Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation to "hide" baffle imperfection

Hi,

I made a couple of TM speakers from MDF and then applied veneer over them... all good, except that I made the baffle cutout on raw MDF and then applied the veneer, so, I cad to properly cut a circle on the veneer. I have a couple of router bits that help with this, but in this case, but the recessed cutout on the speaker (where the speaker lip seats) was only 3mm deep (it's a Dayton 5" drive), so my router bits would not work... I had to do it with a Dremel and a spinning sand tool...

The results where not good, and with the finished speaker you can clearly see the circle imperfections in the woofers and in the tweeters! So I need to hide or camouflage this imperfections by adding a properly cut ring or something over the outer diameter of the woofer and another the tweeter ...

This "ring" should be made of wood? vinyl? maybe felt? or even cork?

a MDF or wood ring would probably affect SQ due to it's thickness, correct?

I will upload a picture later to show you the problem...

Thanks in advance for your recomendations.

For future reference use a veneer bit made for this job. Veneer supply sources carry them.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      For future reference use a veneer bit made for this job. Veneer supply sources carry them.
      This is the "smallest" trimmer I've found (Freud 64-100)...

https://www.freudtools.com/products/64-100

I do own this bit, but it is still to big for the work.

Comment

The tip on that is too long for trimming the veneer on a recess. This Whiteside works very well:
        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Bills bit is what I use for your situation. FYI, a small trim router is great for this bit as it is much more fragile than normal bits. Harbor Freight has a good trim router for 30 something bucks that works fine.

To fix your problem. Screw a board behind the baffle. Then attach another board in the middle section at the same thickness as the front of baffle. Find center of driver opening by marking hole to hole. Re router a larger opening by 1/8", fill the gap with PEs foam speaker gasket tape. I'll get you a link...
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Here it is: https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...-roll--260-542
            they also have 3/8" thick as well.

overlap the seam a bit and cut with razor. You won't see the seam.

post pics please before and after if you wouldn't mind. I'd love to see how it comes out. I screw up all the time, don't feel bad. ):
            TomZ
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              The tip on that is too long for trimming the veneer on a recess. This Whiteside works very well:
              Next time I will get that Whitesidebit... do you know the lenght of the tip?

Tom, thanks for your suggestion, but It's really a ton of work. The speakers are finished, so unless I can fix them without disassembling, then OK. I will upload a picture for you to check.

Comment

I have to admit to being lazy - I just used a speaker grille when I made a similar mistake....

Geoff

Comment

The tip is about 1/8" long, so it will work with a recess depth as shallow as just over 1/8". IMO if you're not recessing by at least that much it's not worth doing anyway.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by mga2009 View Post

Next time I will get that Whitesidebit... do you know the lenght of the tip?
                    I have the same bit, works great. The tip is too long for small driver/tweeter recceses though. I ground mine down to about 1/16" and now its perfect.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63077.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	1422626

Comment

Originally posted by mga2009 View Post

This is the "smallest" trimmer I've found (Freud 64-100)...

https://www.freudtools.com/products/64-100

I do own this bit, but it is still to big for the work.
                      Take a grinder to the bit and make the follower on the bottom shorter, then it should be about the equivalent of Bill's bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post

I have the same bit, works great. The tip is too long for small driver/tweeter recceses though. I ground mine down to about 1/16" and now its perfect.
                        +1

Carbon13

Comment

Thanks all for your help.

I will, eventually, get the Whiteside bit and/or file the Freud I have.

The speaker grills are a nice solution, and I tihnk I will consider it.

For now, I leave you a picture for you:

Comment

I'm not a fan of those router trimming bits as the recess is to shallow on most tweeters and smaller drivers. I prefer to drill or route a through hole then use a rabbeting bit. You have to do math to calculate the through hole but I've not had an issue. By using a repeatable rabbet size you can rabbet the driver cut outs before and after veneer. I use a piece of tape on the router bearing to tighten up the veneer cut out.

The oversize cutout, if you go the way, can also be filled with peel and stick felt cut into strips with a rotary cutter.
                            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                              I'm not a fan of those router trimming bits as the recess is to shallow on most tweeters and smaller drivers. I prefer to drill or route a through hole then use a rabbeting bit. You have to do math to calculate the through hole but I've not had an issue. By using a repeatable rabbet size you can rabbet the driver cut outs before and after veneer. I use a piece of tape on the router bearing to tighten up the veneer cut out.

The oversize cutout, if you go the way, can also be filled with peel and stick felt cut into strips with a rotary cutter.
                              Next time, I will cut the hole with the veneer already applied. Did this with another speakers and was so much easier! You have to be careful not to mess with the veneer, but that's OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X