C-Note crossover capacitor substitution question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Note crossover capacitor substitution question

I’m currently building a pair of C-Notes for my oldest granddaughter. I’m also considering building another pair for one of my
    listening rooms. I would like to take the excellent tweeter to the next level, by using film/foil caps in lieu of the stock metallized caps.
    A worthy modification, or overkill?

I don't think you will hear the difference but don't take my word for it. Buy some and try in one speaker and compare.

Comment

Originally posted by howard View Post
      I don't think you will hear the difference but don't take my word for it. Buy some and try in one speaker and compare.
      I tend to agree. If you hear a significant difference, report back. The foil (vs metallized) caps are good for higher current circuits, like in switching power supplies. Not sure what they have to offer with a few mA of current, like with a tweeter.

One caveat for testing different types of capacitors is to match the capacitance values very closely, closer than 1% I'd say. You can hear a few Hz variation in the crossover point on the right material, so matching is essential to make a valid A-B. Good luck!
      Francis

Comment

Working...
      X