Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this work or would it cause an issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this work or would it cause an issue?

Hello again folks, I was getting stuck into building a corner office desk and going for a minimalist look (which happens to have a big old tv as a monitor), and thought to myself about builiding some speakers into the desk. What im not 100% sure about is the angle they would come out of the desk itself and if they would just fire above the users head or cause some issues with how they are being rescessed into the structure. As i have a few units which use the tectonics paired with the DTA-2 amp board, i would just want to use those and considering this table is 1600 to the kerf in both directions have plenty of real estate to build a 0.18 or 0.2 cu.ft enclosure per driver. The TV is wall mounted, so will not interfere with the driver placement.

I've attached a pretty average hand markup, which doesnt really paint the picture,but thought i would put this question to the brains trust.

Cheers

edit....cant upload a image.

imagine drivers being mounted underneath the table top around 30-45 degrees pointing towards the person in the seat. the hole would be cut into the top of the desk, but would assume the driver would be 100mm set back from the intersection point, putting it almost in a tunnel.

Not sure I have fully grasped the idea. When you work at the desk won't books, papers and other items cover the speakers? The best sound quality is likely to be obtained with speakers wall mounted on either side of the monitor both acoustically and keeping vibration out of the desk. What is the benefit of building them into the desk?

Comment

Not really being a corner desk it is quite deep which would put any speakers below the monitor. Really hard to describe with out the actual picture. Keep getting a message that the image is corrupt regardless of what browser or image I try

Comment

Also I already have my monitors, just thought two different timber finishes would drive me crazy

Comment

Ok, having some real issues uploading a photo, so below is a link to one.
          Image Untitled hosted in imgbb.com

Comment

any type of "tube" or enclosed space in front of a speaker is a big no-no (except for bandpass subs).Definitely keep them out of "beneath the surface" mountings if you want to maximize sound quality.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
              so below is a link to one.
              I am still not sure I have fully grasped what is being proposed. Is this a corner unit where you sit a few feet away to watch the screen or a desk where the keyboard, books and the like would cover the proposed speakers and a 43" the screen would seem too big/close for comfort? Or is the screen raised and the proposed speakers going in a gap underneath a bit like a soundbar?

Whatever, if reasonable sound quality is an objective then the speakers are almost certainly best placed either side of the screen and raised above the desk. High frequencies are directional and so speakers need to be pointed at the listener to hear a reasonable frequency balance. Are your proposed speakers pointing at the celiling, angled at the listener above/below the top of the desk?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                any type of "tube" or enclosed space in front of a speaker is a big no-no (except for bandpass subs).Definitely keep them out of "beneath the surface" mountings if you want to maximize sound quality.
                Cheers, that was what I wasn't sure about. I was trying to avoid having two types of wood finishes and in an attempt to hide things could have made an epic mistake

Comment

Originally posted by andy19191 View Post

I am still not sure I have fully grasped what is being proposed. Is this a corner unit where you sit a few feet away to watch the screen or a desk where the keyboard, books and the like would cover the proposed speakers and a 43" the screen would seem too big/close for comfort? Or is the screen raised and the proposed speakers going in a gap underneath a bit like a soundbar?

Whatever, if reasonable sound quality is an objective then the speakers are almost certainly best placed either side of the screen and raised above the desk. High frequencies are directional and so speakers need to be pointed at the listener to hear a reasonable frequency balance. Are your proposed speakers pointing at the celiling, angled at the listener above/below the top of the desk?
                  Monitor is wall mounted and will be floating above the desk. The intention was being an office desk, that the user would have their elbows in line with the top of the desk (mainly me @ 6'2) and speakers would be angled towards the operator. It was a bit of a wacky idea and wouldn't work if we wanted to play music to listen elsewhere in the house like we do now.

Maybe the lesser of the two evils is to rebuild my desktop full ranges into something that matches the current look.

Comment

I get it (I think). You're best bet may be a slim soundbar attached under the tv and a sub in the body of the desk to handle the bass. That would fit your "motif". Lots of great small sub designs here that could be built into the desk ... Paul Carmody's "Voxel" is well regarded, very pleasing low end bass and enough power for desk setup. With that, you can pick a sound bar that excelshhigher up the frequency range (250+ Hz) without trying to be a HT bar.

Comment

I ended up installing everything, I will look at some alternative solutions, a sound bar of sorts could work
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X