Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zomby woof View Post
    Thank you for the interesting replies

...My truck has an aftermarket head unit that has far too many features and is so complicated that, if I don't drive it for a little while, I can't remember how to do the the simplest things. I have memory problems and I don't need another gadget that frustrates me like that stupid head unit. I used to be the guy that people went to when they couldn't get their stuff to work. I am no longer that guy....
    FWIW, this isn't just you, or because you may be old. While modern electronics can stuff a lot of powerful features in a box, the user interface is typically awful. I've had this issue with both head units and AVR's. Features are hidden under multiple levels of menus that are not obvious at first glance. Add to that a typically small display, and even the simplest settings require that the use have the manual in hand, and their reading glasses on. The failure isn't in the user, it's in the interface.

Comment

Chad's link in post #5 seems good to me.

As far as an AVR, you can run them in stereo mode, plus you may just go a bit modern with a subwoofer. I have a 5.1 system, I like it. I can do stereo with a remote button push.

I just bought a new truck, base model with a minimum of gadgets. I'm driving a GMC Terrain loaner while the dealer gets some options put on. My last truck was a 2003. My new truck level of gadgets is acceptable, the loaded Terrain seems to me unnecessarily equipped with distracting crap. My take.

Comment

As for why I don't want a surround receiver, there are a few reasons. I've not been crazy about the ones I've heard, I listen to music on the same setup, and the main one is that it would add unnecessary complexity that, in my opinion, and situation, doesn't warrant it.
        I agree on that. IMO a system sounds best when it replicates how the media was mixed. Surround for TV sounds much better than stereo, because TV and movies are mixed in surround, even the news and the weather. If the material is old enough to have been mixed in mono it still sounds better on a surround system because of the center channel. You don't need to scroll though this that and the other format choice, put the receiver in automatic mode and forget about it. However, music is mixed in stereo, at least the music that I listen to. It doesn't sound right in surround. No problem, the AVR remote should have a button to choose between surround and stereo. If you mainly listen to music make sure any AVR you're considering has that feature.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I watch very little TV, but recently upgraded to a new one and it does not have analog outputs like my previous one did. I assume this is common, and I'm out of touch, but is there a way to connect an analog two channel amp (I neither need nor want surround) without losing audio level control from the TV/remote? I can connect with an optical output adapter but lose volume control to the power amp.

Any ideas or am I destined to own a surround receiver?
          I did a quick search for what you're looking for on Google and found a number of them that will do what you want. I suspect, but didn't look, that PE also has it available.

HTH

Jim

Comment

I didn't, that's why I posted here. Would you mind posting a link?

Worst case, can anybody recommend a simple surround receiver, or integrated amp?

Comment

OP- you could always get a Logitech Harmony remote and program the macro to turn on and off what is required for each activity. That's what I did, or my wife wouldn't know what to do either. Do not throw the other remotes away though. The TV remote for example contains the coding for repairs and such as well, and it's important in the case of something like that.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I didn't, that's why I posted here. Would you mind posting a link?

Worst case, can anybody recommend a simple surround receiver, or integrated amp?
                Sorry, PE doesn't allow links to competitors posted in the forum. If you can't find it on PE, check Amazon and you'll find several.

Jim

Comment

Right now, I'm using a 3.1 system with my TV, mostly because I have a really nice set of LCR speakers and a sub I like. The TV room is small, so even though my high-zoot AVR is capable of 7.2 or a dozen other configurations, the current setup suits me fine. I've screwed around with all sorts of surround sound schemes from back in the Pro Logic days, and finally decided it's just too many gimmicks for me. I don't give a rat's patoot if some movie is mixed so the helicopter flies over my head from front left to right rear. I do very much want to hear dialog clearly. Yes a carefully tuned surround system can sound great, but so can an excellent pair of stereo speakers. I haven't heard TV speakers that sounded as good as a $50 boom box, so I would certainly dig out my old stereo receiver and use that before ever putting up with the tiny tinny ones in the idjit box.

All those blasted menus on the AVR, the TV, the BluRay player, & etc. that have different functions for various buttons and different behavior on screen from one to the next are endlessly annoying. Since I hate the Netflix TV interface, and can tolerate the one on the PC, I bought a new computer and hooked it up to the system just so I can navigate with a mouse. It's pretty sad when the addition of Windows 10 makes things work better!

