Klipsch LaScala Parts List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klipsch LaScala Parts List

Been about 10 years or so since Ive been on here. Could someone direct me to a post or a link for a Klipsch LaScala build list (drivers, crossover). I am mostly interested in finding which woofer to use. I believe the stock woofer is obviously a Klipsch, I think 15” but wondering what options from PExpress are available.

I am thinking about building a LaScala lower cabinet/horn with a bottom ported cabinet modification. And since I do not like horn mids/tweeters doing a 4 midrange driver and tweeter mini line array.

thank you.
    YO

I would try the Klipsch forum.

Comment

Bob Crites sells replacements on ebay, reasonable price. Why not just get the right one?

Comment

djg because I am cheap and also wondering if there is theoretically anything better.
        YO

Comment

I have to ask why a crossover schematic? It's going to be nothing like what the crossover for compression drivers is going to be. Also, what 4 inch midrange is going to keep up with a horn loaded woofer with more than 100 dB of sensitivity?

Comment

It does seem that a Klipsch without a horn is like Mac & Cheese without the macaroni.
            Francis

Comment

And devnull is absolutely right about the crossover. You'll be on your own. With enough 4" drivers you *might* keep up with the woofer, I guess.
              Francis

Comment

devnull fpitas I said 4 midrange drivers, not a 4” midrange driver. In a series parallel configuration and using pro drivers either 4 5” or 4 6.5” drivers the sensitivity should easily be in the 97db realm in a line array configuration.

Quite frankly I think that horn loaded mids and highs sound awful. Additionally I am trying to build a system where the mids and highs match the bass. I have built three pairs of speakers in the past and have listen to countless commercial built speakers and I have yet to come across any of them where I didnt want to turn up the bass on the preamp significantly.
                YO

Comment

Get a subwoofer. Even better, get two.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by killerkowalczyk View Post

I am thinking about building a LaScala lower cabinet/horn with a bottom ported cabinet modification.
                    Just curious. Could you explain that further please?

Comment

djg
                      YO

Comment

billfitzmaurice Ive been looking at many of your designs for years and is definitely and option as I do have the space for dual THTs or Titans.

quick question. Is horn length calculated (1125/4)/FreqHz?
                        YO

Comment

That would be the minimum length for a given cutoff frequency. The LaScala path is about 2.6 feet, that's why it doesn't have a very good low end. For comparison my DR280, also a W horn, has a 3 foot path length. I specify it for a crossover of 80 to 100Hz. The Tuba HT path length is eleven feet.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com
                          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by killerkowalczyk View Post
                            devnull fpitas I said 4 midrange drivers, not a 4” midrange driver. In a series parallel configuration and using pro drivers either 4 5” or 4 6.5” drivers the sensitivity should easily be in the 97db realm in a line array configuration.

Quite frankly I think that horn loaded mids and highs sound awful. Additionally I am trying to build a system where the mids and highs match the bass. I have built three pairs of speakers in the past and have listen to countless commercial built speakers and I have yet to come across any of them where I didnt want to turn up the bass on the preamp significantly.
                            OK, , my mistake, now I understand. If you're going pro drivers you might think about using 4 16 ohm drivers wired in parallel. Take advantage of the power handling and should be able to hit a sensitivity of over 100dB and keep the impedance over 4 ohms.

Comment

I think Bill has some good points if you are only using the LaScala for its bass output. You can probably do better other ways. Especially since the stock crossover is useless to you.
                              Francis

Comment

Working...
                              X