No announcement yet.

The quest for the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK here's another crack at it. Go to post "InDIYana 2018 dates are official" on this list, and see post 194--there are others but that was the first I came to. This was a speaker actually built by Harry Olson, 15" coax, in a donut shaped enclosure. It sounded remarkably good I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
      The 30s were a great decade for innovation: radar, television, tape recording and the helicopter, to name but a few inventions, all came from that period.
      Geoff
      Necessity is the mother of invention. War is the mother of necessity.

Comment

Lots of rich folks but also Hotels and bars used these in public areas too. A nice PA system. Hear the boxing match or regatta at your favorite bar.

Comment

One more try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0446.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1422697

Comment

PE seems to have solved the problem posting photos. This is the Harry Olson enclosure I mentioned in an earlier post, a 15" coaxial in a donut enclosure, which should eliminate most edge refractions.

Comment

craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

The "Big Brother" speaker, as it has it's eye on you!

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                  PE seems to have solved the problem posting photos. This is the Harry Olson enclosure I mentioned in an earlier post, a 15" coaxial in a donut enclosure, which should eliminate most edge refractions.
                  Edge diffraction is still there. Its just that the baffle step transition is now greatly smoothed. However, because the tweeter is not presented with the same smooth wall transition, there will probably be quite a bit of diffraction ripple in the upper octaves.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Is that available with maple frosting?
                    Francis

Comment

Can't you see it's a bagel, not a doughtnut!?
                      How about some cream-cheese?
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Bagel, schmagel!
                        Of course there is still diffraction, but ameliorated quite a bit by the enclosure.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                          Bagel, schmagel!
                          Of course there is still diffraction, but ameliorated quite a bit by the enclosure.

Steve
                          I doubt the enclosure does much above a few hundred hertz. That's still useful, but not a panacea.
                          Francis

Comment

I'm not sure if it was Olson, or one of the other pioneers, but someone published diffraction data on different enclosure shapes. The sphere was the least diffractive; this would approach that.
                            Harder to see in the photo, but the surface of the 15" cone was studded with pyramidal shaped projections; I'm sure that would mess up the diffraction from the tweeter considerably. I am not sure what the function of those was supposed to be.
                            Never claimed it to be a panacea, just of historical interest.

Steve

Comment

That's not a doughnut it's a piece of corn dog.

Comment

Each to his own.

Comment

Working...
                                X