crossing tweeters that are bragged about - wavecore blah blah blah - if we don't use 'em. I say go for it. Why the hell not.

Comment

ESS had a nice 2 way with 10 inch woofer that was kind of impressive, but no, I don't miss anything of that era.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	amt1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	1422228

Comment

My 10" 2-way both measures, and sounds good. I didn't build it for any nostalgic reason. Mostly I wanted to see how I liked it. I like it as much as any 6.5" I've built that costs about the same. More expensive speakers should be capable of better sound, so adding a mid should be an improvement, but could add $100 / speaker. Using a cheaper woofer and mid for the same total cost as my 2-way probably would not be a significant improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
              My 10" 2-way both measures, and sounds good. I didn't build it for any nostalgic reason. Mostly I wanted to see how I liked it. I like it as much as any 6.5" I've built that costs about the same. More expensive speakers should be capable of better sound, so adding a mid should be an improvement, but could add $100 / speaker. Using a cheaper woofer and mid for the same total cost as my 2-way probably would not be a significant improvement.
              Did you ever post the final details for this design?

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post

Did you ever post the final details for this design?
                No, I didn't. There didn't seem to be much interest really, and up until a few weeks ago, the x-over was much more complex. I think it was 14 or 15 parts, some of which were large coils used to make narrow notches in the woofer response. I was hesitant to spend $100 for a second rs270p, when I have so many drivers sitting collecting dust, and the x-over looked like it would be a lot of work to assemble in a permanent fashion. When I simplified the x-over, and then saw the driver on sale, it was a hard decision, but I decided to go with a 6.5" design. The ten may get built as a center, or maybe someday as a pair if I get the urge.

Comment

Ed Rosenquist is going to build a cabinet like what he brought to Grand Rapids but it will be hosting the TD10S instead of the TD8S, crossing to the TLabs Magnesium dome in that 1.5" deep, 8" diameter guide. I am SOOOOO looking forward to this one. They will probably just stay in my living room for good!

The TPL150H and TD10M pairing makes for a killer monitor, but it still needs a sub for best sound. And while I LOVE the TPL150, the vertical directivity is off putting to me. You must be at the same level as the tweeter or you lose the top octave very quickly. The character changes dramatically between seated and standing at typical listening distances. The dome in a guide will alleviate that obstacle, and the TLabs domes are amazingly transparent.

I really liked seeing that coaxial 10" project. Fantastic ingenuity on display.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

hello Pete ,what 8" guide ? original TL Magnesium domes or the new stuff ? i would like to see AE keep their website up to date .
                    donc

Comment

Originally posted by donwc View Post
                      hello Pete ,what 8" guide ? original TL Magnesium domes or the new stuff ? i would like to see AE keep their website up to date .
                      donc
                      I believe they're still making the existing lineup of tweeters.

Here's what will become a 10" 2-way instead of an 8" 2-way. Corian baffle, 1.5" thick with an 8" diameter guide, 1" throat, circular arc profile tangent at the guide edge.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...88#post1421188
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                        Here's what will become a 10" 2-way instead of an 8" 2-way. Corian baffle, 1.5" thick with an 8" diameter guide, 1" throat, circular arc profile tangent at the guide edge.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...88#post1421188
                        I sure hope they are at another DIY event, the original speakers sounded so good in Grand Rapids!!

Comment

Working...
                        X