No announcement yet.

New TV/audio question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has been an interesting read on suggestions for getting improved audio when watching TV. I agree that it is too bad that manufacturers have moved away from providing variable analog audio out on their TVs. The multi-channel craze has made this unimportant to them. Having a means of getting that L-R audio out doesn't always equate to an enjoyable listening experience in my opinion. As a middle school tech and de facto tech support for the family, there have been several situations where a multi-track encoded source, such as a DVD on a computer in a classroom, was being played and the dialog was very hard to hear over the background effects/music/etc on the stereo speakers. I know that this one example is unique, but the other situations I could describe are unique as well because different media/hardware is involved...and that's my point. I'm sure there are settings on the TV/DVD player/computer software to sample the audio differently so the dialog would be improved, but here we are using remotes or navigating menus which can be annoying. There are differing opinions how many speakers are needed and how they are tuned/setup. Whether you have a 2 channel setup or AVR at home, I think we all can agree on the importance of dialog levels and find it easy to identify if they are not correct. I have a Yamaha AVR at home which I bought a few years back to replace another Yamaha which was in great working order. The reason I made the switch was for convenience; the new AVR had built in HDMI switching with HDMI-CEC, internet connectivity for streaming audio, multi-zone audio, and app to control it via phone/etc. My family didn't understand why the new receiver was needed if it was going to spit out the same 5.1 channels. The new one is 7.1, but I don't feel the need to add 2 more speakers...but again I haven't tried it. Well, the setup was very easy with the included microphone (the old one didn't have this feature). It provided a good baseline and I only did some minimal tweaking. Don't get wrong, you could spend endless time tinkering. After its initial hardware and software setup, I haven't made a change in years. I leave it set on the default decoding (no added effects) and it recognizes the input encoding from the source and adjusts the channels used on it's own. Whether dialog is coming out L-R or L-C-R it's at the level intended by the source. I have DVR computer (essentially a cable box DVR) and a chromecast connected as inputs. The following features are what sold the family. If I turn on the TV (using any remote or TV button itself), the AVR sees this and turns itself on. If I cast to the chromecast, the TV and AVR turn on and it switches to the chromecast input. This was a big plus for the family. If I turn off the TV (or the timer turns it off), the AVR turns off. This is the HDMI-CEC in action. The ability to switch inputs or play streaming music on the second zone (wired speakers and via analog out to other rooms in the house) was another big plus for the family. This all goes back to convenience for me, tech support seems endless in my life and the AVR provides my family with an easy way to consume media (with good dialog) without asking me for help. Once you get past the initial setup, the features are great and convenient. On the other hand, my family doesn't bother turning on and using my pi based DACs, preamp, or amps to listen to music....
    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Just to chime in, hopefully not too late I got to take a vacation, put a voltage divider in the TV in place of the speakers and drive the amp with that. A couple of 1/2 watt resistors of 430 and 3.9 kohms should do the job.

Comment

Working...
      X