New TV/audio question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV/audio question.

I watch very little TV, but recently upgraded to a new one and it does not have analog outputs like my previous one did. I assume this is common, and I'm out of touch, but is there a way to connect an analog two channel amp (I neither need nor want surround) without losing audio level control from the TV/remote? I can connect with an optical output adapter but lose volume control to the power amp.

Any ideas or am I destined to own a surround receiver?

IMO if you don't have a surround AVR and surround speakers you might as well listen to the internal/infernal TV speakers.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      IMO if you don't have a surround AVR and surround speakers you might as well listen to the internal/infernal TV speakers.
      This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Stock TV speakers sound like pooo. Using a good stereo is such an obvious improvement. I'm not sure why having goofy sound effects emanating from the rear and sides is so great, unless you're watching a Michael Bay action movie. A huge amount of TV content is still just people talking, and people talking still sounds much better with a good stereo setup, with the TV between the speakers.

Comment

Using a good stereo was an improvement worth doing the first time I did so, circa 1972. Not having surround in this day and age, that's silly.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Something like this might work. Not sure if your TV remote is programmable. If not a universal remote could do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Digit.../dp/B07FCKQPGT

Comment

I recently was confronted with the same problem as my TV died. At Best Buy I told them I needed a 32-inch TV with analog audio outputs whose volume could be controlled via the TV to drive an external 2-channel power amp. They said, "this one will do that" and I took it home. When I unpacked it I found, however, that it had only a digital output for audio. So, I took it back and they searched their inventory for what I wanted and told me they didn't have any as no manufacturers offered it they claimed. However, I looked over the guy's shoulder as he was scrolling through their inventory's spec sheets. He was looking at the specs for a Vizio TV and said, "nope, it doesn't have what you want", but I had him scroll more slowly and saw, "Analog stereo sound output connections". I'm very happy with my new Vizio TV (and have absolutely no interest in Surround Sound).
            Paul

Originally posted by zomby woof View Post
            I watch very little TV, but recently upgraded to a new one and it does not have analog outputs like my previous one did. I assume this is common, and I'm out of touch, but is there a way to connect an analog two channel amp (I neither need nor want surround) without losing audio level control from the TV/remote? I can connect with an optical output adapter but lose volume control to the power amp.

Any ideas or am I destined to own a surround receiver?

Comment

Most sets I've looked at have a headphone out that will work for 2 ch audio.

Comment

Using a good stereo was an improvement worth doing the first time I did so, circa 1972. Not having surround in this day and age, that's silly.
                I don’t understand why you think this. The improvement from my stock TV speakers to what I have now is literally night and day. For someone that doesn’t spend a huge amount of time in front of a TV, I fail to see why it’s silly. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You use an iPhone. Why not one of these?

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

I don’t post often because I try to keep my mouth shut and learn from the people on this board. I used to post more on the Mad board, for those who remember. I like a lot of the positions you take Bill but...
                    That is the dumbest straw man argument I’ve seen on this board!
                    I use my modified ZD5’s as a stereo pair for watching tv. I don’t watch a lot but if you think the tv speakers would sound better than those your delusional. I have friends who come over to listen and are blown away by what they hear. You’ve done yourself a disservice here mate!

Comment

Even if a TV has an analog out not all will attenuate the volume thought the analog connection. Most Samsung TV's I have used will not. The TCL Roku TV and the Vizio I have will do it. There is an option in the menu to do so.

You could use a dac/preamp with a remote, but that will probably not be controllable with your tv remote. The cheapest one I know of under 100$ is the SMSL sanskrit 10th. I do see that chads comment above. He links you one from amazon. It looks cheap enough for you to try and see if it works. I wouldn't want to depend on that poor quality looking remote though. You will need to a programmable remote that can clone ir signals,

Honestly, the most simple solution if you only want to use one remote is to get an avr and use your TV's arc hdmi port. Just make sure your AVR and TV support arc control. The entry level yamaha I have works great with arc control. The volume control works great with the remote and the unit automatically powers down when I turn off my tv.

If you could still return your tv and get one that has analog ports that can be attenuated with your tv remote that would be the cheapest option. I use a Dayton apa 150 with my Vizio living room TV and it works very well. It sounds much better than the Yamaha avr it replaced. That just my personal opinion though.

Comment

Now that that's settled, you'll want to future proof your setup as much as possible. The latest standard available to consumers appears to be 13.2. I expect that will serve you well until the year 2021.

22.2 is just around the corner, though, so start saving. I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by nigelb View Post
                          I don’t watch a lot but if you think the tv speakers would sound better than those your delusional. I have friends who come over to listen and are blown away by what they hear. You’ve done yourself a disservice here mate!
                          Try reading what I've said with a mind towards comprehension rather than knee jerking. Nowhere did I say that the TV speakers would sound better than stereo speakers. My point is that if you're going to do something do it right. Using stereo for TV pales in comparison to surround, even if all you're watching is the news. If you're not aware of this because you don't have a good surround system then you literally don't know what you're missing. Reference the name of this forum. It's tech talk, not obsolete tech talk.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Thank you for the interesting replies

I tried the headphone jack first and while it is still possible to control volume, you have to go through too many steps to access it in the menu to make it a workable solution.

The desire for a single (or at least no more) remote is for my Wife's sake.

As for why I don't want a surround receiver, there are a few reasons. I've not been crazy about the ones I've heard, I listen to music on the same setup, and the main one is that it would add unnecessary complexity that, in my opinion, and situation, doesn't warrant it.

My truck has an aftermarket head unit that has far too many features and is so complicated that, if I don't drive it for a little while, I can't remember how to do the the simplest things. I have memory problems and I don't need another gadget that frustrates me like that stupid head unit. I used to be the guy that people went to when they couldn't get their stuff to work. I am no longer that guy.

I will put that optical converter on the top of my list. It's another remote, but at least it's small and simple, and I might be able to get my current remote to work with it. Either way, for the cost it's probably worth a try.

On a side note, while researching this very thing a few weeks ago I came across a product from KEF, the V300, that did exactly what I was looking for. Power amp and two speakers,plug and play. It was on sale to the tune of 75% off so I bought it figuring KEF equipment, especially for what it originally costs, would surely sound better than my home built stuff. I was wrong. Not only did it not sound good, it only worked for a few days. So I returned it and got my money back. It was a good idea, though.

Comment

I didn't see Bill's last reply until after I posted but memory problems and unnecessary complexity aside, if I may offer an analogy, it's this: Most of the people I know drive really nice modern cars and trucks. They are very comfortable, high tech, and quite pricey. I drive a 15 year old Echo hatch with a manual transmission and roll up windows. My truck has the same features and not only do they do everything I need, I'm very happy with both of them.

Try reading what I've said with a mind towards comprehension rather than knee jerking.
                              Solid advice. Keep it in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X