Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0446.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1422697

Leave a comment:

• scholl
    replied
    Lots of rich folks but also Hotels and bars used these in public areas too. A nice PA system. Hear the boxing match or regatta at your favorite bar.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
    The 30s were a great decade for innovation: radar, television, tape recording and the helicopter, to name but a few inventions, all came from that period.
    Geoff
    Necessity is the mother of invention. War is the mother of necessity.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    OK here's another crack at it. Go to post "InDIYana 2018 dates are official" on this list, and see post 194--there are others but that was the first I came to. This was a speaker actually built by Harry Olson, 15" coax, in a donut shaped enclosure. It sounded remarkably good I thought.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Originally posted by buggers View Post
    Can you check the path of that shortcut?
    Obviously that didn't work. I got a message that said the file was corrupted, so I 'll have to try another way of getting it here. I am at work, and that constricts me some. Maybe this evening if I get to it.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

My dad bought a Zenith table radio in the late 1950s. It is stuck on KMOX (1120 AM) as the tuner mechanism crumbled over time. But turn it on and wait a few minutes, and you can still listen to Cardinal Baseball as they chase another pennant.

Still has the original tubes.
    Some last a while, some don't. But one of the biggest headaches with early tube computers was the constant tube replacement.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

And work about 5 minutes before another tube needed replacing lol.
    My dad bought a Zenith table radio in the late 1950s. It is stuck on KMOX (1120 AM) as the tuner mechanism crumbled over time. But turn it on and wait a few minutes, and you can still listen to Cardinal Baseball as they chase another pennant.

Still has the original tubes.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by dst View Post
    You were the neighborhood chick magnet if you had that in your parlor! I read that if a cell phone were constructed with tubes it would be the size of the Washington Monument.
    And work about 5 minutes before another tube needed replacing lol.

Leave a comment:

• buggers
    replied
    Can you check the path of that shortcut?

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    At Pete's suggestion, I am adding this photo of a speaker system built by Harry Olson (in the 50's I presume) as seen at InDIYana 2018, another quest for the best. It was a 15" coaxial in a unique enclosure, as you can see.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post
    No mention of the SQ at all. I wonder if you could heat your home with it?
    They had separate amps for mids/highs and lows. It was an ACTIVE multi-way speaker system!!! SQ was definitely a consideration.

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied
    You were the neighborhood chick magnet if you had that in your parlor! I read that if a cell phone were constructed with tubes it would be the size of the Washington Monument.

Leave a comment:

• kanemack
    replied
    All all that surface area, and no bass modulation...probably loud AF lol. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• buggers
    replied
    I reckon back then SQ was not a thing

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    Very impressive, especially for the time, I wonder if there are any left?

The 30s were a great decade for innovation: radar, television, tape recording and the helicopter, to name but a few inventions, all came from that period.

Thanks for the link!

Geoff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X