The quest for the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The quest for the best

This was fascinating, to this major nerd anyway. Imagine buying a radio receiver with 30 tubes, an 18" woofer, dual 12" woofers for the low-low price of $1500 in 1936?

https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/a...rucNcI3hi5MoCg
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

The 500kw WLW transmitter.

JIM HAWKINS' WLW Transmitter Page

Comment

Evidently big speakers attracted the babes back then. Crosley was an interesting guy.
      It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

No mention of the SQ at all. I wonder if you could heat your home with it?

Comment

Very impressive, especially for the time, I wonder if there are any left?

The 30s were a great decade for innovation: radar, television, tape recording and the helicopter, to name but a few inventions, all came from that period.

Thanks for the link!

Geoff

Comment

I reckon back then SQ was not a thing

Comment

All all that surface area, and no bass modulation...probably loud AF lol. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You were the neighborhood chick magnet if you had that in your parlor! I read that if a cell phone were constructed with tubes it would be the size of the Washington Monument.

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                  No mention of the SQ at all. I wonder if you could heat your home with it?
                  They had separate amps for mids/highs and lows. It was an ACTIVE multi-way speaker system!!! SQ was definitely a consideration.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

At Pete's suggestion, I am adding this photo of a speaker system built by Harry Olson (in the 50's I presume) as seen at InDIYana 2018, another quest for the best. It was a 15" coaxial in a unique enclosure, as you can see.

Steve

Comment

Can you check the path of that shortcut?

Comment

Originally posted by dst View Post
                        You were the neighborhood chick magnet if you had that in your parlor! I read that if a cell phone were constructed with tubes it would be the size of the Washington Monument.
                        And work about 5 minutes before another tube needed replacing lol.
                        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

And work about 5 minutes before another tube needed replacing lol.
                          My dad bought a Zenith table radio in the late 1950s. It is stuck on KMOX (1120 AM) as the tuner mechanism crumbled over time. But turn it on and wait a few minutes, and you can still listen to Cardinal Baseball as they chase another pennant.

Still has the original tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

My dad bought a Zenith table radio in the late 1950s. It is stuck on KMOX (1120 AM) as the tuner mechanism crumbled over time. But turn it on and wait a few minutes, and you can still listen to Cardinal Baseball as they chase another pennant.

Still has the original tubes.
                            Some last a while, some don't. But one of the biggest headaches with early tube computers was the constant tube replacement.
                            Francis

Comment

Originally posted by buggers View Post
                              Can you check the path of that shortcut?
                              Obviously that didn't work. I got a message that said the file was corrupted, so I 'll have to try another way of getting it here. I am at work, and that constricts me some. Maybe this evening if I get to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X