How Far Can You Take This?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Far Can You Take This?

I just came across this idea of equalizing a woofer in a sealed cabinet below the F3 frequency. I gather its not unheard of to use equalization to flatten the response of a sealed cabinet woofer to a full octave below its F3 point, which of course would require +12dB more power and the amp that could provide it.

My question is this -- if you select a specific Qtc for your sealed box and then equalize down to a full octave below F3, do you retain that Qtc? In other words, won't the damping you've achieved with a specific sealed box design be affected by such extensive low frequency equalization?

Yes, the apparent Q will be that of the acoustic response.
    Francis

Comment

Thanks!

Which makes me think of a related question -- if a speaker intended for a subwoofer has a rated power rating of 800 W rms, does that apply to frequencies below F3 as well? That is, if you're going to equalize the speaker in the sealed cabinet, flat to something approaching the octave below F3, can you assume the published maximum power rating will still apply to that frequency range?

Comment

Sure, although at some point you'll exceed Xmax and beat the voice coil to death
        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
          Sure, although at some point you'll exceed Xmax and beat the voice coil to death
          Yeah, cone displacement per watt increases with lowering frequency. Very few woofers would survive their rated power at 20hz, and those are the overbuilt ones.

Comment

Perhaps you already know this, but what you are proposing is called a Linkwitz transform. You can model all aspects (frequency response, amplifier power required, resulting cone excursion, etc.) in WinISD.
            "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
            X