Comment

The lack of variable analog outputs on new TVs has really irritated me as well. I have a great surround sound system but don't want to fire up a processor and 3 amps every time I want to watch the news. And I don't want the complexity of an integrated remote - costly and in my experience, needs reprogramming every other month. It seems it would cost a manufacturer $5 to add the outputs, and I would be willing to pay $50-100 extra.

I did find a cable box a few years ago that had analog RCA outputs that could be configured to fixed or variable. That worked great until I moved and had to change cable providers and the box.

I did see a post on another site that showed the step by step procedure of tapping into the speaker circuit of the tv and creating a variable line level output to connect to an amp. Required removing the back of the tv and likely voiding the warranty. Any other ideas? I just want to turn on the tv with one click, have decent sound and one remote. We put a man on the moon 50 years ago but can't solve this?

Comment

I won't watch TV without my surround system running, it's that good. I do remember once upon a time having to turn the TV and AVR on separately, but that was many moons ago. The universal remote that came with my combination cable box/DVR turns the cable box, TV and AVR on or off in sequence, so it's a one button push and done. It controls the cable box channel searching and changing, recording and playback, AVR volume, and the functions of my smart TV, including navigating to the Amazon Prime app. The dedicated remotes for my TV and AVR just collect dust.
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

As to the reprogramming possibility or presupposition, I have only had to reprogram my Harmony remote if I wanted to change the program. Oh- but they do eat batteries. I've invested in rechargeables for pretty much everything, so that is of a lesser concern.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
                          The lack of variable analog outputs on new TVs has really irritated me as well. I have a great surround sound system but don't want to fire up a processor and 3 amps every time I want to watch the news. And I don't want the complexity of an integrated remote - costly and in my experience, needs reprogramming every other month. It seems it would cost a manufacturer $5 to add the outputs, and I would be willing to pay $50-100 extra.

I did find a cable box a few years ago that had analog RCA outputs that could be configured to fixed or variable. That worked great until I moved and had to change cable providers and the box.

I did see a post on another site that showed the step by step procedure of tapping into the speaker circuit of the tv and creating a variable line level output to connect to an amp. Required removing the back of the tv and likely voiding the warranty. Any other ideas? I just want to turn on the tv with one click, have decent sound and one remote. We put a man on the moon 50 years ago but can't solve this?
                          I took a quick look at Best Buy, and they have several, or more, tvs with analog out. The Insignia, and Sharp 50" both list it in the specs. I know that in the past, many smaller sets I looked at for friends also had headphone jacks that work. My sister's setup uses a direct connection from the tv to an integrated amp. It's a 40" Insignia that was purchased a few months ago. Volume change is made by the TV remote, or at the amp.

Comment

I took a quick look at Best Buy, and they have several, or more, tvs with analog out. The Insignia, and Sharp 50" both list it in the specs. I know that in the past, many smaller sets I looked at for friends also had headphone jacks that work. My sister's setup uses a direct connection from the tv to an integrated amp. It's a 40" Insignia that was purchased a few months ago. Volume change is made by the remote, or at the amp.

Comment

Some suggestions ....

(1) As stated by other members here, there are modules that will take a TV's digital out and convert to 2-channel analog.
                              (2) Being in the same situation (no analog out, no room for AVR in office), went inside the TV and took it's internal amp outputs out to 3.5mm jack. Driving some full range speakers from that output
                              (3) Many cable service boxes have analog out, and, the ability to set the box so the remote's volume buttons control the volume from inside the box to it's analog out. It's pretty simple to set the external amp volume at a fixed setting that will work well with the box's variable, quasi line level, analog output.

The last suggestion would be my preference if I had an external amp to drive the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                                I won't watch TV without my surround system running, it's that good. I do remember once upon a time having to turn the TV and AVR on separately, but that was many moons ago. The universal remote that came with my combination cable box/DVR turns the cable box, TV and AVR on or off in sequence, so it's a one button push and done. It controls the cable box channel searching and changing, recording and playback, AVR volume, and the functions of my smart TV, including navigating to the Amazon Prime app. The dedicated remotes for my TV and AVR just collect dust.
                                Bill,

I wish mine was that good! The sound is disappointing via my fiber optic TV output to Emotiva UMC-1 pre-pro using DD 5.1 on broadcast TV. The speech is not as clear as it should be. Yet, when I stream 2 channel PBS or you-tube videos via an HDMI input, the overall audio quality is what I would expect. Blu-ray movies over HDMI are also fine.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Marv

Comment

Working...
                                X